Pelican Point: A Hope Harbor Novel by Irene…

Pelican Point: A Hope Harbor Novel (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Irene Hannon (Author)

Member:CafinatedReads
Title:Pelican Point: A Hope Harbor Novel
Authors:Irene Hannon (Author)
Info:Revell (2018), 368 pages
Collections:2018 Reads, Christian Fiction
Rating:*****

Pelican Point by Irene Hannon (2018)

I've only recently discovered this author. I'm not sure where I heard about this book--I didn't realize until I came here on Goodreads that it was book 4 in the series. I was not lost by jumping into the series at this book, so that is a good thing.

The beginning of the book felt very familiar to me. This could mean that I read a preview of the book at some point, or it could mean that there is another book out there that I've read where someone inherits a lighthouse--even though I don't remember a title.

Hope Harbor seems like a nice little town. It's got it's small town problems (everyone knowing everyone else's business) but the residents do seem to care for each other for the most part.

Loving each other in good and bad times and being committed to the one you love seem to be a common theme that weaves throughout the book.

Interesting that both Marci and Ben would have a similar issue in their past dating lives.

I thought the relationship between Rachel and Greg showcased some of the challenges that can occur in a marriage and ways to overcome them. Greg's emotions about being an amputee who now cannot get the job he's wanted for years seem realistic. Tough love is sometimes necessary. I'm glad it worked out in this case. I'm glad Marci was able to recognize his talent and redirect it to give him a new purpose.

Charley seems like an interesting character and it seems he has a past that is only hinted at so far.

The plot idea of the two main characters being attracted to each other but not wanting to get involved with each other is a bit overused in the genre. I wish the author could have made it more fresh rather than going with a tried and true plot point. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jun 14, 2018 |
Ms. Hannon has done it again! She has brought her long time fans (and I’m sure, some new fans!) another hit. Pelican Point brings us back to Hope Harbor, once again, and keeps us hanging on every page turn. I stayed up long into the night trying to finish this one and when I closed the last page…..well, let’s just say I didn’t want it to end.

I loved the way Ms. Hannon created Ben and Marci. They were real-to-life and really jumped off the pages. Watching them come together, determining what should be done with Pelican Point, was not just interesting, it was fun. They butt heads on occasion, but then Hannon weaves in the power that God has and the head butting quickly turns to blossoming attraction making me wish that I was there beside them, cheering them on in real life.

Ms. Hannon not only gives us a great performance with Ben and Marci in this story, she brings back some lovable characters from the first three novels and really rounds out the story. The messages of hope that she winds into the words of the story really pop to me. I loved every second of this story! For 2018, this has become one of my favorite novels and I can’t wait to read more 5 star worthy reads from her fantabulously, incredibly talented hands. Well done, Ms. Hannon! Well done!

*I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher and was under no obligation to post a review, positive or negative.* ( )
  CafinatedReads | May 15, 2018 |
This series just gets better and better for me. I love the main characters and then when you add in Charlie and the seagulls it just makes me fall in love with the story. This one has a bit of intrigue and lots of romance. A great combination. I received a copy of this book from Revell for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will. ( )
  Virginia51 | May 14, 2018 |
Welcome back to Hope Harbor, Oregon where the people come together to support their community almost as fast as the gossip mill works.

Ben Garrison has returned to find he has inherited a dilapidated lighthouse from his grandfather. Memories of his time in Hope Harbor are some of his favorites, but he has a job waiting for him in Ohio. His goals for his time in Hope Harbor: clean out his grandfather’s home and unload the lighthouse.

Newspaper owner/editor/reporter Marci Weber loves the Pelican Point lighthouse and doesn’t want to see it torn down by a developer. Her fiery temper and tendency to speak her mind without thinking tend to get her in trouble.

After a bit of a rocky start, both Ben and Marci admit their attraction quickly. Yet both are leery about pursuing that after some bad experiences in the romance department.

While this book is mostly about Ben and Marci, I thoroughly enjoyed the scenes with Rachel and Greg, a young, newly married couple who are struggling. Marci and Ben take these two under their wings in quiet and unassuming ways that encourage them.

Readers of the previous Hope Harbor books will enjoy the cameos, and of course, Charlie and his seagulls play a big part in this one. Another winning romance from the author that made me long to visit the beach.

Disclosure statement:
I receive complimentary books from publishers, publicists, and/or authors, including NetGalley. I am not required to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. ( )
  Suzie27 | Apr 30, 2018 |
This was my first book by Irene Hannon. I didn't know what to expect but the cover was intriguing. It is the story of Army Doctor Ben Garrison whose grandfather passed away and left Ben an inheritance. While back in Pelican Point to handle his grandfather's estate, Ben meets Marci Weber, editor of the town newspaper. Will Ben & Marci's individual pasts come back to haunt them or will they let go and be healed from them? What will happen with Ben's newly inherited lighthouse?

I gave this book 4 stars. This is a really interesting concept for a book. The setting and characters were great. Very lifelike and well developed. The author has a great attention to detail and can describe things in such a moving way. I could picture the setting and characters. I could relate to them as well. Loved the inclusion and focus on the lighthouse. I wish there was more action though. The book had a sweet storyline but it was just kind of common everyday stuff. I wished the conflict was brought in a little earlier. I felt like that aspect of the book could have used more development. I felt like the conflict was a thrown in after thought. The characters had such great backstories that I felt could have been expounded upon. It would have made for a more action packed page turner kind of story. Greg and Rachel’s part of the story was excellent. Love the themes of redemption, reconciliation, love, forgiveness and trust. Overall the story is clean and moves well just wished there would have been a little more action to push it from 4 stars to 5.
I received a copy of this book from Revell in exchange for my honest review.

For more information about the book and author visit Ms. Hannon's website at http://www.irenehannon.com

or visit her facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Irene-Hannon-426433004084567 ( )
  kkireinaa | Apr 27, 2018 |
In loving memory of my wonderful mother, Dorothy Hannon, who had a deep affection for lighthouses.
Although you've been gone more than a year, the light of your love continues to shine in my heart, guiding and blessing my days.
As it always will . . . until we meet again.
He'd inherited a lighthouse?

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Irene Hannon's book Pelican Point is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,341,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible