Hyperspace : A Scientific Odyssey Through…

Hyperspace : A Scientific Odyssey Through Parallel Universes, Time Warps,… (1994)

by Michio Kaku

This book really introduced me to higher dimensions. I read this years ago before I had much knowledge of physics. Dr Kaku's explanations were so fantastic and easy to visualize that I immediately was sucked in. Amazing intro to more advanced physics. ( )
  sffstorm | Jul 3, 2014 |
Mr. Kaku has always been one of my favorite guests on Coast to Coast AM, speculating on extraterrestrial civilizations and scientific knowledge and capability beyond ours. This book is an oddyssey on some of the more fantastical ideas that modern phycisists are speculationg at what lies beyond our perceptions in this, our physical universe. He starts with a history of physics, classical, relativity and quantum, and talks about the parallel developments in mathematics and then gets down to the fun stuff, that the structure of space is a far stranger and more possiblity laden place than conventional thought might admit to. The math can get a little heavy for someone with a non-math mind. But if ideas are what you are about, this book brings 'em. ( )
  stonester1 | Jun 15, 2012 |
Not too long ago, I got a copy of [Everyone's Guide to Atoms, Einstein, and the Universe] in the member giveaway program. The book was quite fascinating, and kindled my interest.

A few months later, on a whim, I picked up this book. I had seen the author on TV a couple of times in the morning, and he was very interesting there.

I really enjoyed this book. The author puts in a lot of interesting quotes and asides about the various characters and personalities that come up thru the book.

I didn't find it as easy to digest, in whole, as Mr. Piccioni's book, but I still enjoyed it.

There are sections in here that will hurt your brain if you try and think it through (I'm looking at you, "Jane") ...but it's all in good fun. There are discussions of time travel, wormholes, parallel universes, death of the universe, etc.

The main topic is "string theory". It is really quite interesting, but I don't want to kid myself and think i have a complete handle on it. So the science in here seems to be really great.

The author brings up some other things I found kind of amusing. He seemed a little upset that Congress didn't fund a giant particle accelerator. I personally thought, "Good, that much money probably could be put into the debt" :)

Also there seems to be an idea that we can't progress beyond a certain level until the entire world is under one united government. Umm...yeah, don't see that happening any time soon. In my opinion, that's a good thing.

One thing puzzles me still with these type of books. There are all these great theories about how objects move, how space and the universe is defined, how subatomic particles and energy work. But, as of yet, I haven't caught on to how they would define basic life. What is a thought? What is an emotion? I guess these type of things are beyond the realm of physics, because physics wants to be something that can be proved by experimentation. The funny thing is, from what I understand here, there are some big parts of these theories that haven't fully been tested. So it seems to me, physics requires a bit of faith.

The thing is, these guys are always working on filling in the holes. It may very well be this book has some out of date information.

I did enjoy this book, and i've already started another of the authors books, Parallel Worlds. ( )
1 vote NightHawk777 | Jan 12, 2010 |
Clap-Trap drivel from the latest hyperactive nerd to try his hand at covertly unifying spirituality with modern physics. Kaku put down the "Circle of Iron" DVD. ( )
  Sippara | Jun 18, 2009 |

A great book. Definitely a must-read. It's been a while since I last picked up a science book of any kind, but I've become interested more and more in learning about this sort of thing. Over Christmas, a great programme aired on Nova on PBS, called The Elegant Universe, which surveyed the development of multiple dimensions and string theory in the realm of (largely) theoretical physics (also a book, which I intend to read sometime soon as well). I missed it over Christmas (visiting family, etc.), but the programme is available online, and I highly recommend it.

Anyway, it's definitely nerdy of me, but it's a field I find interesting (and one in which I have absolutely no training). I haven't taken a physics class since grade 10 (Secondaire IV for all you hard-core Québecers in the crowd). So I resolved to read it in order to better understand the Nova programme. In clear, simple language, Michio Kaku, a professor of theoretical physics at the City College of the City University of New York, outlines the history of the development of the theory of hyperspace. In a nutshell, things are simpler to understand when expressed in higher dimensions. He gives the (commonly-used) example of someone who is flat and lives in a flat, two-dimensional world. To such a Flatlander, a three-dimensional object would not make sense, as it would never remain constant from second to second. For example, if a 3-D apple were to fall onto the Flatlander's world, a Flatlander could only view it in segmented 2-D slices. Brown lines representing the apple stem. Then red or green lines, changing rapidly, first growing larger then smaller, as the apple passes 'through' his world. A Flatlander cannot think in 3-D since there is no way to represent this in his world. We have the same problem living in our three-dimensional world, but it is generally accepted that there are at least four dimensions (the three familiar ones of space, and the fourth of time as posited by Einstein), with the possibility of a fifth (a space-time dimension). However, for hyperspace to be feasible, there are, in fact, many more dimensions - likely 10 or 11. (Some superstring theories, which is related to hyperspace, suggest as many as 26!)

Anyway, a good read for anyone who's wondered about physics but was too scared to ask, as it were. Simple language, good explanations, very interesting. ( )
1 vote pixxiefish | Mar 17, 2009 |
This book is dedicated to my parents
Two incidents from my childhood greatly enriched my understanding of the world and sent me on course to become a theoretical physicist.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385477058, Paperback)

How many dimensions do you live in? Three? Maybe that's all your commonsense sense perception perceives, but there is growing and compelling evidence to suggest that we actually live in a universe of ten real dimensions. Kaku has written an extraordinarily lucid and thought-provoking exploration of the theoretical and empirical bases of a ten-dimensional universe and even goes so far as to discuss possible practical implications--such as being able to escape the collapse of the universe. Yikes. Highly Recommended.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:35 -0400)

Discusses why physicists think that universes are parrallel, plural, and full of wormholes.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,633,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible