The Sunset Limited: A Novel in Dramatic Form…

The Sunset Limited: A Novel in Dramatic Form (edition 2006)

by Cormac McCarthy

Title:The Sunset Limited: A Novel in Dramatic Form
Authors:Cormac McCarthy
Info:Vintage (2006), Paperback, 160 pages

The Sunset Limited by Cormac McCarthy

English (20)  Italian (1)  All languages (21)
Another book written by Cormac McCarthy that makes me feel just 'meh'.

There are two characters, Black and White who are in Black's apartment having a conversation about the meaning of life and the subject of faith. Black is a reformed sinner who found God and White is an educated atheist who wants to kill himself and has a very nihilistic view of the world and humanity.

Black tries his absolute best to convince White that life has meaning through various anecdotes and personal stories. I found Black to be pretty boring, and I hated his roundabout ways of trying to illustrate his point. He just talks and talks forever and White's dialogue is merely a couple of words in response. Didn't feel like much of a conversation or debate to me. Near the end White finds his voice and puts forward his interesting view of the world but I wanted that from the first page. In short this novel disappointed me as I wanted a more interesting exchange of opposing points of view. ( )
  KittyBimble | Nov 26, 2015 |
Fairly pedestrian. White's dialogue is overwrought and overwritten toward the end. 2.5 stars. ( )
  Michael.Xolotl | Nov 11, 2015 |
This book was written in the style of a play, which was very effective because the dialogue was strong; I think including too much prose about setting and actions would have detracted from what was being said. As it is, the subject matter the two men were talking about was very deep, and there were a handful of times I had to put down the book and just think about what was revealed to me. I highly recommend this, though McCarthy and this style might not be as enjoyable to every reader. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
A well-written play (or a novel in dramatic form) about different attitudes of an atheist and a religious man.
The good thing is there is no straight conclusion at the end and you can draw your own conclusion from the script.

“I yearn for the darkness. I pray for death. Real death. If I thought that in death I would meet the people I've known in life I don't know what I'd do. That would be the ultimate horror. The ultimate despair. If I had to meet my mother again and start all of that all over, only this time without the prospect of death to look forward to? Well. That would be the final nightmare. Kafka on wheels.” ( )
  payam-tommy | Mar 13, 2015 |
Potentissimo ed essenziale.
Vette di dialoghi semplicissimi che parlano delle cose piu' difficili del mondo. Un compendio di tutte le religioni; o almeno, della parte che conta.
Niente riti, niente stronzate.
Un distillato di verità, su carta. ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |
The Sunset Limited is a technically and creatively pedestrian work that falls far short of what readers should expect of a master like McCarthy at this point in his career.
“The one thing I won’t give up is giving up,” White says toward the end of the play, his language elevating and his curt sentences expanding into more elaborate musings. This is no mere argument anymore. It’s a poem in celebration of death.
added by eereed | editNew York Times, Jason Zinoman (Oct 31, 2006)
As his descriptive writing has, over the decades, economised so his discursive writing has expanded; read The Road as a two-character play with lengthy stage directions, and read The Sunset Limited as an intriguing companion to that work.

McCarthy, Cormacprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Knight, EzraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pendleton, AustinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A startling encounter on a New York subway platform leads two strangers to a run-down tenement where a life or death decision must be made.

In that small apartment, “Black” and “White,” as the two men are known, begin a conversation that leads each back through his own history, mining the origins of two fundamentally opposing world views. White is a professor whose seemingly enviable existence of relative ease has left him nonetheless in despair. Black, an ex-con and ex-addict, is the more hopeful of the men–though he is just as desperate to convince White of the power of faith as White is desperate to deny it.

Their aim is no less than this: to discover the meaning of life.

Deft, spare, and full of artful tension, The Sunset Limited is a beautifully crafted, consistently thought-provoking, and deceptively intimate work by one of the most insightful writers of our time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:53 -0400)

An encounter on a New York subway platform leads two strangers to a run-down tenement where a life or death decision must be made. The two men begin a conversation that leads each back through his own history, mining the origins of two fundamentally opposing worldviews.… (more)

99 wanted5 pay3 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,850,023 books! | Top bar: Always visible