The Joy of Living: Unlocking the Secret and…

The Joy of Living: Unlocking the Secret and Science of Happiness (edition 2007)

by Yongey Mingyur

Member:Luciana43
Title:The Joy of Living: Unlocking the Secret and Science of Happiness
Authors:Yongey Mingyur
Info:Harmony (2007), Hardcover
Tags:Buddhism

The Joy of Living: Unlocking the Secret and Science of Happiness by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche

English (7)  German (1)  All (8)
I just finished Joy of Living by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche. A great book for the New Year. This book combines meditation practice with some scientific backround on how different parts of the brain and the rest of your body are impacted by meditation. I enjoyed the humor and lightheartedness of the author - definitely someone I would like to learn more about. And a wonderful narration by Campbell Scott! ( )
  jmoncton | Jun 3, 2013 |
this was the right book at the right time for me. Rinpoche is both a Buddhist monk and a scientific thinker who has talked and worked with many scientists. I enjoyed very much the synthesis of ideas and the many meditation techniques shared. It's a simple book but it's given me a lot to think about. I've always been Buddhist in philosophy but I think this is the book that will push me into actual practice. ( )
  sumariotter | Nov 2, 2011 |
A friend recommended this book to me and it was recommended so that I could learn to calm my mind and live with everyday stresses and it is an amazing book to help with that; I love the way it is written and the humor with which he writes and gently chides us to listen to ourselves and believe that we can become what we want to become with just a little effort; I recommend this to anyone who is wanting to rest their mind and live fully in the here and now.
  MsPaquet | Mar 21, 2010 |
A masterpiece!

No other introduction to the Buddhist science-of-mind and associated practice of meditation has been so gentle and "forgiving" as Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche's "The Joy of Living."

Mind you, I am NOT saying that Buddhists are not forgiving, I am saying that we, ourselves, are often unforgiving of ourselves when practicing meditation for the first time. This book helps the beginner get past one's own unforgiving nature which seems to be one of the biggest stumbling blocks to continuing practice.

It is also refreshing to know that one CAN be mindful even when one "loses focus", as long as one is aware of losing focus. This helps one feel successful, even when one is grappling with the "monkey-mind" and even daily interactions of a busy existence.

Though Rinpoche (addressing him by his honorific title) explains that it is impossible (and counterproductive during meditation) to conceptualize regarding Buddhist science of mind, he does a wonderful job of putting the ideas and philosophy into terms that Westerners can make sense of. Coupling that with Western scientific ideas as he does, one gains a direct recipe for attaining happiness.

It is difficult for me to paraphrase or cull the ideas presented in this book, but I can vouch for their resonance with recent discoveries and theories of prominent neuroscientists. (Read "The Mindful Brain" by Dan Siegel, M.D. for an overview and excellent references.)

I will use this book as a guide for my own practice.

Note that the Buddhist "science-of-mind" or "philosophy", as Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche describes it here is NON-sectarian, non-religious, and can be applied by anyone and everyone. I recommend this book highly! ( )
1 vote motjebben | Aug 17, 2009 |
A spiritual guide I constantly refer to. ( )
  final4one | Dec 7, 2008 |

An illuminating perspective on the science of meditation—and a handbook for transforming our minds, bodies, and lives

In The Joy of Living, world-renowned Buddhist teacher Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche—the “happiest man in the world”—invites us to join him in unlocking the secrets to finding joy and contentment in the everyday. Using the basic meditation practices he provides, we can discover paths through our problems, transforming obstacles into opportunities to recognize the unlimited potential of our own minds.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:46 -0400)

Buddhists have enjoyed the benefits of meditation for millennia. Here, renowned Buddhist teacher Yongey Mingyur invites us to join him in unlocking the secrets behind this practice. Working with neuroscientists at the Waisman Laboratory for Brain Imaging and Behavior, Yongey Mingyur provides insights into modern research indicating that systematic training in meditation can enhance activity in areas of the brain associated with happiness and compassion. He has also worked with physicists across the country to develop a scientifically based interpretation of the Buddhist understanding of the nature of reality. Yongey Mingyur weaves together the principles of Tibetan Buddhism, neuroscience, and quantum physics in a way that will change the way we understand the human experience. Using the basic meditation practices he provides, we can discover paths through everyday problems, transforming obstacles into opportunities to recognize the unlimited potential of our own minds.--From publisher description.… (more)

30 wanted3 pay3 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,242,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible