Secondborn by Amy A. Bartol

Secondborn

by Amy A. Bartol

Completed 08/05/18 ( )
  ERose207 | Aug 5, 2018 |
4.25 (Reread on 12/21/17 - I still love this!)

Let me start by saying that Amy is the author of one of my favorite series (the Kricket Series) and I find that I really enjoy her writing and storytelling. Naturally, I was really looking forward to picking this book up when it was released.

Needless to say, it did not disappoint. The story is fast-paced and had several crucial plot twists that I did not see coming but really enjoyed. The characters are relatable, realistic, lovable and even a little "hate-able".

The technology, "class" system and world introduced in this first installment is not wholly original but intriguing nonetheless with its own uniqueness. Its easy to see why some individuals in this world may choose the paths they do and why some may choose to jump at any opportunity to raise their standings in society.

Overall, this is one of my favorite new releases of 2017 to have read. I have a few theories on where this story is going and will absolutely be continuing this series when the next one is released. ( )
  libraryinthecountry | May 6, 2018 |
I'm not a big fan of YA dystopian novels or stories, so maybe I'm not the best person to be reviewing this. But I did pick this up as my Kindle First novel for July, and it sounded interesting, so I wanted to give it a chance, because it is such a popular genre. Unfortunately, I ended up DNF'ing it at 20%.

I don't like giving bad reviews, as I know how tough it is to write a book and get it out there, but try as I may, I couldn't get into the story, or the characters. I also got confused at about 15%, with all the new characters coming and going and kept having to flip back a few pages to figure out who was who. I was afraid that it would be cliché and just another ripoff of the Hunger Games / Divergent (similar plot, settings, character stereotypes) series, and as I read some of these other reviews, it seems that's the case.

An extra star because the writing is well-done and the beginning was very, very interesting. The worldbuilding was also done well, at least as far as I got. I really wanted to like this one, and I'm afraid I won't be reading the rest of the books in this trilogy. ( )
  galian84 | Sep 16, 2017 |
This is a story about secondborn children serving the firstborn and surviving in a world where the rank of your birth could be a death sentence. When I first started I was confused by the world building and trying to figure out who was who ( fates, virtues, swords, etc). But once I figured it out I was completely drawn in and I flew through it. I can't wait for the next book to find out what happens! ( )
  Tabatha014 | Aug 29, 2017 |
I am impatiently waiting for book 2. I love this story. It has a lot of similarities to other novels I've read - dystopian society, fights to the death, badass female main character - but it's different enough to shine. ( )
  mtlkch | Jul 16, 2017 |

Amy A. Bartol is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,111,237 books! | Top bar: Always visible