Visions of Heat (Psy-Changelings, Book 2) by…

Visions of Heat (Psy-Changelings, Book 2) (edition 2007)

by Nalini Singh

Member:crazybatcow
Title:Visions of Heat (Psy-Changelings, Book 2)
Authors:Nalini Singh
Info:Berkley Sensation (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Audiobooks, To read
Tags:audiobook, paranormal romance, 12 in 12

Visions of Heat by Nalini Singh

Full Moon Rising by Keri Arthur (Kegan)
    Kegan: Soul Mates and SHifter
    Dark Desire by Christine Feehan (Kegan)
    Kegan: Soul Mates and SHifter

English (42)  Spanish (1)  All languages (43)
After reading eleven books so far I must say that Faith isn't my favourite character. The main reason for that was [b:Mine to Possess|1830755|Mine to Possess (Psy-Changeling, #4)|Nalini Singh|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1298434132s/1830755.jpg|1830610]. It took her awhile to remember how she didn't have any problems being accepted by the Dark River (we don't trust you didn't last that long anyway), but was ready to judge someone who needed help more than she ever did. She redeems herself later though. ( )
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
Faith is an F-Psy, one of the rare Psy who can see the future. And she’s one of the best of the best, literally worth billions from her forecasts

Until her visions become more unpredictable, dangerous and horrific – and she sees not just economic trends, but some brutal murders. The killer stalks her dreams and she fears she may be heading for the inevitable insanity that everyone expects the F-Psy to suffer – or she may crack enough for even her limited freedom to be shattered… for her “own good” of course

But is the only alternative the mysterious, ominous werejaguar who seems so obsessed with her and will not stop until he has demolished all her walls?

It’s difficult to write a review when nearly everything positive I want to say about this book I have already said in my review of Slave to Sensation, mainly the world setting. The whole history and complexity of Psy society, their different powers and abilities and how they’ve evolved with the introduction of the Silence is excellent. I like that we can still see crumbs of why the Psy would have turned to Silence even as we also see how it is so terrible for them now. I like as we explore more and more of the Changelings own history as well – particularly since it shows a lot of their brutal pasts (even if there is a sense of giving the male love interests tragic pasts because nothing makes brooding alpha males sexier than deep seated childhood trauma, apparently) and that their society is also not perfect. It would be easy to paint Changelings as good and Psy as bad but there’s clearly more involved in that. I also like how we had a brief introduction of humanity to this series – just a reference because more wouldn’t be relevant.

I like how this has been developed and the introduction of the Netmind and what that actually means for the Psy race. This world setting is not only fascinating and unique but it is also growing and developing.

The writing continues to be excellently paced and well balanced, bring in both the world building and action and development in a well balanced manner.

I have to say I wasn’t a big fan of Vaughn or Faith. I think both of them were pretty much avatars of their supernatural nature without a whole lot of characterisation on top of that. Faith is a repressed F-Psy and that’s pretty much her character. I didn’t really get much of a sense of her as a person. I’m much more interested in seeing the relationship between her and her father. Or even just in her father. The same goes for Vaughn, he’s a were-jaguar who is close to his Beast but I don’t have much of a sense of him as a person beyond that. Which is a shame because we already have hints of his personality with his choice of decorating and the fact he’s an artist by profession. We also needed more of their actual relationship beyond “rawr sexy psy” “zomg so hot jaguar” mating bond, relationship, declarations of love – job done.

Sadly, the most toxic element of the romance I complained about it Slave to Sensation is repeated in this book – and multiplied several times over. Vaughn has zero respect for Faith’s consent or body autonomy.

Faith firmly believes that touch will overwhelm her. Because she has been brought up with no physical contact and convinced that F-Psy will literally pass out and have seizures if they are touched. Worse, because that risks bringing down her shields to the psy-net and expose herself to anyone who wishes to violate her privacy and her mind. We even see an example of this when Vaughn repeatedly touches her despite her saying no and despite Sascha telling him not to do this.

But it doesn’t matter WHY Faith is saying Vaughn shouldn’t touch her. What is relevant is, like Sascha in the previous book, Faith repeatedly tells him over and over again that she doesn’t want to be touched. Her reasons are irrelevant. If someone doesn’t want you to touch them, you do not touch them. Establishing this romance on Vaughn not giving even the slightest shit about Faith’s boundaries is not romance, it’s a foundation of disrespect and abusiveness

Actually, I take it back – it does matter why Faith was saying no. Not because she thinks she will literally suffer and die from his touch – but because she is wrong. Because the story establishes Vaughn’s touch as the only thing that saves her from her dark visions. And Vaughn insists that Faith needs his touch to help break her Silence Conditioning that is weakening her and making her vulnerable

And he’s right

Why, in the name of all that is sensible, is he right? How does he know anything about the Psy, their physiology or what they can endure? How does he know Faith, her powers, her mind better than she knows herself? This comes down to him basically knowing Faith better than she knows herself. He ignores her consent, but it’s “ok” because he knows what’s good for her – far better than she knows herself. A man violating a woman’s bodily autonomy because he knows what she needs better than she does is such a destructive trope that I honestly can’t even begin to dredge up words to describe this.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Jul 27, 2016 |
Visions of Heat
3 Stars

Synopsis
Faith Nightstar is an F-Psy, i.e. she can foresee the future, and as such is a significant source of income for her Psy family. Unfortunately, Faith is suddenly experiencing visions of horrific murders and fears for her sanity. When Faith decides to seek the help of a Psy defector, she finds herself immersed in a world of touch and sense, and must choose between the only life she has ever known and an all-encompassing passion for the enigmatic Jaguar Changeling, Vaughn D'Angelo.

Review
There are intriguing developments in the overall story arc with much of the focus on the political and psychic aspects of the Psy race. Additional information is provided on the origins of Silence, the nature of the Council and the initial sparks of rebellion amongst the Psy.

The basic plot is virtually identical to Slave to Sensation with a serial killer on the loose and a Psy female and Changeling male working together to uncover his identity. Faith is strong and independent, and Vaughn is sexy as sin but their individual backgrounds are not as compelling as those of Sascha and Lucas in book #1. Moreover, their romance is is too slow out of the gate and their chemistry virtually non-existent. Other than sexual attraction there is little to explain their relationship. For these reasons, it is difficult to become engrossed by their story.

The writing is easy to follow although there are several repetitious events (climbing over fences, Faith losing consciousness, roaming about in the PsyNet, etc.) and the last few chapters are too drawn out. In addition, the serial killer plot ultimately fizzles out and the tension and suspense that characterized book #1 is completely lacking.

Overall, not as satisfying as the first book in the series but I will continue as the world Singh has created is very compelling and I am intrigued by the secondary characters. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
This reader's personal opinion, ©2016, all rights reserved, not to be quoted, clipped or used in any way by Google Play, Penumbra Publishing, amazon.com or other commercial booksellers*
Overall I enjoyed as I always enjoy books from this author. Excellent story, characters to connect to, fascinating worldbuilding -- but an insta-lust with mating-bond making the small "romance" element totally unbelievable and uninteresting. Luckily only a small piece of the book.
“The brain was the single thing that remained sacred among the Psy. To rewire that would equal the erasure of the individual, making the PsyNet a true hive mind.”
The Psy-Changeling world is an interesting one that is shaping up to be a great series. Part of the concept:"The Protocol. Silence. A choice made generations ago to wipe out violence, but that had also succeeded in wiping out joy, laughter, and love. It had made the Psy an emotionless, robotic race that excelled in business and technology but produced no forms of art, no great music, no works of literature"It was nice to see the empath from first book doing well in her new relationship, family and network.

This one introduced a new twist on the PsyNet that I'm not completely buying or on board with if that's the direction the series will be taking.
I can buy that sentience can develop so that there is now an actual Net Mind along the lines of Mike in The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress or as a theory that sufficient mental growth at some point reaches sentience, sure; that it's childlike and split into one good and one evil entity like a Star Trek transporter accident, nope -- in fact, that it's very emotional at all doesn't fit with the PsyNet.

I'll continue the series happily; but, with each book likely to come up with a new insta-lust couple rather than already invested-in characters -- no hurry. Back to back reads of alpha/insta-whatever aren't usually what I'm in the mood for.

Random quotes highlighted during the read:“Last night, she had died.”

"It’s like she’s encased in a shell, more so than other Psy.”

"The logical connection was irrefutable. Her vision channels were being forced to encompass more than the narrow field of commerce, thereby becoming wider. The subject matter or palatability of the new visions was irrelevant.”

“It made her wonder what else had been stifled. Who might she have been had she not been created in Silence, genetically selected to generate a steady stream of income?”

“even if he had to coax her kiss by slow kiss. Cats were good at coaxing. It was only a more sensual aspect of their favorite game—stalking.”
*©2016. All rights reserved except permission is granted to author or publisher (except Penumbra Publishing) to reprint/quote in whole or in part. I may also have posted on booklikes, goodreads, Leafmarks, and may have cross-posted to other book sites including kobo and Barnes and Noble. Posting on any site does not grant that site permission to share with any third parties.

Ratings scale used in absence of a suggested rating scale:

★★★★★ = All Time Favorite.
★★★★½ = Extraordinary Book. Really Loved It.
★★★★☆ = Loved It.
★★★½☆ = Really Liked.
★★★☆☆ = Liked.
★★½☆☆ = Liked parts; parts only okay. Would read more by author.
★★☆☆☆ = Average. Okay.
★½☆☆☆ = Disliked or meh? but kept me reading in hopes would get better.
★☆☆☆☆ = Loathed It. Possibly DNF and a torturous read.
½☆☆☆☆ = So vile was a DNF or should have been. Cannot imagine anyone liking. (Might also be just an "uploaded" word spew or collection that should not be dignified by calling itself a "published book." If author is going batshit crazy in the blogosphere over reviews -- I now know why they are getting bad reviews. Or maybe author should take remedial classes for language written in until basic concepts like using sentences sink in. Is author even old enough to sign a publishing contract or do they need a legal guardian to sign for them?) ( )
  Spurts | May 3, 2016 |
This is the second in Singh's Psy-Changeling series and I found that I liked the way the relationship developed much better than in the first book. The author is remarkably creative and I like the Psy abilities, but this book dragged for me. As in the last book, we don't "see" a clear picture of justice being handed out. I'm not talking about graphic blood and guts details, but we have no idea who this killer was, or if he was a pawn for some other Psy. It was all too neat and tidy for me, but then again, it could be important to the overall series later on.

I didn't "dislike" it, but the plot has a "technical" feel that requires me to be in the right mood to enjoy it. I'll continue with the series, mainly because I've heard from other that the third book is fantastic and things get better from there. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |

Nalini Singhprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dawe, AngelaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This one's for my Mum, Usha, the most extraordinary woman I know. With love.
Clinical Insanity.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042521575X, Mass Market Paperback)

Hailed as a major new talent in paranormal romance, Nalini Singh takes us deeper into the world of the Psy and the changelings in her latest extraordinary novel, where a gifted woman sees passion in her future-a passion that is absolutely forbidden by her kind... Used to cold silence, Faith NightStar is suddenly being tormented by dark visions of blood and murder. A bad sign for anyone, but worse for Faith, an F-Psy with the highly sought after ability to predict the future. Then the visions show her something even more dangerous-aching need...exquisite pleasure. But so powerful is her sight, so fragile the state of her mind, that the very emotions she yearns to embrace could be the end of her. Changeling Vaughn D'Angelo can take either man or jaguar form, but it is his animal side that is overwhelmingly drawn to Faith. The jaguar's instinct is to claim this woman it finds so utterly fascinating and the man has no argument. But while Vaughn craves sensation and hungers to pleasure Faith in every way, desire is a danger that could snap the last threads of her sanity. And there are Psy who need Faith's sight for their own purposes. They must keep her silenced-and keep her from Vaughn...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:38 -0400)

Psychic Faith NightStar, plagued by visions of forbidden pleasure, finds herself the prey of changeling Vaughn D'Angelo, part man, part jaguar, who is determined to claim her as his own, while her people, needing her gift for their own evil purposes, strive to keep them apart.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,367,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible