Digital Fortress by Dan Brown

Digital Fortress (1998)

by Dan Brown

Recently added bycvobrien, rena75, K9VB, Joyce84, SilkePeeters, private library, Jason.Arends, LarkinHS, nathan1912

English (206)  Dutch (8)  French (4)  Spanish (4)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (230)
A mystery revolving around the giant server farm used for data decryption at the NSA. Will they crack the password in time? A bit bland.

Has the same story arc and ending as all other Brown's books, but does not feature Langdon. ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
The subject matter caught my attention, but this is clearly a very early work. The writing is sloppy... many technical errors and some very blatant misses... like having one of the main characters turn to use a urinal IN THE WOMAN'S RESTROOM!

If the writing and editing (was there any?) were tighter, this would be a very good story line about an unbreakable encryption algorithm that the NSA is trying to break into.

I enjoyed Dan Brown's later works, and this early one proves that writing is a skill that needs to be developed. ( )
  CYGeeker | Sep 6, 2018 |
What can I expect from Dan Brown than a page-turner masterpiece? I admit that I didn't like Origin all that much, but Digital Fortress rocked!

Right from the beginning, the suspense was thick. From David getting shipped all the way to Spain, to the Digital Fortress, the air was thick with suspense.

Though there was no Mr. Micky Mouse...Er, I mean Robert Langdon in this one, Susan Fletcher was a really awesome character too. But I liked David Becker the most. Because he was so out of his comfort zone and yet he managed to succeed at every point, up until escaping from his killer.

I read Digital Fortress in two sittings. The first time, I hadn't been all that interested. But then the second time I just couldn't let go, and I spent almost all day reading it, and finally finished it.

I loved trying to figure out who the culprit might be. Unlike murder mysteries, here, I had to wonder who would want Digital Fortress the most. And when I finally did realize who it was, I was shell-shocked.

Digital Fortress was adventurous, full of suspense and an exciting read! I'd definitely recommend you to read it! ( )
  Swibells | Jul 18, 2018 |
Good easy read about technology of the past. ( )
  rayub | Jun 10, 2018 |
Daft technology thriller (but quite fun) all about government surveillance. ( )
  cbinstead | May 2, 2018 |
A crescendo of murder, infernos, and explosions... Brown's skill... will rivet cyber-minded readers.
added by Shortride | editBooklist, Gilbert Taylor

Brown, DanAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Salminen, RaimoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for my parents ...
my mentors and heroes
Prologue: It is said that in death, all things become clear; Ensei Tankado now knew it was true.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes - wie bewaakt de bewakers ? uit de Satiren van Juvenalis

Kad se neuništivi stroj za dešifriranje u vlasništvu Nacionalne sigurnosne agencije susretne sa tajanstvenim kodom kojeg ne može razbiti, Agencija poziva u pomoć svoju glavnu kriptografkinju Susan Fletcher, nadarenu i prelijepu matematičarku. Ono što će ona otkriti, potrest će centre moći. NSA iznenada postaje žrtvom ucjene, ne oružane, već putem koda koji je toliko kompleksan da njegovo objavljivanje može onesposobiti čitavu obavještajnu službu SAD-a.

Uvučena u opasan vrtlog mračnih tajni i podlih laži, Susan Fletcher bori se za spas Agencije u koju vjeruje. Izdana od svih, polako shvaća kako se ne bori samo za svoju domovinu, već i za svoj vlastiti život, a na kraju i za život čovjeka kojeg voli.

------------------------------------

When the NSA's invincible code-breaking machineen encounters a mysterious code it cannot break, the agency calls its head cryptographer, Susan Fletcher, a brilliant and beautiful mathematician. What she uncovers sends shock waves through the corridors of power.

The NSA is being held hostage ... not by guns or bombs, but by a code so ingeniously complex that if released it would cripple U intelligence. Caught in an accelerating tempest of secrecy and lies. Susan Fletcher battles to save the agency she believes in. Betrayed on all sides, she finds herself fighting not only for her country but also for her life, and in the end, for the life of the man she loves.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312995423, Mass Market Paperback)

In most thrillers, "hardware" consists of big guns, airplanes, military vehicles, and weapons that make things explode. Dan Brown has written a thriller for those of us who like our hardware with disc drives and who rate our heroes by big brainpower rather than big firepower. It's an Internet user's spy novel where the good guys and bad guys struggle over secrets somewhat more intellectual than just where the secret formula is hidden--they have to gain understanding of what the secret formula actually is.

In this case, the secret formula is a new means of encryption, capable of changing the balance of international power. Part of the fun is that the book takes the reader along into an understanding of encryption technologies. You'll find yourself better understanding the political battles over such real-life technologies as the Clipper Chip and PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) software even though the book looks at the issues through the eyes of fiction.

Although there's enough globehopping in this book for James Bond, the real battleground is cyberspace, because that's where the "bomb" (or rather, the new encryption algorithm) will explode. Yes, there are a few flaws in the plot if you look too closely, but the cleverness and the sheer fun of it all more than make up for them. There are enough twists and turns to keep you guessing and a lot of high, gee-whiz-level information about encryption, code breaking, and the role they play in international politics. Set aside the whole afternoon and evening for it and have finger food on hand for supper--you may want to read this one straight through.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:37 -0400)

A computer wiz takes on the government in defense of the right to privacy. On hearing the National Security Agency has secretly installed a program that can read anyone's e-mail, Ensei Tankado comes up with a program to paralyze it. A conflict ensues and people die.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,737,472 books! | Top bar: Always visible