The Man with Two Left Feet by P. G.…
Member:ashishg
Title:The Man with Two Left Feet
Authors:P. G. Wodehouse
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Paperback, 156 pages
Collections:Owned digitally
Rating:***
Tags:short-story, fiction, theater, humour

The Man with Two Left Feet and Other Stories by P. G. Wodehouse (1917)

English (15)  Dutch (1)  All languages (16)
Although this is very early Wodehouse, I enjoyed this varied selection of short stories, including one which -I later learned - was the first time he wrote about Bertie Wooster and his manservant Jeeves.

I'm pretty sure I've read some of these stories before, but that didn't matter at all. I particularly enjoyed a two-part tale narrated by a dog where the humour relies on the dog's trust in human nature, and some rather clever writing that lets the reader understand what's really going on. There are also more standard stories of relationships marred by misunderstandings, of mishaps and mistakes that, while naturally seeming a little old fashioned, are still relevant to the modern mind.

The title story - about a man who is unable to dance - is the last one in the book, and one which, like several, was rather predictable; not that this matters with Wodehouse humour, as the gently ironic style and upper-class language are what make the stories so enjoyable. While his brilliant use of language hasn't quite come to the fore in this selection, there were some passages that made me smile; for instance, in describing an area populated with artistes of all kind, from the perspective of a policemen, he writes:

'They assault and batter nothing but pianos, they steal nothing but ideas, they murder nobody except Chopin and Beethoven.'

Definitely recommended for any Wodehouse fans who enjoy short stories, but not ideal as an introduction to the great man. Free in ebook form from Project Gutenberg. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
This collection of stories is the first time Bertie Wooster and his butler, Jeeves, appear. In that story, Bertie’s Aunt Agatha sends him to New York to stop his cousin, Gussie, from marrying a chorus girl. He fails, of course, and decides to stay in America until his aunt has had time to forget she’s mad at him. Most of the other stories also take place in New York City and feature other characters.

I don’t think the stories in this collection are as good as Wodehouse’s later Jeeves and Wooster books. They’re not bad, but they are pretty predictable. Overall, it was a nice, short, light read that didn’t require a whole lot of effort. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
Loved ðis. Some funny, underſtated ſtories; ſome pugnant ones to ðe point of elicitiŋ a feƿ, tender tears. ( )
  leandrod | Feb 10, 2015 |
A lovely assortment of stories -- clever, funny and very sweet without being maudlin. I never read Wodehouse before and I was simply blown away by these stories. They were so refreshing. I particularly loved "The Mixer" written from a dog's point of view and "The Romance of an Ugly Policeman," but there wasn't a single one of them that I didn't thoroughly enjoy. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 22, 2014 |
Thirteen short stories by Wodehouse. Only one is a Jeeves and Wooster tale, and Jeeves hardly appears. Our two favorites were "The Mixer" parts one and two, told from the perspective of a dog. ( )
  Pferdina | Sep 14, 2014 |
There's a divinity that shapes our ends.

13 Tales included in The Man with Two left Feet including:
1. Bill the Bloodhound
2. Extricating Young Gussie (Jeeves and Wooster First  Story)
3. Wilton's Holiday
10. Black for Luck
11. The Romance of an Ugly Policeman
12. A Sea of Troubles
13. The Man with Two Left Feet

Footnote regarding the story 'Extricating Young Gussie' - Information found in the book 'The World of Jeeves' introduction. Wodehouse states " I find it curious, now that I have written so much about him, to recall how softly and undramatically Jeeves first entered my little world. Characteristically, he did not thrust himself forward. On that occasion, he spoke just two lines. The first was: "Mrs. Gregson to see you sir." The second: "Very good, sir, which suit will you wear?" That was in a story in a volume entitled 'The Man with Two Left Feet' It was only some time later, when I was going into the strange affair which is related under the title of "The Artistic Career of Corky." , (Leave It to Jeeves" (revised for Carry On, Jeeves as "The Artistic Career of Corky ) that the man's qualities dawned upon me. I still blush to think of the off-hand way I treated him at our first encounter."

"The Man With Two Left Feet, and Other Stories" is a collection of short stories by P. G. Wodehouse, first published in the United Kingdom in 1917 by Methuen & Co., London. Many of the stories had previously appeared in the Strand in the UK and the Saturday Evening Post in the U.S.

Most of the stories concern relationships, sports and household pets. None feature any of Wodehouse's regular characters. "Extricating Young Gussie" marks the first appearance of some of Wodehouse's most well-known and beloved characters, Jeeves and his master Bertie Wooster (although here Bertie's surname appears to be Mannering-Phipps, and Jeeves' role is very small), along with Bertie's fearsome Aunt Agatha.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:12 -0400)

These early stories, first published together in 1917, show Wodehouse perfecting his craft. Characters include a talking dog, a private eye who wants to be an actor, a bank clerk who cannot dance, an ugly policeman, a baseball-mad businessman, and a black cat. The star attraction of the volume for most readers will probably be "Extricating young Gussie," the first story to feature Jeeves, though in a minor role.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,892,408 books! | Top bar: Always visible