The Middle Age of Mrs Eliot by Angus Wilson

The Middle Age of Mrs Eliot (1958)

by Angus Wilson

Travels of Maudie Tipstaff by Margaret Forster (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both books depict a series of disastrous visits made by a woman left alone.
    In the Springtime of the Year by Susan Hill (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both books examine the effects of sudden widowhood
    Forgetting's no excuse by Mary Stott (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both books examine the effects of sudden widowhood.

A lot of modern readers will not like this book because it's written in a very old fashioned, almost 19th Century way . The book has no chapters, but instead is broken into three "books" denoting the main character's progression. The writing has lengthy descriptions as well as meditations from the characters. None of this is very appealing to the modern reader and that is unfortunate because this is an absolutely brilliant book about a woman's journey from cossetted wife to a fully realized independent woman.

When we firs meet Meg Eliot she is a rather officious committee woman who is married to a successful barrister and about to embark on a 'round the world journey. We see her presiding over the"Aid to the Elderly" committee and later playing the perfect hostess at a farewell party she throws for herself. But on the journey everything goes terribly wrong in Indonesia when her husband is killed taking a bullet meant for the local Minister of Education. Upon returning home, she finds that her lovely life was actually a sham; her husband was mired in gambling debts and she will be forced to sell her house in fashionable Westminster as well as her prized collection of decorative porcelain in order to have money with which to live.

Slowly learning to draw on her own strengths and talents, Meg Elliot begins to remake herself into a modern woman. Her journey is not without its mistakes and sorrows, but in the end she emerges triumphant., happily living her own life in her own way. This book is definitely worth the effort. ( )
  etxgardener | May 14, 2014 |
Meg Eliot is married to a successful barrister whose job is about to take them to Singapore, which they are planning as an opportunity to see the world as well, but then everything changes for her. Elsewhere, her brother David is dealing with his partner's incurable illness and what that means for him and their business. I really enjoyed this book, and got entirely engrossed in the characters' lives. ( )
  mari_reads | Sep 6, 2012 |
This book comes from the middle of Angus Wilson's career, when he was relatively prolific and - as Mrs Eliot - verging on middle age. As befits a titular character, Meg Eliot is at the centre of the book which takes a triptych form - the mise en scene, when she is queen bee of her circle; the crisis, when, bereaved, she alienates herself to the point of breakdown and the resolution, when she finds a different place for herself in the world. As the book moves to a conclusion her (also bereaved) brother becomes the heart of the novel, as she finally decides to step out of the picture into silence. She is a curiously elusive character for someone so relentlessly introspective, as indeed is her brother. They both seem fey, unfixed, curiously judgmental, trapped in a sort of limbo - and somehow aware that they are trapped. I found this a very difficult book to like. The characters are resolutely unsympathetic and difficult to believe (though we are aware that we are watching from Meg's very skewed perspective, which may not be skewed in the way she thinks it is) and the book is very long and descriptive, endlessly analysing with very little action. It seems so embedded in the social mores and nuances of its day that it feels dry and desiccated; terrible things happen, emotions are stretched to their limits, but the only point where I felt moved was when Meg broke down completely. Wilson somehow manages to deaden the novel - at least partly to mirror the near death and rebirth of his heroine - but from fifty years away his dead hand, weighed down further by the manners, mores and material possessions of the 1950s feels a heavy burden for the reader to bear.
  otterley | May 13, 2010 |
I wish I knew why I choose the books to read that I do. It strikes me as bewilderingly odd that I would pick this book up at the same time that I picked up The Group. The copyright is 1958, near that of The Group, and the book’s themes fit in nicely with those of The Group. Mrs. Eliot is happily entering into middle age, when her husband, her support, is killed and she is forced to redefine her life. An early book that I would classify as women’s fiction, like The Group, but, also like The Group, it is more that that. It’s thoughtful and clever, beautifully written, with characters that surprise you. Like The Group, I’d almost classify it as a Must-Read. ( )
  debnance | Jan 29, 2010 |
TO
JOHN WITH GRATITUDE
AND TO
HELEN'S LOVED
MEMORY
Meg Eliot was well aware that in taking her place as Chairman of the Committee for the third time in succession she was acting in an unconstitutional way.
There was kindness and sympathy behind it all, but there was also embarrassment and a kind of setting her apart.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140015027, Paperback)

Angus Wilson achieved literary notoriety with the publication of his 1953 novel Hemlock and After. It was five years later, however, with the release of his masterpiece The Middle Age of Mrs. Eliot that he secured a lasting place in British letters. This work, a compassionate portrait of a newly widowed women in her mid-40s who wants to do good in a world that does not need her, remains as vibrant and moving as it did 40 years ago. Wilson's prose is smart and his portrayal of self-deception bred of loneliness is deeply disturbing. Yet, in spite of this, Wilson's beautiful use of language wedded to his psychological insights, make The Middle Age of Mrs. Eliot a pleasure to read.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:14 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,980,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible