CIRCE (#1 New York Times bestseller) by…

CIRCE (#1 New York Times bestseller) (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Madeline Miller (Author)

Member:MissYvonnee
Title:CIRCE (#1 New York Times bestseller)
Authors:Madeline Miller (Author)
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2018), Edition: 1st Edition, 400 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Circe by Madeline Miller (2018)

Circe has not the look or sound of divinity, but a goddess she is. Daughter of Helios and Perse, Circe grows up unloved and spurned in the halls of a Titan’s palace. It’s a lonely upbringing that creates a well of strength within her that is drawn upon again and again over her centuries and which leads her, in her exile, to discover her true power.

From Circe’s meeting with Prometheus and the life-altering consequences to her love of Glaucos and Daedalus, her rivalry with Scylla and the year with Odysseus, Miller has taken many stories from the Greek mythological pantheon involving Circe and woven them into this retelling of her life.

There are many cruelties and disappointments visited on Circe, but in learning her lessons and harnessing her will she gains her power and independence. Thought-provoking reflections on the nature of immortality and what it means to live are scattered throughout. Beautifully written and full of nuance, this is the story of a goddess who’s journey mirrors that of the mortals she comes to admire. ( )
  SouthernKiwi | Mar 18, 2019 |
I loved this book!! I couldn't put it down. Circe was compelling and real (she sounded so experienced and tired towards the end that one forgets that probably in appearance she looks like a beautiful maid still), the gods were so irrational and self-centered and monstrous, the men landing on Aiaia so base...it was a joy to read.

This powerful retelling of a classical myth from the perspective of a (little-known/little-regarded) woman figure shows that history wasn't all men and heroes.

Odysseus too was still the popular mythical hero, but here his cruelty is also shown, and one appreciates the life of a normal, unassuming mortal like Telemachus.

I enjoyed The Song of Achilles too, but perhaps this one was even more to my taste b/c it was told from a woman's perspective. Madeleine Miller is like Mary Renault reincarnate...but possibly even a better storyteller than Renault. I will definitely be eagerly awaiting her future works! ( )
  emanate28 | Mar 14, 2019 |
I really enjoyed this book. The narration was awesome. I've never read about the "gods" before and this book was a treat. ( )
  LASMIT | Mar 9, 2019 |
Circe was born into a powerful family of Titans and legendary siblings, who are all greedy for power. However, Circe’s powers of are a threat to the gods, and the misuse of her powers lead her to become exiled to an island with its own dangers.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Mar 7, 2019 |
4 1/2 stars. I know next to nothing about the classical myths so I've probably missed all kinds of themes and allusions, but the book still had lots to say to me. The language made this mythical past feel both distant and immediate for me - she writes relatively simple, direct sentences that have a kind of stateliness about them too. Here's a quote that I think illustrates that, and also gives an idea of how fascinating a character Circe is and the depths of her struggles to understand herself and live a purposeful life.

I paced the rocks. I had walked the earth for a hundred generations, yet I was still a child to myself. Rage and grief, thwarted desire, lust, self-pity: these are emotions gods know well. But guilt and shame, remorse, ambivalence, those are foreign countries to our kind, which must be learned stone by stone. I could not stop thinking of my sister's face, that blank shock when I told her I would never be like her. What had she hoped for? That we would send messages back and forth in seabirds' mouths? That we would share spells, fight the gods? That we might be, in our way, sisters at last?

badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
“Circe” will surely delight readers new to the witch’s stories as it will many who remember her role in the Greek myths of their childhood: Like a good children’s book, it engrosses and races along at a clip, eliciting excitement and emotion along the way.

Miller has taken the familiar materials of character, and wrought some satisfying turns of her own.

[W]hat elevates Circe is Miller’s luminous prose, which is both enormously readable and evocative, and the way in which she depicts the gulf between gods and mortals.

Written in prose that ripples with a gleaming hyperbole befitting the epic nature of the source material, there is nothing inaccessible or antiquated about either Circe or her adventures.

The character of Circe only occupies a few dozen lines of [the Odyssey], but Miller extracts worlds of meaning from Homer's short phrases.

For Nathaniel
νόστος
When I was born, the name for what I was did not exist.
When I was born, the name for what I was did not exist.

In the house of Helios, god of the sun and mightiest of the Titans, a daughter is born. But Circe is a strange child--not powerful, like her father, nor viciously alluring like her mother. Turning to the world of mortals for companionship, she discovers that she does possess power--the power of witchcraft, which can transform rivals into monsters and menace the gods themselves.

Threatened, Zeus banishes her to a deserted island, where she hones her occult craft, tames wild beasts and crosses paths with many of the most famous figures in all of mythology, including the Minotaur, Daedalus and his doomed son Icarus, the murderous Medea, and, of course, wily Odysseus.

But there is danger, too, for a woman who stands alone, and Circe unwittingly draws the wrath of both men and gods, ultimately finding herself pitted against one of the most terrifying and vengeful of the Olympians. To protect what she loves most, Circe must summon all her strength and choose, once and for all, whether she belongs with the gods she is born from, or the mortals she has come to love. Amazon

Follows Circe, the banished witch daughter of Helios, as she hones her powers and interacts with famous mythological beings before a conflict with one of the most vengeful Olympians forces her to choose between the worlds of the gods and mortals.Circe is not powerful like her father Helios, nor viciously alluring like her mother Perse. Turning to the world of mortals for companionship, she discovers that she does possess power-- the power of witchcraft, which can transform rivals into monsters and menace the gods themselves. Zeus banishes her to a deserted island, where she hones her occult craft, tames wild beasts and crosses paths with many figures in mythology. When Circe unwittingly draws the wrath of both men and gods, she ultimately finding herself pitted against one of the most terrifying and vengeful of the Olympians.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,466,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible