Divine Invasions: A Life of Philip K. Dick…

Divine Invasions: A Life of Philip K. Dick

by Lawrence Sutin

English (3)  German (1)  All languages (4)
A mildly informative biography on PKD that focuses a bit too much on his marriages and a bit too little on his fiction and a literary analysis thereof. ( )
1 vote HadriantheBlind | Mar 30, 2013 |
I have mixed feelings about this book, but overall I don't think it lives up to my expectations. I enjoyed the background material on the various books that PKD wrote. There are extensive quotes from "Exegesis", which I think is fantastic. Certainly prefrerable to wading through thousands of pages of material to get the highlights. He goes into great detail on the Valis phase of PKD's life, which is fine. Hardly any mention of Electric Sheep though.

My biggest problem is that the rest of the book reads like an oral history of the subjects life. It takes on a soap opera flavor at times, which arguably is unavoidable with this man's life.
Editing was poor, and I think it was hastily thrown together. I also note Tessa Dick's review on Amazon, which was insightful for me.

The summary of all of PKD works at the end was a great addition. It is impossible to separate the man from his books. ( )
1 vote delta351 | Nov 3, 2012 |
Somehow reading this biography of PKD opens up his fictional world of paranoia, hypochondria, anxiety and phobia. He was not a happy man, but he stood firm in the face of life and reality and asked why. ( )
1 vote jayqq1953 | Jul 15, 2006 |
Information from the Hungarian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Divine Invasions is the definitive biography of one of America's greatest novelists and science fiction's greatest ambassador to literary audiences. Philip K. Dick loosened the bonds of the genre, ultimately making his reputation as a literary writer who happened to write speculative fiction, and profoundly influencing such writers as Pynchon, Delillo, David Foster Wallace, and Jonathan Lethem. Divine Invasions is being reissued to coincide with the fall 2005 release of "A Scanner Darkly," a film based on Dick's novel of the same name.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:46 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,610,288 books! | Top bar: Always visible