An Army of One: A John Rossett Novel by Tony…

An Army of One: A John Rossett Novel

by Tony Schumacher

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Book Description:
In this enthralling historical thriller set in post World War II London, detective John Henry Rossett must stop a murderous officer as the German occupation of England begins to falter.

Working with the SS in German-occupied Britain was never easy for John Rossett. Though he's returned to his former job, the police inspector has been tainted by his Nazi associations. His suspicious colleagues see him as a collaborator, and he's unwelcome at his old haunts. But the Germans aren't done with Rossett. When decorated SS Captain Karl Bauer kills the US consul in Liverpool, then goes on the run, Generalmajor Neumann orders Rossett to find the missing killer; a swift, cunning, and ruthless man known as "the Bear."

While the Nazis still maintain control over London, Liverpool is run by criminal networks and the British resistance. A wasteland of burned-out buildings and mountains of rubble, the northern port city is the perfect place for a clever warrior like Bauer to hide. Neumann and Rossett's search also turns up damning new information: Bauer's superior, Major Theo Dannecker, has been colluding with the US consul and the British resistance to smuggle large amounts of gold out of the country. As for the Bear, the fervent SS officer has repudiated his allegiance to the crumbling Reich and is now focused on destroying Rossett, the famed "British Lion," one innocent victim at a time.

To prevent more deaths and protect Britain, Rossett must trap the Bear and uncover a diabolical conspiracy that has brought Nazi officers and the British resistance together. Vivid and energetic, full of Schumacher's trademark action and rich, conflicted characters, An Army of One reveals how the strength of one man can turn the tide in an uncertain world.

My Review:
This is the 3rd installment of the John Rossett series. I have read the first two and enjoyed them very much and the 3rd one did not disappoint. The book is action-packed with fascinating characters. I especially like John Rossett as he is a very likable character. He seems to be a very honest person and just wants to get his job done without killing anyone. I find the book to be entertaining and humorous in parts. The book hooks you immediately and does not let go until the very end. The plot twists kept the pages turning and the descriptive writing makes you feel like you are a part of the story. This series would definitely make a great movie. I look forward to reading the next installment and would highly recommend this series to those who like historical mysteries. ( )
  EadieB | Oct 16, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When I received the book, I knew it was a thriller … but I hadn't realized that it was an alternative-history thriller. This is not the kind of fiction I normally read, but I was pleasantly surprised to find it to be a wonderfully written page-turner of a story. I enjoyed it.

The book is filled with interesting, well-developed characters … and John Rossett, the lead character, is so believable as the one-man-army. The action is non-stop, and I love author Tony Schumacher's vivid descriptions of the people in the story and their exploits. I really like the tempo and cadence of his writing. And even after many plot twists and turns, the ending is a surprise (at least, it was to me). ( )
  RaucousRain | Sep 24, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Tony Schumacher's book An Army of One is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,648,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible