Wolf Season by Helen Benedict

Wolf Season

by Helen Benedict

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Such a great story about a group of people feeling the aftereffects of the Iraqi war. From veteran Rin who lost her husband in the war and was viciously betrayed by her own troop, to Naema the refugee who is working hard to become a doctor in America who helps veterans and their children. And Beth, whose husband returns to her and their son an abusive, violent man who can't outrun his PTSD. Add in a couple of remarkably adaptable children, three pet wolves and the compassion and empathy this group has for each other, this book was a very quick, well written, highly interesting read. I won this book via LibraryThing. ( )
  mandersj73 | Feb 26, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Once I started reading, I wanted to keep reading in order to find out what happens to the characters, especially the women characters. These are characters I don't read about frequently (I'm generally not a reader of war stories/post-war stories), so I found their points of view interesting. The story is told slowly, and I like that, but the last few chapters feel rushed. Nonetheless, I enjoyed reading this novel filled with very current and difficult issues. ( )
  LisaDeNiscia | Feb 6, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The idea for this book is really interesting and I loved how the author depicted the effects of war. I did think that the plot moved a little slowly and some parts of the ending felt too convenient, but other than that it was a nice read. ( )
  CatherineHsu | Nov 23, 2017 |
Another fine war-related novel by the author of Sand Queen. This one's focus is on three women: Rin, a veteran and war widow with a young, blind and blindingly perceptive daughter; Beth, a mother whose husband is serving in Afghanistan and replays the war on her physically when he gets leave; and Naema, an Iraqui refugee and war widow, from the Sand Queen cast of characters, who has become a doctor and settled as a refugee in upstate NY with her son Tariq. The women and the children are encircled by another vet, Louis, and by Rin's coterie of wolves, whom she has raised to be wild yet dependent on her.

As the story begins, a hurricane strikes, and Naema is badly injured. Beth's husband Todd returns home on leave to find his car destroyed by flood waters from a dam bursting, and decides to do the same to his family. Beth's son Flanner, suffering from exposure to his father, lies and tells his mother that he's been attacked by the wolves.

Every character, even Beth's brutal husband, rings sadly truthful, and is portrayed with sensitivity and compassion. But the reader is drawn more to the wolf pack that shows more strength and wisdom than the humans. This is a fine series of portraits from a skilled author.

Quote: "Quite a few friends, she knows, dropped her because they couldn't stand Todd, for which she can hardly blame them. But the others? Is it that Todd has turned her into a person no one wants to be around anymore?" ( )
  froxgirl | Nov 11, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An intense compelling read about the irreparable damage, long reaching effects, and consequences of war. It's not always an easy read but it is a good read. It examines not only the impact of war on those in war but also on their family members. PTSD is accurately portrayed ( )
  PiperUp | Oct 17, 2017 |

"After a hurricane devastates a small town in upstate New York, the lives of three women and their young children are irrevocably changed. Rin, an Iraq War veteran, tries to protect her blind daughter and the three wolves under her care. Naema, a widowed doctor who fled Iraq with her wounded son, faces life-threatening injuries. Beth, who is raising a troubled son, waits out her marine husband's deployment in Afghanistan, equally afraid of him coming home and of him never returning at all. As they struggle to maintain their humanity and find hope, their war-torn lives collide in a way that will affect their entire community"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Helen Benedict's book Wolf Season is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,027,466 books! | Top bar: Always visible