A Borrowed Dream (Cimarron Creek Trilogy) by…

A Borrowed Dream (Cimarron Creek Trilogy)

by Amanda Cabot

A Borrowed Dream tells the story of Catherine and Austin. Catherine has trouble trusting, but soon learns to as she gets to know Austin. Austin has secrets of his own, but is just trying to do the best for his daughter. The two of them have to get past hurts and secrets and soon come to find hope in each other. A great read.
I received a copy of the book from the publisher, the review is my own. ( )
  polarmath | Jun 5, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I liked the pace of the romance. Historical fiction with suspense and romance.
Life where dreams come true was very nice. Loneliness is a very real thing for many people.
The characters in the story were very believable!!
I really enjoyed the book. ( )
  hope3957 | Apr 24, 2018 |
Catherine Whitfield is a school teacher in the Texas town of Cimarron City, in the late 1800’s. She cared deeply for all her students and was concerned about their welfare as well as their education. A new student, Hannah Goddard comes to school with her strikingly handsome widowed father. They had recently purchased a ranch and moved from Pennsylvania. His daughter is very unhappy and struggling to adjust. Unbeknownst to the town, he is not a rancher, but a doctor, attempting to hide and protect his daughter from a criminal. Catherine having just lost her mother due to the local doctor’s primitive medical treatment, has more on her mind that the attractive new man. Hilariously he is all the mothers in town with single daughters of a marriageable can think of. Although I laughed, I felt sorry for poor Austin trying to politely dodge all of them.
I found the story very entertaining and suspenseful but there were also some surprising parts. The first being Austin wasn’t just any doctor but a plastic surgeon! I didn’t even know there were any back then! My first thoughts were, “There weren’t face lifts, breast plants or liposuction, and so what did they do?” After some research I found they did reconstructive surgery on severe injuries. Many of their patients were soldiers injured in battle. Conniving and hardened criminals were just as much present then as now. Just such a one was in pursuit of Austin to force him to use his skills evil plans.
I naively have pictured the era that this was written in as far simpler than our society today. It surprised me that the same problems and corruptions existed in this era too! One of Catherine’s students’ is severely abused and neglected by his father. A young girl is raped and becomes pregnant. There were no government agencies or special law enforcements to help the victims or bring their perpetrators to justice. The care and protection of the innocent came from loving, kindhearted and caring people. It was a reminder that individuals were much more personally involved in the lives of their neighbors, especially in times of need. Ms. Cabot beautifully illustrates true forgiveness and godly character in the face of horrible circumstances and offenses. A wonderful book!
I received this book from Revell Publications in exchange for an honest review. The opinions I have stated are my own. ( )
  Mizroady | Apr 17, 2018 |
This was a wonderful story. I loved the secret that Austin Goddard has. I was fascinated that there was plastic surgery that was being done in the 1880’s. Catherine was a great character also. I can’t wait for the next book in this series. This is a greT western historical romance with that bit of suspense. I received a copy of this book from Revell for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will. ( )
  Virginia51 | Apr 16, 2018 |
I wish there was a way to do 3.5 stars. This is the 2nd book in the series but it can totally be read as a stand alone book. I really like the plot lines and character development was great. I wish there was a little more setting development at the beginning. I had a hard time seeing it in my head. The story started out a little slow for me but got better as the story progressed. I love how clean the story is. Loved the elements of forgiveness and dreams coming true when we wait on the Lord. It was great to learn some history in a fun story. Love learning like that. The author put a ton of time into research and it shows in the story. She weaves Christian themes into the story without making the reader feel overwhelmed by it. They are natural and add so much to the story even in their simplicity. The children add a lot to the story. I loved that storyline. I had a hard time with the word minions. I felt like that part of the story could have been better. It was a real turn off to see that word for some reason. Overall the story was sweet and well written.
It’s an easy clean read you will surely enjoy.
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion. I was in no way required to write a positive review. ( )
  kkireinaa | Apr 11, 2018 |

"Catherine Whitfield is sure that she will never again be able to trust anyone in the medical profession after the town doctor's excessive bleeding treatments killed her mother. Despite her loneliness and her broken heart, she carries bravely on as Cimarron Creek's dutiful schoolteacher, resigned to a life without love or family, a life where dreams rarely come true. Austin Goddard is a newcomer to Cimarron Creek. Posing as a rancher, he fled to Texas to protect his daughter from a dangerous criminal. He's managed to keep his past as a surgeon a secret. But when Catherine Whitfield captures his heart, he wonders how long he will be able to keep up the charade. With a deft hand, Amanda Cabot teases out the strands of love, deception, and redemption in this charming tale of dreams deferred and hopes becoming reality"--Page 4 of cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Amanda Cabot's book A Borrowed Dream is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,993,790 books! | Top bar: Always visible