Poison: A Novel (Dismas Hardy) by John…

Poison: A Novel (Dismas Hardy) (edition 2018)

by John Lescroart (Author)

"Dismas Hardy is looking forward to cutting back his work hours and easing into retirement after recovering from two gunshot wounds. He is determined to spend more time with his family and even reconnect with his distant son, Vincent. But Dismas just can't stay away from the courtroom for long and soon he is pulled into an intense family drama with fatal consequences. Grant Wagner, the vigorous patriarch of the Wagner family and its four-generations owned family business, has been murdered. His bookkeeper Abby Jarvis, whom Hardy had defended on a DUI charge eleven years prior, is the prime suspect after police discover she's been embezzling funds from the company--but she insists she did not kill her boss. As he prepares to defend her, Dismas investigates the Wagner clan and discovers the dark, twisted secrets within the family. It seems that Abby was not the only one who stood to profit from the company's $25 million dollar market value. From jealous children to gold-digging girlfriends, Dismas has his work cut out for him in sifting through mud flinging, backstabbing, and accusations of blackmail. But Dismas not only has to save his client's life but his own, as it soon becomes clear that someone has painted a target on his back, too."--Amazon.com.… (more)
Member:petrichor8
Title:Poison: A Novel (Dismas Hardy)
Authors:John Lescroart (Author)
Info:Atria Books (2018), 304 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Poison by John Lescroart

Dismas Hardy is a tired lawyer, dragged into a dangerous case. Kept me guessing and interested. ( )
  librarygeek33 | Jan 23, 2019 |
As a fan of legal thriller books, I would classify this one as a let down. I felt the story line was too predictable. As soon as Joey’s financial problems were mentioned I had him pegged as the killer. I think the author could have done a better job of having additional twists and turns in the plot specifically around the family owned business. Or even, further developing the story of Abby in jail. Maybe something actually happening to Vincent other than hey he knew two of the people that were killed. Something, anything to add some excitement. I really wanted to like this book as I’m always looking for new lawyer books/series, but it just wasn’t exciting and creative enough. I don’t think I’ll be going out of my way to read other books by this author. ( )
  mattstadtmueller | Jan 3, 2019 |
Poison is the 17th entry in John Lescroart's long running Dismas Hardy series.

A former client of Dismas has been charged with murder. Her employer has been poisoned - and she stands to benefit from the will. But, there are a myriad of other suspects. It's a family business and any of the man's relatives had an opportunity to kill him. And as Dismas digs into their lives, looking to clear his client, he discovers they all have secrets - and motives.

I've always enjoyed Dismas as a lead character - he's intelligent, cagey and driven to find answers. The supporting cast has always included now retired SFPD Lieutenant Abe Glitsky. They play well off of each other, with differing personalities and styles, but with an eye on the prize - catching the guilty. (Glitsky has a few novels where he is the lead character.) PI Wyatt Hunt is also a fave supporting player of mine.

The murder method in Poison was unusual and clever. Dismas's sussing out of the murderer was just as clever. The whodunit is somewhat revealed before the final aha, but the path to those final answers was enjoyable and entertaining.

I enjoyed the return to Hardy's roots - murder, defense and the courtroom. Some of the previous entries became too convoluted and a bit far fetched for my taste.

Lescroart has moved the series along in real time, with the players aging and evolving. The Hardy family life has figured into the plots over the years. Dismas is now looking at making a change as well and has been contemplating retirement. I will be curious to see where Lescroart takes him in the next book. Although Posion is part of a series, it can be read as a stand-alone.

I chose to listen to Poison. The reader was Jacques Roy - a narrator I've quite enjoyed in other books. He has a calm, quiet voice that suits the character of Dismas. His speaking is well paced, well modulated and easy to understand with a slight gravelly tone. That measured pace draws the listener into the story. ( )
  Twink | Mar 27, 2018 |
I received a free e-copy of this book and have chosen to write an honest and unbiased review. I have no personal affiliation with the author. Why have I never read anything by John Lescroart before? He tells a great story. I enjoyed the reference to a C. J. Box novel and the ‘turtle with a head cold’ comment by the Inspector. This is a very well written legal thriller with a great plot, excellent character development, and full of unexpected twists and turns. The action never quits. A bookkeeper with a prior record is suspected of ‘cooking the books’ and murdering her boss. During the time she is in jail there are two more murders. Are they tied together and how? There are lies, family secrets, and drama. I couldn’t put it down. This book is well worth the read and I look forward to reading more from John Lescroart in the future. ( )
  iadam | Feb 14, 2018 |
I am not really a big fan of legal thrillers especially if it contains pages among pages among pages (you get the drift) of court proceedings. Especially the ones that they are required to do. HOWEVER! I do make an exception when it's John Lescroart. I love his Dismas Hardy series, while relatively a newcome to the series, I am hooked and look forward to reading earlier books.

This one had something, imo, going on in the wings. Was the author trying to tell us something about the series?

Well, I do know, whether this series or a standalone, I thoroughly enjoy John Lescroart's books!

Huge thanks to Atria Books and Net Galley for yet another approval to read a John Lescroart e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review. ( )
  debkrenzer | Feb 10, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,623,738 books! | Top bar: Always visible