Beneath the Surface by Lynn H. Blackburn

Fast paced romantic suspense that I thoroughly enjoyed. I look forward to reading more from this author. ( )
  MissYvonnee | Sep 18, 2018 |
On a routine diving drill, a decapitated and dismembered body is found in a quiet lake. Homicide investigator Ryan Parker, Gabe Chavez, and dive captain Anissa Bell are suddenly thrust into a murder investigation. Worse yet, Leigh Weston, whom Ryan is coming to care for, has become an object of several no-holds-barred murder attempts.

I loved getting in on the ground level of this new series. It was also fun to see other relationships, besides Leigh and Ryan’s, develop just enough that we can reasonably be assured they will get their own story. Also, Blackburn develops all her characters to the point I care about somewhere between 6-10 characters and would be proud to call any of them “friend.”

I just loved Mr. Cook. He may be old, but he’s God’s prayer warrior, and His people know it.
“If Mr. Cook decided to pray for you, you could be sure the Almighty was going to get involved.” My parents’ prayers are like that, and I pray that mine will become as effective... not for fame, but to help others realize the greatness of our God. That is the kind of character Mr. Cook is.

To be honest, Leigh struggles with juxtaposing God’s greatness and all-powerfulness with His allowing sin and atrocities to occur.
“If God had protected her, that was awesome. But why allow any of it?”
This is a great question that many of us have, and it is well-answered.

I read this on my kindle. At first, I thought I had smudges on the screen. I finally figured out there were light “fingerprints” between chapters. How perfect.

With plenty of suspense, some romance, and a few great twists, Lynn H. Blackburn is a romantic suspense author to add to your must-read pile.
I will definitely be back for book two with my wetsuit on.

I gratefully received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley. This in no way influenced my opinions, freely given, for which I am solely responsible. ( )
  Becky_L | Jun 14, 2018 |
This is the first book in a new series and the first book I have read by this author and I loved it. I look forward to many more romantic suspense books by this author. I really enjoyed the banter between Leigh and Ryan. This book wouldn’t let me put it down. This had many twists and turns. I received a copy of this book from Revell for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will. ( )
  Virginia51 | Apr 1, 2018 |
Lynn H. Blackburn is a new author for me. But with the fast-paced twists and turns I found in Beneath The Surface, she has moved to the top of my must-read list for romantic suspense. The great characters, an interesting plot foundation, and a keep-you-guessing story line make this book a recommended read.

The novel starts out strong with a dive team based in a town in North Carolina. The team made up of people across law enforcement finds a body in a routine training exercise. The investigation is hindered by the circumstances and condition of the body, but this team is professional and determined to get their man or woman. Swept up in the investigation is nurse practitioner Leigh Weston. As the danger increases to Leigh, so does the attraction between her and childhood friend Ryan Parker. They need to get the case solved fast — so they can get back to normal life and pursue a relationship!

Blackburn builds an ensemble cast in this first book in the Dive Team Investigations series. While the story revolves around the investigation of the body found in the lake and the romance between Leigh and Ryan, the other members of the team are integral parts of the action and great supporting characters that will get their own stories in coming books. Leigh and Ryan are relatable characters with doubts and struggles common to all. Their belief in God is strengthened as they face the dangers and a case that creates more questions than answers. And the case is a tricky one — the threats come fast and furious! A real puzzler, it combines the day to day grind of police work with the addition of high tech help. Because of Leigh’s work in the ER, Beneath The Surface also has a medical drama vibe that adds to the action and suspense.

My book club is reading Beneath The Surface later this year. I cannot wait to introduce my group to a this book that promises more great reading to come!

Recommended.

Audience: adults.

(Thanks to the author and Revell for a complimentary copy. All opinions expressed are mine alone.) ( )
  vintagebeckie | Mar 26, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book through Librarything.com Early Review Giveaway for an honest review. I really did enjoy and love this book!!!! It was a fast pace book. The characters were great and strongly identified it the book. When I was read the book I could picture the characters clearly. ( )
  harleyqgrayson02 | Mar 20, 2018 |

"After a harrowing experience with an obsessed patient, oncology nurse practitioner Leigh Weston needed a change. She thought she'd left her troubles behind when she moved home to Carrington, North Carolina, and took a job in the emergency department of the local hospital. But when someone tampers with her brakes, she fears the past has chased her into the present. She reaches out to her high school friend turned homicide investigator, Ryan Parker, for help. Ryan finds satisfaction in his career, but his favorite way to use his skills is as a volunteer underwater investigator with the Carrington County Sheriff's Office dive team. When the body of a wealthy businessman is discovered in Lake Porter, the investigation uncovers a possible serial killer--one with a terrifying connection to Leigh Weston and deadly implications for them all. Dive Team Investigations series." -- Publisher's annotation.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Lynn H. Blackburn's book Beneath the Surface is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,993,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible