Gone-Away Lake by Elizabeth Enright

Gone-Away Lake (1957)

by Elizabeth Enright

Other authors: Beth Krush (Illustrator), Joe Krush (Illustrator)

Series: Gone-Away Lake (Book 1)

1,065None7,838 (4.13)25
Recently added bymkbird, Sarahthe1001, fumcod, BrianKeefer, private library, biblio99, USF_SI

Originally written in the 50's, a 13 year old girl and her younger brother go to visit their cousin in the country for the summer. She and her cousin (14 yrs) discover a dried-up lake turned into a swamp while exploring the woods behind his new house. The also find old falling down houses from the turn of the century, including an elderly brother and sister who still inhabit the houses.
This story was hard for me to get through, although it is not very long. I think it would appeal to some kids' sense of adventure and discovery, but the language and the dialog is very outdated. The characters are well-written and the descriptions are fine, also there are a few illustrations per chapter. The chapters are not short either. As far as award winners go, I would skip this one in the future.
  jessiejluna | Feb 15, 2014 |
Sweet, with rich and particular details. No surprises, but that's okay. ( )
  MelissaZD | Jan 1, 2014 |
An enjoyable book by the author of the Melendy (Saturdays) series. Two children explore a former lake (now swamp) and the remains of the once-fashionable summer houses on its banks, notably the Vila Caprice. ( )
  antiquary | Sep 28, 2013 |
A book I loved as a child, which I have never seen since unfortunately. My efforts to find a copy secondhand and have come to nothing and I fear i will never see it again. Rating it solely on memory, a terriffic book about childhood adventure, warm and and endearing. ( )
  drmaf | Aug 26, 2013 |
Revisited this all-time favorite on audio during a road trip. I was stunned to learn that even though I reread it often, and I've read it countless times to my son, my husband had never heard of it. He loved it- to no one's surprise. What's not to love? It's hilarious, it's poignant, it's got howling wildernesses, outer space and inner pie. It's got The Gulper. So well-written, so evocative.

satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |

Elizabeth Enrightprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Krush, BethIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Krush, JoeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Oliver
When Portia Blake and her brother Foster set out for Creston that summer, it was different from all the other summers.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152022724, Paperback)

Summer has a magic all its own in Elizabeth Enright's beloved stories about two children and their discovery of a ghostly lakeside resort. These two modern classics are once again available in Odyssey/Harcourt Young Classic editions, but now with handsome new cover art by Mary GrandPré to complement Beth and Joe Krush's original interior illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:53 -0400)

Portia and her cousin Julian discover adventure in a hidden colony of forgotten summer houses on the shores of a swampy lake.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,406,742 books! | Top bar: Always visible