The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham

The Midwich Cuckoos (original 1957; edition 1999)

by John Wyndham

1,855543,726 (3.81)1 / 219
Member:Chileno
Title:The Midwich Cuckoos
Authors:John Wyndham
Info:Buccaneer Books (1999), Hardcover, 247 pages
Rating:***
Tags:science fiction, horror, england

The Midwich cuckoos by John Wyndham (1957)

The Chrysalids by John Wyndham (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Each book compliments the other, describing the same fundamental theme from two points of view. I enjoyed the Midwich Cuckoos more.
    More than human by Theodore Sturgeon (Michael.Rimmer)
    Revolt of the Triffids by John Wyndham (timspalding)

English (51)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (52)
Cuckoos in the nest. In the nest of humanity.
Cuckoos that are intelligent but without empathy, upsetting all human Mid-wichian ways. What to do? What to do with the cold dangerous opportunism, when you see yourself as emphatic, as bound by laws religious and non-religious to show compassion?

Most of the book is spent on showing us that we do not recognize the cuckoos in the humanitarian nest: We cannot believe they are all that bad: "I know when I was a child there were injustices which positively made me burn inside. If i had had the strength to do what I wanted to do it would have been dreadful, really dreadful, I assure you", says one of the village sweet old ladies when the cuckoo killed the first time, not grasping anything but the child-like innocent superficial look of the cuckoo. Or we see, but cannot do anything with what we see because: "Your more liberal, responsibly minded and religious people will be greatly troubled over the ethical position. Opposed to any form of drastic action at all, you will have your true idealist - and also your sham idealist: the quite large number of people who profess ideals as a premium for other-life-insurance, and are content to lay up slavery and destitution for their descendants so long as they are enabled to produce personal copybooks of elevated views at the gate of heaven", as put by the book´s invading Cuckoos themselves.

The book raises a difficult question: How do we defend humanity against opportunism? What to do with non-compassionate when humanity as a system is built on empathy?

Do we need to answer the question? Are there any life-threatening anti-humanitarian opportunism unfolding itself amongst us half-blind believing-ourselves-to-be-quite-emphatic mid-everything-beings? Who gains from the production of weapons? The inequality of the distribution of wealth? CO2 quotas? The ice melting? Will it enslave our children and children´s children to turn a blind eye towards it? Where does the opportunists´ opportunity come from? Has the mid-majority´s blindness, idealism - and sham idealism (which of course is opportunism in itself) anything to do with it? Lack of courage? Laziness? Selfishness?

By choosing aliens as cuckoos the questions asked is not bound in time or space, but more important, having aliens as cuckoos underline Wyndham´s point: few of us recognize the opportunism in ourselves, it is quite alien. The one that in fact acts in the end, is a philosopher; We cannot do anything with our anti-humanitarian ways until we know ourselves. ( )
  Mikalina | Aug 21, 2015 |
Great premise. Lackluster storytelling.

In John Wyndham’s The Midwich Cuckoos, the residents of an English village experience an unusual alien invasion. One day all the people fall unconscious, and the next day they awaken, without any awareness of the event. The military intervenes but won’t say why. A few weeks later, the women of the village discover they are inexplicably pregnant. To ward off panic, the village bonds together to keep the pregnancies a secret and to communally raise the children the best they can. The only problem is that the children are otherworldly: golden-eyed and identical, they have the ability to control other people’s minds. Soon, the villagers are the captives of these children, whose purpose is the eventual conquering of the human race.

Wyndham sets up the story nicely with the discovery of the Day-out, the period in which the villagers fall unconscious. And he builds the suspense when the women discover they are pregnant. But after that, the story goes off the rails, primarily because of his method of storytelling.

The narrator is Richard Gayford, a relatively new resident of Midwich. Early in the book, he switches from telling his view of events to a more omniscient perspective, based on what he learns from other people. Overall, it doesn’t work because so much of the story is told off-screen, as it were. Everything is told after the fact, so you don’t get a sense of the immediacy of events. For all the talk about the capital-C Children, they don’t show up much.

The predominant character in the book is Gordon Zellaby, an historian who loves to pontificate about the significance of the Children. Wyndham spends too much time on Zellaby’s discourse so that the book becomes an academic analysis of the Children. It’s such a detached perspective that the reader never really can empathize with the experience of the villagers.

Last year, I read Wyndham’s The Day of the Triffids, which I definitely enjoyed. It had that sense of emotional connection that Midwich lacks.

louis.arata | Jul 31, 2015 |
Genre: Science Fiction
Rating: Very Good
Made into the movie Village of the Damned.

A small town of no known importance is suddenly blocked off from the rest of the world, and all its inhabitants are cut down. At first the authorities assume they are all dead. Instead they discover the people and animals and every living thing in Midwich is asleep. After 24 hours, everyone awakes and all appear to be fine.

But then it is discovered that every woman of child bearing age who has been hit by the DayOut is with child.

Very intriguing take on alien invasions. Quite different from the movie, of course. ( )
  majkia | Feb 26, 2015 |
“ The important thing about the cuckoo is not how the egg
got into the nest, nor why that nest was chosen; the real
matter for concern comes after it has been hatched- what,
in fact, it will attempt to do next.”

I find myself rather conflicted by The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham. The basic story was well thought out, very disconcerting and really spoke to the cold war fears that were prevalent at the time of his writing it, but unfortunately, the story is very dated and it was hard to accept the premise when one is constantly rolling ones eyes. Published in 1957, the story unfolds in the small town of Midwich where a weird phenomena happens whereby the entire village falls asleep for 24 house, and when they wake, every woman in the town who is of child-bearing years is pregnant.

For a story where so much of the drama involves women, the viewpoint is very male. Men try to figure out what happened. Men decide how this is going to be handled. Men make the birth arrangements and decide how these strange children are to be reared. The nominal leader of the women actually is told by her husband and the town doctor what to say and when to say it.

If there is any value in The Midwich Cuckoos today it is the fact that it is like a small time capsule giving us insight into people’ mindset in 1957, the dominant role played by men, the important placed on survival of the species and their lack of scientific knowledge. My biggest negative was the endless blatherings on mankind’s place in the universe, general philosophy and ethics. If there had been a little more action and a little less talk, this book may well have stood the test of time in a much better manner. ( )
1 vote DeltaQueen50 | Feb 15, 2015 |
Midwich is an ordinary little English village until the strangest thing happens. Late one evening everyone simply falls unconscious. They stay that way for 24 hours, and anyone who steps within a certain radius of the village collapses as well. An aerial photograph shows a strange, ovoid object near the center of town. But the next day, when everyone wakes up, the object is gone. Things seem to be perfectly normal in Midwich until several weeks later when the inhabitants come to the shocking realization: every woman and girl of childbearing age in Midwich is pregnant.

John Wyndham's novels have been described as "cosy apocalypses," and that is certainly the case with The Midwich Cuckoos. Everything is told from the perspective of the village's inhabitants as they decide to keep the existence of a strange brood of children to themselves. The government is not unaware of the happenings in Midwich, but it has reasons of its own for keeping things low key and under wraps. What we have is a story of ordinary people trying to fit extraordinary circumstances into their comfort zones, and largely succeeding for a number of years.

There are manifestations of the Cold War mindset in the novel, but what is particularly interesting is how it speaks almost directly to the problem Europe is currently confronting with a growing Muslim minority that refuses to assimilate and which many see as a threat to the Western way of life. "Can any State, however tolerant, afford to harbour an increasingly powerful minority which it has no power to control?," asks a character at one point. In answer to his own question, he cites the problem of "...your sham idealists: the quite large number of people who profess ideals as a form of premium for other-life insurance, and are content to lay up slavery and destitution for their descendants so long as they are enabled to produce personal copybooks of elevated views at the gate of heaven." A very timely question: Do our principles of personal liberty compel us to tolerate, even empower, those who are expressly intent on destroying us?

The Midwich Cuckoos is occasionally thoughtful, sometimes frightening, and always entertaining--highly recommended.

The novel has been filmed several times, but under the titles "Village of the Damned" and "Children of the Damned," so you may find the plot familiar even if you don't recognize the title.

The copy I read was the inexpensive e-book issued by Rosetta Books. It is full of typos and spacing errors. If you can find a used print copy, I would recommend that instead. ( )
4 vote StevenTX | Jan 23, 2015 |

van den Haak-Janzen, J.R.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Veillon, AdrienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Willock, HarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zhouf, MartinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
One of the luckiest accidents in my wife's life is that she happened to marry a man who was born on the 26th of September.

Cuckoos lay eggs in other birds' nests. The clutch that was fathered on the quiet little village of Midwich, one night in September, proved to possess a monstrous will of its own. It promised to make the human race look as dated as the dinosaur

Cuckoos lay eggs in other birds' nests. The clutch that was fathered on the quiet little village of Midwich, one night in September, proved to possess a monstrous will of its own. Imt promised to make the human race look as dated as the dinosaur.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

In the village of Midwich all the women of child-bearing age become pregnant overnight. When a violent incident occurs, the moral fabric of the village disintegrates and a battle for survival begins.

96 wanted1 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,031,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible