The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham

The Midwich Cuckoos (original 1957; edition 1999)

by John Wyndham

1,778493,948 (3.82)1 / 182
Member:Chileno
Title:The Midwich Cuckoos
Authors:John Wyndham
Info:Buccaneer Books (1999), Hardcover, 247 pages
Rating:***
Tags:science fiction, horror, england

The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham (1957)

Recently added byLegoDruid, GregPGill, PaulAdkin, mpontiff, kalibrary, private library, Colonino, dwightfrye, Pigletto
Legacy LibrariesNewton 'Bud' Flounders
    The Chrysalids by John Wyndham (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Each book compliments the other, describing the same fundamental theme from two points of view. I enjoyed the Midwich Cuckoos more.
    More than human by Theodore Sturgeon (Michael.Rimmer)
    The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (timspalding)

English (46)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (47)
The Basics

One day, everyone in Midwich just falls asleep. Then they all just wake up. It turns out that during this time, every woman in the village was impregnated. And as strange as that sounds, it’s only the beginning.

My Thoughts

So consider the look on my face when I found out that Village of the Damned was originally a book and that it was written by John Wyndham. It was a whole lotta happy. I’ve been meaning to get to this one for a couple of years now, and ultimately I thought it was good. It was suspenseful, it was eerie, and the concept alone is pure gold.

Then again, for whatever reason, Wyndham created as our hero here the most blow-hard of all blow-hards. The sort of guy in the science fiction flick who strokes his beard and chews his glasses while he considers every avenue, every possible fluctuation and permutation. And there were moments, folks, where that was just ridiculous to push through.

So why did I end up really enjoying it despite that? Because he also peppers the story with characters who happen to think Zellaby (the blow-hard in question) might just be full of it. Also, I can’t deny that Zellaby hits on some good points, which makes him more of a mixed bag. The guy that can annoy you in one breath and intrigue you in another, which made him seem very real, not just the scholar who’s always right. It made it so I could take in everything he said with varying degrees of skepticism and acceptance, just like the characters around him. Except for that “oh women are a mystery wrapped in an enigma” shit. He can keep that to himself.

Despite a character that verges on annoying, the story itself is well-thought-out and planned. It paces nicely. The fact that the solution to this problem is not a simple one is welcome, because it aids the conflict. The level of control the Children exert, particularly early on, is very scary. And that ending. The ending is absolutely worth the whole ride.

Final Rating

4/5 ( )
  Nickidemus | Sep 18, 2014 |
I'm only halfway through the book so far but I felt the need to make notes on why I am so impressed so far. It's the book "The Village of The Damned" was based on. I haven't seen the movie in years but I remember it being a creepy horror movie that wasn't anything too special. The book however is far more than that. The author uses this idea for the book as a way to delve into the human psych. Questioning nature versus nurture and many other philosophical ideas that could be attached to this storyline. This is no quick read horror/sci-fi book even though it's only a few hundred pages. I find myself having to go back and read certain parts again to fully understand what the author is trying to get at. However, some could read this book without a pause and find it entertaining enough without digesting the underlying questions but then it would be just another King or Koonz book. People looking for a book with some depth and a creepy plot line will really like this book. If I have anything to add after finishing the book... I'll come back to add more. Ok, finished and my review still stands. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
It's easy to forget how good this novel is, but a quick re-read makes clear the amount of terror at the idea of this sort of slow "invasion" that was present in the Cold War West. There are some instances of sexism that are glaringly obvious to a contemporary reader, but Wyndham's use of language and slow-building terror make this a still-compelling example of the genre. ( )
  KelMunger | May 28, 2014 |
Spends too long getting there, but then finally there's Wyndham's political and sociological allegory, the real meat of this. He gets more nuanced and interesting in Day of the Triffids; this one has the harsher edge of sheer Cold War paranoia. ( )
  CSRodgers | May 5, 2014 |
John Wyndham's second most famous story is perhaps the eeriest. A small village in England unexplainably fall unconscious for a whole day and when they wake up all the women are pregnant. The children when born all look the same and start to exhibit dangerous and strange behaviour.
Possibly one of the scariest alien invasion stories ever written the Midwich Cuckoos creeps up on us as we like the inhabitants of Midwich don't take the threat seriously until it is too late. Here is a story in which humanity is all but powerless in the face of an unknown threat. All you can do is hope it all ends well. ( )
  ecumenicalcouncil | Jan 5, 2014 |

van den Haak-Janzen, J.R.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Veillon, AdrienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Willock, HarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zhouf, MartinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
One of the luckiest accidents in my wife's life is that she happened to marry a man who was born on the 26th of September.

Cuckoos lay eggs in other birds' nests. The clutch that was fathered on the quiet little village of Midwich, one night in September, proved to possess a monstrous will of its own. It promised to make the human race look as dated as the dinosaur

Cuckoos lay eggs in other birds' nests. The clutch that was fathered on the quiet little village of Midwich, one night in September, proved to possess a monstrous will of its own. Imt promised to make the human race look as dated as the dinosaur.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:04 -0400)

In the village of Midwich all the women of child-bearing age become pregnant overnight. When a violent incident occurs, the moral fabric of the village disintegrates and a battle for survival begins.

76 wanted1 free

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,320,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible