The Winter Station by Jody Shields

The Winter Station (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Jody Shields (Author)

Member:SESchend
Title:The Winter Station
Authors:Jody Shields (Author)
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2018), 352 pages
Tags:to-read

The Winter Station by Jody Shields (2018)

The book described the plague event very vividly and the characters were well developed. However, the story line is more like a documentary that described the event with fictionalized characters. It is well done on the description. ( )
  Baochuan | Jun 14, 2018 |
At first, I didn't like this book, but I was captivated with the plot of a plague of death seeking so many, both Russian and Chinese, and many one foolish to touch an infected person without covering their face and hands! The book was set in 1910 in Kharbin, a Russian ruled major railway outpost in North China. Masses are dying, the dead bodies frozen in the streets so crowded that the unaffected feared to touch the dead or they would become infected too. Russian generals feared to let the world know, otherwise chaos would reigned supreme, as they always feared that Japan and China would take over the territory that was slipping out of their control. ( )
  HOTCHA | Jun 5, 2018 |
While I can't say I loved this book, it did transport me to a place I knew little about - Russian-controlled Manchuria in the early 20th century during an outbreak of plague. The main character is a Russian doctor who must work with both Russian and Chinese colleagues to flight an epidemic that was not fully understood. I felt like the characters could have been more distinctive and better developed, but the setting piqued my interest - and I'll definitely be hunting down some more reading to understand this time and place. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | May 27, 2018 |
The Winter Station byJody Shields once again reaffirms the role historical fiction plays in introducing me to history I don't know. I end up spending more time with the history than the story itself. The history is fascinating. The story as told in the book is compelling in the intensity of the situation but less interesting to read. Nothing much happens. The book is slow-paced and sometimes repetitive with an abrupt ending.

Read my complete review at http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2018/05/the-winter-station.html

Reviewed for NetGalley ( )
  njmom3 | May 6, 2018 |
I won an Advance Reader's Edition in a GOODREADS giveaway sponsored by Little, Brown and Company. ( )
  tenamouse67 | Jan 6, 2018 |

In this gorgeous, suspenseful novel, a Russian aristocrat races to stop a plague spreading from an isolated Manchurian city to the rest of the world. Based on a true story, this novel was inspired by the author's discovery of a long-lost book by a Russian doctor who chronicled a plague epidemic in Manchuria in 1910. A multi-series international television production of Shields' first novel "The Fig Eater" is currently in the works. Print run 75,000.1910. People are dying at an alarming rate in the Russian-ruled city of Kharbin, a major railway outpost in Northern China. Some of the dead bodies vanish before they can be identified. The Baron, a wealthy Russian aristocrat and the city's medical commissioner, is determined to stop this mysterious plague. Torn between duty and compassion, between Western medical science and respect for Chinese tradition, his allies include a French doctor, a black marketeer, and a charismatic Chinese dwarf. His greatest refuge is the intimacy he shares with his young Chinese wife... but she has secrets of her own.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,412,591 books! | Top bar: Always visible