Every Crooked Nanny by Kathy Hogan Trocheck

Every Crooked Nanny (1992)

by Kathy Hogan Trocheck (Author)

Series: Callahan Garrity (1)

I'd not heard of this series before, but I do like Southern novels. The
blurbs and reviews use words like "Bright and sassy." Well, it was an okay
story with okay characters, but nothing that I found particularly sassy or
bright. A reasonable read and I'll try a couple more in the series before I
give up on it. But this one gets a 3. I've read far better, but I've also
read far worse. We'll see how another one goes. ( )
  madamejeanie | Sep 18, 2008 |
Bought as part of a buy 4-for-3 deal at amazon.com, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the work. The characters are well developed, the story interesting and the overall experience good enough to send me to the library to seek out the rest of the series. ( )
  Mulebarn | Jul 12, 2008 |
Protagonist: J. Callahan Garrity--ex-cop, failed P.I. and owner of the House Mouse cleaning service
Setting: present-day Atlanta
Series: #1

First Line: I knew it was going to be a bad day when Neva Jean called that early in the morning.

While cleaning the home of snooty Lilah Rose Beemish, Callahan is hired to trace Kristee, the family's Mormon nanny who has absconded with furs, jewels and business secrets stolen from Lilah's husband Bo during their affair. Callahan's investigation leads her to Kristee's boyfriend, to a lesbian who loved the missing woman and then to Kristee's body, stored in a fur vault with Lilah's black sable. Bo and Lilah seem the most likely suspects as Callahan digs up dirt about Bo's multimillion-dollar real estate deal.

Trocheck has a marvelous cast of characters in this first book of the series, and I'm looking forward to seeing what she does with them in following books. The only real problem I found with Every Crooked Nanny was that it really didn't pick up steam until the last third of the book. ( )
  cathyskye | Jun 21, 2008 |

Trocheck, Kathy HoganAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andrews, Mary KayAuthormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my family with love,
especially Tom, Katie and Andy,
and all the rest of the Hogans and Trochecks

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061091707, Mass Market Paperback)

After ten years of cleaning up the dirt on Atlanta's streets, Callahan Garrity is trading in her badge for a broom and a staff of house cleaners. But, though the uniform is a little different, Callahan soon finds herself right back in the middle of a mystery when a client's pretty, pious nineteen-year-old nanny is gone ... along with the jewelry, silver, and a few rather sensitive real estate documents.

Before she knows it, the meticulous Callahan is up to her elbows in a case involving illicit love triangles, crooked business deals, long-distance scams, and a dead body. Now she has to roll up her sleeves and start some industrial strength sleuthing to solve -- and survive -- this mess.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:40 -0400)

"After ten years of cleaning up Atlanta's streets, former cop Callahan Garrity trades in her badge for a broom and buys herself a housekeeping business. She's on the job when her clients discover that their pretty nineteen-year-old Mormon nanny has disappeared...along with jewelry, silver, and a few rather sensitive real estate documents. ...it's going to require some industrial-strength sleuthing on Callahan's part if she wants to solve--and survive--this one."--Back cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,335,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible