Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Andrew Jackson and the Miracle of New…

by Brian Kilmeade (Author), Don Yeager (Author)

Member:Betelgeuse
Title:Andrew Jackson and the Miracle of New Orleans: The Battle That Shaped America's Destiny
Authors:Brian Kilmeade (Author)
Other authors:Don Yeager (Author)
Info:Sentinel (2018), Edition: Reprint, 279 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Biography, History, American Presidents, Famous Americans, President Jackson, War of 1812

Andrew Jackson and the Miracle of New Orleans: The Battle That Shaped America's Destiny by Brian Kilmeade

I read this over the weekend and enjoyed it very much, a great way to brush up on history after you have forgotten everything from school. It was an easy read which I like in Non-fiction. I have a hard time forcing myself to read some non-fiction when it's really wordy it makes my eyes glaze over.
It had some nice tidbits about Jackson I honestly had no clue about. ( )
  greergreer | Mar 1, 2019 |
In the third of Kilmeade's history of obscure events, he takes a look at the southern district of the War of 1812 in which General Jackson takes charge. Again, like the first 2 works, Kilmeade presents the good & not so good of General Jackson's endeavors. His brutal destruction of the Creeks ends British efforts to influence the interior & force the British to look elsewhere. The British military strategy then focused on luring the Caribbean pirates to join them but General Jackson had already reached them first. It is the chess match between British General Pakenham & General Jackson that make the most interesting aspect of this work. Although Pakenham had developed a masterful strategy to counter General Jackson's position, nothing went right & the rest you will have to read for yourself. ( )
  walterhistory | Jan 21, 2019 |
For a quick read that is informative about the battle of New Orleans and the War of 1812 in general, this is a good book. It is told from a very positive perspective and focuses on the exploits of General Andrew Jackson in the Battle of New Orleans. For the purposes of this review, I will focus on style. Kilmead and Yaeger's voice tells the narrative in a compelling manner that will be ,to a patriotic ear, a refreshing story of heroism, bravery, and plain old luck that is a break from the usual rants that paint Andrew Jackson as a genocidal theocrat. Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he WASN'T a genocidal theocrat, I'm just saying that this book does not paint him as such and I might argue that at THIS point in Jackson's life, he wasn't YET a Manifest Destiny touting killer of Native Americans. The book is, if nothing else, compelling. It humanizes Jackson from the outset telling the narrative of his youth during the revolutionary war and his terrible treatment at the hands of the British. It then tells of Jackson's early exploits and his disdain for bureaucracy and of James Madison in particular (the book makes a point of playing Madison up as a wimpy nerd). I cannot fault the accuracy of any statements of historical record as the bibliography is packed with credible sources. I must however state that there are also conclusion drawn that are based on assumptions. The book has a very heavy slant toward the "'Merica!" crowd. However, I would caution anyone wishing to consider this historical non-fiction as a serious history as it is far too biased to be held up as either an altogether accurate account or as a focused discussion of a thesis. It is simply the tale of Jackson and his involvement in the Battle of New Orleans with some early and later life items thrown in for context. I will admit as a patriot and a conservative, I found this a welcome read. However, I have to admit my own bias and point out that from a historical standpoint this book ONLY covers Jackson's wartime actions. It paints Jackson a s a hero. It begs the question, are heroic deeds undone by later acts of cowardice? Whatever your thoughts on Andrew Jackson, this book will satisfy, stylistically, anyone wishing to learn more about the battle in a short amount of time and with some beautiful maps, diagrams and paintings thrown in. ( )
  jcbarr | Feb 27, 2018 |
Excellent work. Although a comparatively slim book, there is a wealth of information not seen before. A huge plus is that the story is told very well. There was never an urge to skip ahead. At least from the perspective of this book, one can understand why Mr. Trump has a portrait of Andrew Jackson in his office. Mentioning Mr. Trump in connection with a book about Andrew Jackson raises the intriguing question: how much native intelligence plays in a person successful in a given field? Certainly, there was nothing in Jackson's early life that would suggest the talent to motivate men or that he had a strategic eye. Is there more to the adage that the right person came along at the right time and did the right thing? Putting it another way, if Jackson had been at the Battle of Washington, would he have obtained a different result? To try to answer these questions is to take us away from the facts of this book and move us into the sublime. ( )
  DeaconBernie | Nov 5, 2017 |

Brian Kilmeadeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Yaeger, Donsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

The War of 1812 saw America threatened on every side. Encouraged by the British, Indian tribes attacked settlers in the West, while the Royal Navy terrorized the coasts. By mid-1814, President James Madison's generals had lost control of the war in the North, losing battles in Canada. Then British troops set the White House ablaze, and a feeling of hopelessness spread across the country. Into this dire situation stepped Major General Andrew Jackson. A native of Tennessee who had witnessed the horrors of the Revolutionary War and Indian attacks, he was glad America had finally decided to confront repeated British aggression. But he feared that President Madison's men were overlooking the most important target of all: New Orleans. If the British conquered New Orleans, they would control the mouth of the Mississippi River, cutting Americans off from that essential trade route and threatening the previous decade's Louisiana Purchase. The new nation's dreams of western expansion would be crushed before they really got off the ground. So Jackson had to convince President Madison and his War Department to take him seriously, even though he wasn't one of the Virginians and New Englanders who dominated the government. He had to assemble a coalition of frontier militiamen, French-speaking Louisianans,Cherokee and Choctaw Indians, freed slaves, and even some pirates. And he had to defeat the most powerful military force in the world, in the confusing terrain of the Louisiana bayous. In short, Jackson needed a miracle. The local Ursuline nuns set to work praying for his outnumbered troops. And so the Americans, driven by patriotism and protected by prayer, began the battle that would shape our young nation's destiny.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,467,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible