Visions of Heat (Psy-Changelings, Book 2) by…

Visions of Heat (Psy-Changelings, Book 2) (edition 2007)

by Nalini Singh

Member:crazybatcow
Title:Visions of Heat (Psy-Changelings, Book 2)
Authors:Nalini Singh
Info:Berkley Sensation (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Audiobooks, To read
Tags:audiobook, paranormal romance, 12 in 12

Visions of Heat by Nalini Singh

Full Moon Rising by Keri Arthur (Kegan)
    Kegan: Soul Mates and SHifter
    Dark Desire by Christine Feehan (Kegan)
    Kegan: Soul Mates and SHifter

English (40)  Spanish (1)  All languages (41)
This reader's personal opinion, ©2016, all rights reserved, not to be quoted, clipped or used in any way by Google Play, Penumbra Publishing, amazon.com or other commercial booksellers*
Overall I enjoyed as I always enjoy books from this author. Excellent story, characters to connect to, fascinating worldbuilding -- but an insta-lust with mating-bond making the small "romance" element totally unbelievable and uninteresting. Luckily only a small piece of the book.
“The brain was the single thing that remained sacred among the Psy. To rewire that would equal the erasure of the individual, making the PsyNet a true hive mind.”
The Psy-Changeling world is an interesting one that is shaping up to be a great series. Part of the concept:"The Protocol. Silence. A choice made generations ago to wipe out violence, but that had also succeeded in wiping out joy, laughter, and love. It had made the Psy an emotionless, robotic race that excelled in business and technology but produced no forms of art, no great music, no works of literature"It was nice to see the empath from first book doing well in her new relationship, family and network.

This one introduced a new twist on the PsyNet that I'm not completely buying or on board with if that's the direction the series will be taking.
I can buy that sentience can develop so that there is now an actual Net Mind along the lines of Mike in The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress or as a theory that sufficient mental growth at some point reaches sentience, sure; that it's childlike and split into one good and one evil entity like a Star Trek transporter accident, nope -- in fact, that it's very emotional at all doesn't fit with the PsyNet.

I'll continue the series happily; but, with each book likely to come up with a new insta-lust couple rather than already invested-in characters -- no hurry. Back to back reads of alpha/insta-whatever aren't usually what I'm in the mood for.

Random quotes highlighted during the read:“Last night, she had died.”

"It’s like she’s encased in a shell, more so than other Psy.”

"The logical connection was irrefutable. Her vision channels were being forced to encompass more than the narrow field of commerce, thereby becoming wider. The subject matter or palatability of the new visions was irrelevant.”

“It made her wonder what else had been stifled. Who might she have been had she not been created in Silence, genetically selected to generate a steady stream of income?”

“even if he had to coax her kiss by slow kiss. Cats were good at coaxing. It was only a more sensual aspect of their favorite game—stalking.”
*©2016. All rights reserved except permission is granted to author or publisher (except Penumbra Publishing) to reprint/quote in whole or in part. I may also have posted on booklikes, goodreads, Leafmarks, and may have cross-posted to other book sites including kobo and Barnes and Noble. Posting on any site does not grant that site permission to share with any third parties.

Ratings scale used in absence of a suggested rating scale:

★★★★★ = All Time Favorite.
★★★★½ = Extraordinary Book. Really Loved It.
★★★★☆ = Loved It.
★★★½☆ = Really Liked.
★★★☆☆ = Liked.
★★½☆☆ = Liked parts; parts only okay. Would read more by author.
★★☆☆☆ = Average. Okay.
★½☆☆☆ = Disliked or meh? but kept me reading in hopes would get better.
★☆☆☆☆ = Loathed It. Possibly DNF and a torturous read.
½☆☆☆☆ = So vile was a DNF or should have been. Cannot imagine anyone liking. (Might also be just an "uploaded" word spew or collection that should not be dignified by calling itself a "published book." If author is going batshit crazy in the blogosphere over reviews -- I now know why they are getting bad reviews. Or maybe author should take remedial classes for language written in until basic concepts like using sentences sink in. Is author even old enough to sign a publishing contract or do they need a legal guardian to sign for them?) ( )
  Spurts | May 3, 2016 |
This is the second in Singh's Psy-Changeling series and I found that I liked the way the relationship developed much better than in the first book. The author is remarkably creative and I like the Psy abilities, but this book dragged for me. As in the last book, we don't "see" a clear picture of justice being handed out. I'm not talking about graphic blood and guts details, but we have no idea who this killer was, or if he was a pawn for some other Psy. It was all too neat and tidy for me, but then again, it could be important to the overall series later on.

I didn't "dislike" it, but the plot has a "technical" feel that requires me to be in the right mood to enjoy it. I'll continue with the series, mainly because I've heard from other that the third book is fantastic and things get better from there. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
Really enjoyed the second installment of the series. Nice to see Vaughn get his lady. On CD and the narrator was excellent as well and brought the story to life. ( )
  EleniK | Dec 25, 2015 |
2.5 stars.... For 75 % of this book it felt exactly the same as the first book. Same plot, same everything except for the names of the H/h. I was bored to tears for most of it. I enjoyed all the detailed explanation of the PsyNet in book 1, but in this book it was just too much.

I really only enjoyed the times when I was reading of the changelings and the last 20%... all the rest of the book wasn't to my liking. ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
First one was better, but the general storyline continues to be very intersting, so I reserve justice :) Review soon-ish. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |

Nalini Singhprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dawe, AngelaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one's for my Mum, Usha, the most extraordinary woman I know. With love.
Clinical Insanity.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042521575X, Mass Market Paperback)

Hailed as a major new talent in paranormal romance, Nalini Singh takes us deeper into the world of the Psy and the changelings in her latest extraordinary novel, where a gifted woman sees passion in her future-a passion that is absolutely forbidden by her kind... Used to cold silence, Faith NightStar is suddenly being tormented by dark visions of blood and murder. A bad sign for anyone, but worse for Faith, an F-Psy with the highly sought after ability to predict the future. Then the visions show her something even more dangerous-aching need...exquisite pleasure. But so powerful is her sight, so fragile the state of her mind, that the very emotions she yearns to embrace could be the end of her. Changeling Vaughn D'Angelo can take either man or jaguar form, but it is his animal side that is overwhelmingly drawn to Faith. The jaguar's instinct is to claim this woman it finds so utterly fascinating and the man has no argument. But while Vaughn craves sensation and hungers to pleasure Faith in every way, desire is a danger that could snap the last threads of her sanity. And there are Psy who need Faith's sight for their own purposes. They must keep her silenced-and keep her from Vaughn...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:38 -0400)

Psychic Faith NightStar, plagued by visions of forbidden pleasure, finds herself the prey of changeling Vaughn D'Angelo, part man, part jaguar, who is determined to claim her as his own, while her people, needing her gift for their own evil purposes, strive to keep them apart.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,851,469 books! | Top bar: Always visible