Phoebe's Light (Nantucket Legacy) by…

Phoebe's Light (Nantucket Legacy)

by Suzanne Woods Fisher

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I knew where Nantucket was and of course I had a general idea about the whaling industry in the past, but I knew NOTHING about the actual life and facts this vocation entailed!
Ms. Fisher’s talented writing made me feel as if I was on Nantucket Island watching the people and on the ship experiencing the work of the crew and captain. Amazing! Phoebe Starbuck was an 18 year old teenager in the 1760’s. Upon her birthday she was given a much coveted diary of her great-grandmother, Mary Coffin Starbucks who wrote it 100 years earlier. The wisdom of “Great Mary” as she was called was legendary. Throughout the story pages of the diary are shared, giving the reader glimpses into the founding of Nantucket Island. Most of all Phoebe’s great-grandmother’s experience and faith helped her face insurmountable odds. I loved great Mary’s wise writings. Some of them I wanted to write down and keep!
Her childhood sweetheart, Matthew Macy had turned away from God and Quaker church so she ended relationship with him that was to end in marriage. She shows that young teens 350 years ago in many ways are not different than they are today. She had a crush on the dashing and wealthy Captain Phineas Foulger and just KNEW he was the one for her to marry, not even bringing God into the equation! Suddenly he asks for her hand and after a hurried she on cloud 9. She convinces him to let her sail with him on his next whaling expedition, something totally unheard of. Surprisingly he agrees!
This is where the adventure and suspense begins. The descriptiveness of the living and working on a whaling ship were incredible! I was riveted to the book! Poor Phoebe’s dreams and life were overturned, especially her stomach. Her suffering with sea sickness and the harsh environment made me think I was going to have to go take some Pepto-Bismol at some points!
She learned that seeking your own way instead of God’s will not work out like you think. But her story also shows that He will take care of us even in our foolish choices. Another incredible read from Suzanne Woods Fisher. I can’t wait for the rest of the books in this series! ( )
  Mizroady | Jul 29, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a very interesting work that takes place during the heyday of Nantucket's Whaling industry in the early years of America's birth. A young woman named Phoebe is struggling to find herself and her place in this community. Phoebe struggles with helping her father and herself survive ends meet, struggles with her feelings for 2 men in her community, and also struggles to survive. A very good book, though it did take awhile to sort out the early American language and the characters. ( )
  chrirob | May 18, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love Suzanne Woods Fishers Amish stories.... and while this is a little different than her other books, it was every bit as enjoyable to read. Some of my favorite reads are historic novels like this that bring the past alive, and you get a feel for what it must have been like living back then. The blending of a story within a story is another author's ploy that I really enjoy, so Phoebe's reading of her great grandmothers journal was so interesting! Books that blend the events of the past with what is present day in the story always fascinates me! And getting to 'hear' from your ancestors through their journals would be amazing! The details about journeys by ships in that time period was interesting, and so were the details about Quaker beliefs. The attention to detail and research done is evident. I had trouble putting this book down....looking forward to the next book in the series! ( )
  macnoid | Apr 3, 2018 |
I believe in giving honest reviews, and this one will be the same as all my other. Honest. My thoughts on this book? Ugh. That’s right. Ugh. I was very disappointed in how this book turned out. I am usually a big fan of all of Suzanne Woods Fisher’s novels but this one was……well, frankly, bland. Very bland. I could not get into it easily. It took me many tries to actually get to the end of the story and by that point I was so frustrated with the way it was written that it lost all appeal to me.

That said, I personally can not give this book more than 2 stars. However, just because I found the characters lacking and the story line flat, does not mean that you or someone you know may feel the same way, so I do still encourage you to give it a try. It’s just not a book for me. Does this mean I have given up on reading Suzanne’s books? Absolutly not. Sometimes, an author goes through down times just like every person in life. I will definitely give the next book in this series a try and hope that it’s not quite so bland.

*I received a complimentary copy of this book from Revell Books and was under no obligation to post a review, positive or negative.* ( )
  JboyzMom | Mar 5, 2018 |
Wow, I loved reading all the different paths that this story took. From wanting a new take on life to finding out that it wasn't as expected. I can just imagine Phoebe being one who wanted her own way and then when she got it having to turn to an unwanted gift to get her through her new life at sea. She has to depend on things that she never expected to make it in her new life.
I received a copy of the book from the publisher, the review is my own. ( )
  polarmath | Feb 28, 2018 |

Phoebe Starbuck has always adjusted her sails and rudder to the whims of her father. Now, for the first time, she's doing what she wants to do: marrying Captain Phineas Foulger and sailing far away from Nantucket. As she leaves on her grand adventure, her father gives her two gifts, both of which Phoebe sees little need for. The first is an old sheepskin journal from Great Mary, her highly revered great-grandmother. The other is a "minder" on the whaling ship in the form of cooper Matthew Mitchell, a man whom she loathes. Soon Phoebe discovers that life at sea is no easier than life on land. Lonely, seasick, and disillusioned, she turns the pages of Great Mary's journal and finds herself drawn into the life of this noble woman. To Phoebe's shock, her great-grandmother has left a secret behind that carries repercussions for everyone aboard the ship, especially her husband the captain and her shadow the cooper. This story within a story catapults Phoebe into seeing her life in an entirely new way--just in time.--Amazon.com.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Suzanne Woods Fisher's book Phoebe's Light is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,764,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible