The Dirty Book Club by Lisi Harrison

The Dirty Book Club (edition 2018)

by Lisi Harrison (Author)

Member:yalanda
Title:The Dirty Book Club
Authors:Lisi Harrison (Author)
Info:Gallery Books (2018), Edition: Reprint, 336 pages
Tags:to-read

The Dirty Book Club by Lisi Harrison

Surprisingly uplifting and humorous, this book (albeit a bit over the top) was pretty darn adorable. The friendships, book selections, and setting were so much fun. MJ has been living a fast paced life of work, work, more work, with a tiny bit time set aside for her long distance boyfriend. When she is passed over for a promotion that she rightfully deserves MJ decides to pack some bags and stay the summer with her hunky boyfriend in California, lord knows she has enough vacation time piled up. While beach-side she becomes restless, unsure what to do with herself. She's never had this much free time in her life. She befriends her elderly neighbor but before she can get too chummy, her neighbor up and moves to Paris. So much for a friendship. Gloria does leave behind one thing though. An invitation to join a secret book club, one that reads only dirty books. MJ's curiosity gets the better of her and she decides to go to one one meeting. Little does she know that her summer is about to drastically change and she might meet the best friends of her life. Chick-lit at its finest. ( )
  ecataldi | Jan 21, 2019 |
The Dirty Book Club by Lisi Harrison is a great summer read. The book is centered around M.J who leaves her job after getting snubbed for a promotion to live with her boyfriend on the west coast. There she meets Gloria, her elderly neighbor, who gives her and invitation to a secret book club. The book is heartfelt and warm. The pacing was great and I was always interested in what was going on. This is a great beach read. ( )
  blaketoren | Sep 12, 2018 |
I got about a quarter of the way into the book and realized, I didn't care about any of the women. Couldn't relate to them and wasn't eager to learn the dark secrets of the original ladies. So gave it back to the library. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Jun 14, 2018 |
I'm only giving 3 stars right now bc I need to reread it. I absolutely loved this book. I am a little confused still on all the people that were involved hence why I want to reread it (so I bought it which I NEVER buy books)
This is a book that starts out with 4 friends. they go through life struggles together and have each other through thick or thin no matter what happens between their break ups and getting back together. they share all of their secrets (or they are suppose to hence the breakups of the club) and decide that when all their spouses die they will all meet back up in France! They then pick four other girls (ones a daughter, ones a neighbor etc) to continue on with their tradition of the book club.
I guess to sum it up....you need to have a group of girlfriends to get you through life. girls you can rely on when you aren't sure yourself. something I know I personally don't have and wish I did. ( )
  nibbles_243 | Mar 25, 2018 |
The Dirty Book Club by Lisi Harrison is a 2017 Gallery Books publication.

A lighthearted and often hilarious story about the special bonds of friendship!

Now, don’t let the title of this book fool you. This is not an erotic novel, at all. Instead, this is a book about relationships, focusing on the bond between women and true, enduring friendship.

The story begins in 1962 with the birth of ‘The Dirty Book Club’. A group of friends, all of whom have a different set of circumstances to cope with, form a secret book club, replete with certain rituals, and meet by the schedule of the full moon, to discuss the latest ‘erotic’ novel.

Fast forward to present day New York, where MJ is about to see her career dreams come true after a devastating loss that has left her bereft and riddled with guilt. But, at the last minute, her boss pulls the rug out from under her by assigning her a co- editor. This is not the way things were supposed to go. In a fit of temper, MJ quits her job, and accepts her boyfriend’s invitation to come live with him in California.

But, MJ soon finds herself bored and having an all -out pity party for herself. However, she does form an acquaintance with her boyfriend’s neighbor, Gloria. But, when Gloria suddenly departs for Paris, she leaves a note behind inviting MJ to join a secret and exclusive book club - one that only reads erotic novels. Unable to resist, MJ accepts the invitation and meets the three other carefully selected members of the club.

This eclectic group of women, as with Gloria and her lifelong friends, are all going through various trials in life. They reluctantly bond with each other and soon discover the real secrets behind ‘The Dirty Book Club’.

To be completely honest, this book does not have a great deal of depth, neither in plot or characterization, but in this instance, it’s not a big deal. Why? Well, sometimes I just want to read a story that has a minimal amount of angst, that can touch lightly upon a few darker topics without becoming heavy or depressing. Sometimes I need a break from romance or thrillers and just want to lose myself in a quirky ‘feel good’ story that makes me laugh out loud and lifts my spirits.

I also found the ‘erotic reading list’ very interesting, and occasionally nostalgic. Boy, have times changed since Gloria and the gang read Erica Jong’s ‘Fear of Flying’. Even if you snub erotica, you will find this list of reading material intriguing.

I did wish a few things had come together differently, but, overall, this book was just plain fun, thoroughly enjoyable, and serves as a reminder of how friendships can enhance our lives.

* I received a copy of this book as a member of Simon & Schuster's XOXO Afer Dark street team. ( )
  gpangel | Dec 6, 2017 |

Publisher Annotation: From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Clique series comes a novel about the importance of friendship, and, of course, the pleasure of a dirty book. 320pp., 100K

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,322,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible