The Golden Vial (Legends of the Realm) by…

The Golden Vial (Legends of the Realm)

by Thomas Locke

2011731,997 (3.55)1

This book is the conclusion in the Legends of the Realm trilogy. I liked seeing the story line wrapped up and how Lady Shona worked at leading her people even with everything that was against her. I liked seeing how she had to put her reliance in someone that she did not know and did not know if they could get the job done, but had to trust that they could.
I received a copy of the book from the publisher, the review is my own. ( )
  polarmath | Jun 5, 2018 |
If you enjoy fantasies with elves, humans and dragons you will so enjoy this book. This is Book three in the Legends of the Realm series. You don’t have to read books 1 and 2 to understand this one but if they are as good as this one then you should read them. Dally is a wonderful character who is full of magic that she doesn’t understand. She helps to save this world. I received a copy of this book from Revell for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will. ( )
  Virginia51 | Apr 17, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Dally is a young orphan working as a servant in the mayor of Honor’s home. After the fire that claimed the lives of her family, the mayor opened his home to her. Despite being a servant, Dally enjoys spending time with the mayor’s dog and her pups. They have developed a special bond and she worries about the day that she will be parted from them.
Once Dally develops the telepathic ability to communicate with the puppies and Queen Shona, the unofficial queen of realm, she helps Queen Shona and her army arrive and defeat the mysterious creatures living in the forest outside Honor.
Now the realm is suffering from a severe and mysterious illness. Hyam, the hero who defeated the crimson mage during the battle of Emporis, is one of many suffering from this illness, with no known cure. With the realm under attack, Dally may be their only hope because Dally possesses a unique magic that may be the only way to protect the realm.
I have enjoyed this series since the first novel, however, this third installment threw me for a whirl.
Hyam is originally from Honor, the same small town that Dally lives in. Returning to Honor, therefore, was not a very big surprise. Dally is a very unique and intriguing character, even with all of the other characters in this novel. Unlike many of the other characters in this novel, Dally is an enigma, possessing a power unlike any other and with no idea as to where it came from.
I was surprised to find that Hyam was a minor character in this installment while in the other two novels he was a main character. Not only was he a minor character, but he was hardly in the novel at all. Other characters that have held an important role in the previous novels were minor characters now.
The plot line was very interesting, following the sudden adventures of the young Dally and those trying to save the realm. I found the plot line to be scintillating, however, it was almost as though a whole novel was missing between “The Merchant of Alyss” and this novel.
I hope that this is not the final installment in this riveting series because I have many unanswered questions.
I would give this novel three and a half out of five stars and would recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the first two novels.
I won my copy of this novel from LibraryThing.com and have been granted permission from the publishers at Revell to use an image of the cover artwork above.
stephanietiner.weebly.com
  Stephergiggles | Mar 29, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a good book. I requested without realizing that it was the third book in a series. Though I thought this would deter me, I actually really enjoyed this and it made me want to go out and buy books one and two just so that I had better context to continue. A really solid effort! ( )
  JessysBookAdventure | Mar 27, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In two simple words, good book. I had a hard time trying to get into the book, but by halfway, I was hooked. I felt like it was hard to get into because the characters were a bit flat. They could have had more volume to their being, especially the main character. I'm still a little confused as to the plot of this book, but overall, was a decent read. ( )
  BlitzCat9502 | Jan 23, 2018 |

Vulnerable and weakened by grief after a terrible loss, Hyam has been struck by a mysterious illness that threatens to claim his life. Seeking to help Hyam and restore the realm, Queen Shona travels to Hyam's remote hometown to find answers and offer aid.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Thomas Locke's book The Golden Vial is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,268,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible