dismiss

Digital Fortress by Dan Brown

Digital Fortress (1998)

by Dan Brown

A computer whiz takes on the government in defense of the right to privacy. On hearing the National Security Agency has secretly installed a program that can read anyone's e-mail, Ensei Tankado comes up with a program to paralyze it and cripple the NSA.

English (212)  Dutch (8)  French (4)  Spanish (4)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (237)
Utter garbage. If it wasn’t because I listen to the “372 Pages We’ll Never Get Back” podcast I would have bailed on it ages ago. The writing was just horrendous. And the climax was a complete cop out. ( )
  Arkrayder | May 21, 2020 |
Let's get one thing clear, I don't care what other people say, I like Dan Brown's books. Yes you know what you are getting, they may be generic thrillers, but one thing you cannot deny is that they are page turners. Digital Fortress is no different, the story of a super coded piece of software that could bring down the American Intelligence Agencies. The excitement builds and builds until the conclusion. Not a spoiler to say things work out in the end with the lovely Susan Fletcher saving the day. Would recommend. ( )
1 vote mick745 | Apr 8, 2020 |
Toxic waste! Avoid if possible. Clunky plot and bad 'twists' ( )
  PDCRead | Apr 6, 2020 |
I've read some of Dan Brown's work and found that at least the research was interesting, but this one didn't even have that.
Other reviewers have pointed out the factual errors, so I won't go there. I will, however, say that this one was by far my least favorite because a) by now, his style has become rather predictable (begins with a death, big betrayal 3/4 of the way through, love interest is the tipping point for the decision to become involved, etc.) and b) it was just so cheesy and sexist. I mean, the fact that over and over and OVER he has to say that the protagonist is just SO strange because she is smart and pretty. It's just all over, "he looked at her legs and thought 'hard to believe they hold up a 170 IQ'" and "You're the only swimsuit model with a genius IQ" and every page or so he mentions the long willowy legs paired with the staggering intellect. The fact that the author finds it so incredible that someone can beautiful and smart was too much for me.
As for the other stuff, some of it was ok but the entire tone of the book was the once-handsome older gentleman trying to sound like a 40's suave man-about-town trying to impress his son's teenage friends by calling women "Toots".
It would have been funny if it was a parody, but sadly, no. ( )
  AngelaAlvarezVelez | Jan 26, 2020 |
READ IN DUTCH

I believe people say this is Dan Brown's weakest book? I beg to differ. I quite liked this one, or at least the subject it was about. And I think now with all the commotion on the NSA and Snowden, it's again a hot topic. How much privacy should we give up in order to achieve safety? What is this safety?

Perfectly in Dan Brown style, there is a lot of running, shooting, (almost) killing, etc. I never really like too much of those things in my books, because it tends to become predictable very fast. Still, I've eventually read the first five Dan Brown novels, because people kept asking me whether I had already read them. ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
A crescendo of murder, infernos, and explosions... Brown's skill... will rivet cyber-minded readers.
added by Shortride | editBooklist, Gilbert Taylor

Brown, DanAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ruitenberg, JosephineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salminen, RaimoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for my parents ...
my mentors and heroes
Prologue: It is said that in death, all things become clear; Ensei Tankado now knew it was true.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes - wie bewaakt de bewakers ? uit de Satiren van Juvenalis

Kad se neuništivi stroj za dešifriranje u vlasništvu Nacionalne sigurnosne agencije susretne sa tajanstvenim kodom kojeg ne može razbiti, Agencija poziva u pomoć svoju glavnu kriptografkinju Susan Fletcher, nadarenu i prelijepu matematičarku. Ono što će ona otkriti, potrest će centre moći. NSA iznenada postaje žrtvom ucjene, ne oružane, već putem koda koji je toliko kompleksan da njegovo objavljivanje može onesposobiti čitavu obavještajnu službu SAD-a.

Uvučena u opasan vrtlog mračnih tajni i podlih laži, Susan Fletcher bori se za spas Agencije u koju vjeruje. Izdana od svih, polako shvaća kako se ne bori samo za svoju domovinu, već i za svoj vlastiti život, a na kraju i za život čovjeka kojeg voli.

------------------------------------

When the NSA's invincible code-breaking machineen encounters a mysterious code it cannot break, the agency calls its head cryptographer, Susan Fletcher, a brilliant and beautiful mathematician. What she uncovers sends shock waves through the corridors of power.

The NSA is being held hostage ... not by guns or bombs, but by a code so ingeniously complex that if released it would cripple U intelligence. Caught in an accelerating tempest of secrecy and lies. Susan Fletcher battles to save the agency she believes in. Betrayed on all sides, she finds herself fighting not only for her country but also for her life, and in the end, for the life of the man she loves.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,518,243 books! | Top bar: Always visible