The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook by…

The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook (2001)

by Joshua Piven, David Borgenicht

2,612253,474 (3.33)None

English (24)  German (1)  All languages (25)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
"The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook" is a grab bag of useful, humorous, and interesting information about a variety of potentially disastrous situations you might find yourself in. Covering everything from quicksand to plane crashes, rampaging bulls to tsunamis, there is a wealth of survival information packed into this book.

I don't normally comment on the physical book itself, but it this case it bears mention. The hardback is nicely constructed, compact in size (about 5.5" x 7.25"), and feels like it would go naturally in a bugout bag or hiking pack.

That having been said, the book wouldn't be particularly useful in the moment of disaster; by the time you were able to get to the book and look up the right chapter it may be too late. This information is best if studied ahead of time.

"The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook" would make a great gift for the adventurer in your life.

NB: I received a free copy of this book from LibraryThing's Early Reviewer program. ( )
  sullijo | Jun 16, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ever want to know how to escape from quicksand, survive nuclear fallout, or tell if a clown is murderous? This book is for you. Funny and informative.
  Micah | Jun 11, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is the latest edition of a little book on how to survive both fairly common (car accidents, getting lost, dropping your cell phone in the toilet) and extremely uncommon (grid collapse, pirate attacks, murderous clowns) situations. There are genuinely useful suggestions (how to treat frostbite), as well as tongue in cheek prescriptions (how to escape from an out of control Smart Home). All in all, I found it to be mildly entertaining. ( )
  Rosalind | Jun 5, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a handy little guide to get you out of a bunch of life’s difficult situations like, dealing with a snake bite, surviving a plane crash, and even how to tell if someone is lying to you. There are plenty of other serious scenarios that are covered, so there’s something for everybody.
This is pretty light reading that is informative and sometimes a little humorous.
I’m sure that there’s an audience for this kind of book -preppers maybe-, but this reader found most of the descriptions of the ways to deal with these situations pretty standard and repetitive. ( )
  coachtim30 | Jun 1, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I read this book or one like it back in the early 2000s and thought it was a fine casual conversation kind of book--something you'd say "did you know" about or, "guess what this book says about...." I remembered it as being mildly interesting, but not something I particularly wanted to own myself. I think I gave a copy of one to one of my brothers as a gift.

Now, though... I wouldn't buy this book. It's not that it's bad, but--it feels somewhat dated. I've been struggling with trying to figure out what's bothering me so much about it. I think part of my problem is that it's mixing serious, terrible things with silly things in a way that seems disrespectful to people who've suffered and died. (There has been so much on the news about school shootings, that putting surviving a gunman in the same book as spotting a murderous clown seems wrong.) And the other part of my problem is that I'm feeling like part of an ignored demographic. It's great to give advice on how to help deliver a baby in the back of a car, but it's more than a little problematic to include that advice without including any on how to, I don't know, give birth alone with no assistance at all. Ignoring female-oriented worst-case scenarios is not the same as being gender-neutral.

I would be really curious to know why they decided to come out with this edition now, and with so little updating. Is it just that it's 20 years later and they were hoping for another hurrah? ( )
  adairklm | May 28, 2019 |

Joshua Pivenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Borgenicht, Davidmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Warning: When a life is imperiled or a dire situation is at hand, safe alternatives may not exist.
Check out www.worstcasescenarios.com for additional survival tips, updates, and more. Because you just never know...

Experts provide step-by-step instructions for escaping from, avoiding, or surviving a wide range of dire situations.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Joshua Piven's book The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,746,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible