The Broken Girls by Simone St. James

The Broken Girls

by Simone St. James

The Broken Girls by Simone St. James is a good mystery read with two stories going on at once. One story is of the past, and one the present. There is a small bit of paranormal activity in it, just a hi t to make it creepy at times. There is a rape scene that made me want to quit reading...don't like books with that in there especially when it is young kids. I knocked off a star rating for that, it could have just implied...It did have good twists and turns but I was expecting more of a haunting and ghost tale then it was. A good read. ( )
  MontzaleeW | Jun 10, 2018 |
An enjoyable combination mystery/ghost story that focuses on an abandoned boarding school for girls in Vermont. The story bounces between a journalist's obsessive drive to find out the truth about her sister's murder two decades earlier and a group of the boarding school's student roommates in the 1950s. ( )
  Unkletom | Jun 10, 2018 |
The Broken Girls by Simone St. James is a well-written, fast-paced, thrill-soaked ride told in (at least) two timelines.

The book opens with a young girl being followed by someone or something in the very dark on a deserted road. Who is she? Where is she? When is she?

In 1950, four troubled girls (Katie, CeCe, Roberta and Sonia) are staying at Idlewild Hall, a home for the worst troublemakers. Each has a secret that slowly unfolds as the pages are turned. Each secret is worse than the last.

In 2014, local journalist Fiona cannot let her sister’s murder go. She can’t sleep and she can’t leave the small town where the unthinkable happened. Her sister’s murder has stopped time for both herself and her father until Fiona hears rumors that Idlewild Hall, the site of the murder, is being renovated.

Woven into all of this (as though it was not enough!) is the threat of a visit in both timelines by Mary Hand, the resident woman in black and the ghostly creature who supposedly haunts the hallways, classrooms and grounds of Idlewild.

Between the two timelines, murders, disappearances and strange happenings abound. What a fun and utterly readable book! ( )
  ouroborosangel | May 22, 2018 |
I could not stop listening to this book. I was completely hooked on the girls of Idlewild and Fiona! I am not always a fan stories with a ghost, but this one worked so well for me. I am so glad I read so many positive reviews from my Goodreads friends and decided to give this book a try! ( )
  clp412 | May 18, 2018 |
I love a good ghost story!

1950: at Idlewild Hall, a boarding school for delinquent girls, 4 roommates develop a bond over their shared circumstances. Lurking in the background is the simmering fear of Mary Hand, the ghost that roams the grounds. Mary Hand summons your deepest fears and calls to you to let her in from the cold. If you don’t resist her, you die.

2014: Journalist Fiona Sheridan is investigating the refurbishment of Idlewild Hall. Why would an eccentric wealthy stranger want to restore this dilapidated building to its former glory? Buried secrets come to light during the renovations that reveal the mysteries of what happened to those four friends back in 1950, and also the real story of what happened to Fiona’s sister, Deb, who was murdered twenty years ago and left on the grounds at Idlewild.

The story moves back and forth in time from 1950 to 2014, the constant presence of the ghost Mary Hand tormenting those who visit Idlewild. The supernatural elements of this story were spooky enough to keep me turning the pages, and the earthly, present-day evils only enhanced the tension. The denouement was a bit far-fetched, but I still enjoyed way everything came together.

There is a lot going on in this book. There is the simmering suspense of Mary Hand, and the author weaves in other plot elements of unsolved murders and disappearances to create a complicated story. I was enthralled from start to finish, and relished the creepy atmosphere of Idlewild Hall.

Many thanks to Netgalley and Berkley Publishing Group for the advance copy. ( )
  ErickaS | May 2, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,308,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible