Sick Puppy by Carl Hiassen

Sick Puppy (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Carl Hiassen

Series: Skink (4)

Member:StewartAJ
Title:Sick Puppy
Authors:Carl Hiassen
Info:Alfred A. Knopf (2000), Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:*****

Sick Puppy by Carl Hiaasen (1999)

English (44)  German (1)  All languages (45)
"Sick Puppy" is the 2nd Carl Hiaasen book I've read. The 1st was "Double Whammy," a long book that is long on entertainment. I'm happy to say that "Sick Puppy" delivers the same. Whether or not you're a crime-book reader, I guarantee that "Sick Puppy" will snag you. ( )
  phillipfrey | Sep 13, 2014 |
The return of Skink ...yay!!! Not a strong role, but more than a cameo. Several excellent characters and a typical nutty plot. You can't help but think that the protagonist is a projection of what Hiaasen wishes he could be ... an environmental outlaw ... but he settles for pistol-whipping environmental scofflaws with his words. A fun read. ( )
  AliceAnna | Aug 31, 2014 |
Hiaasen's usual, very funny ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
3.75 stars

There are some lobbyists and politicians working towards building a bridge to a small island in Florida: Toad Island. They want to develop the island after the bridge is finished. Twilly is an eco-terrorist. He gets very angry when he sees people do thinks like littering out their car windows. Twilly will follow them and come up with some way to “repay” them, hopefully so that they'll realize what they did wrong and correct it. Twilly follows Palmer Stoat one day for littering, and things escalate from there...

I love the environmental themes in Hiaasen's novels. I really liked Twilly, but then if I had the guts, I'd probably be pretty extreme, too! Hiaasen has such odd characters (more than just Twilly). I have no idea where he comes up with his ideas. He is very entertaining. As a bonus, this one also had a dog. However, some of the things that happen (I suspect some of these storylines are based on reality) make me sad. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jan 29, 2014 |
I have a weakness for Carl Hiaasen. Mostly it’s because of Skink. I love that guy. But it’s also because of his brief, but I believe intense, friendship with Warren Zevon. Every time I read a book I look for little glimpses and glimmers of Zevon’s mad genius. By now I’ve read most of the books so I know how it will go. In Florida, two people are thrown together and fall in love or connect because of the evil, underhanded and decidedly un-environmentally sound practices of some corrupt politicians/businessmen. Some pristine parcel of property will be threatened with an insipid golf resort or other mindlessly pointless attraction for the rich and idiotic. There will be mild violence, sex and language. Twisted henchmen pursue, threaten and assault the pair in the name of their handlers, the eco-criminals/politicians. There will be quirky hangups and/or handicaps on the parts of the heros and the villains - in short, freaks abound (remember Chemo?! Yeah, that’s about the size of it.) There will be weird coincidences and comeuppances. People will die in fiendishly appropriate ways. If we’re lucky, Skink will be our fist of justice and maybe he’ll find a new glass eye and some tasty roadkill. All with an excellent rock and roll soundtrack.

These are my fall-back, feel-good books that are funny and surprise me in subtle ways. I like the language and what Hiaasen continues to try to do - to show how corrupt and insane the people who govern Florida are. How they’ve destroyed a unique ecosystem and how the state is filled with the lowest of the low. But he manages to avoid being completely bleak and, like Skink, he can’t seem to leave, no matter how bad it gets. ( )
  Bookmarque | Nov 15, 2013 |

Carl Hiaasenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McDonald, RossCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Fenia
On the morning of April 24, an hour past dawn, a man named Palmer Stoat shot a rare African black rhinoceros.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446695688, Paperback)

Carl Hiaasen's characters ride and flail on little verbal hurricanes, and his literary storm shows no signs of dying down. Sick Puppy shares Dave Barry's giddy gift for finding humor in South Florida horrors, and a bit of Elmore Leonard's genius for pitch-perfect dialogue spouted smartly by criminals who are dumb as stumps. The title of Hiaasen's eighth novel could apply to most of its characters, but it chiefly refers to an ebullient Labrador retriever named Boodle and the millionaire eco-terrorist Twilly Spree. Let's just say that Twilly has a singular affliction: poor anger management in the face of environmental irresponsibility. When he spots Boodle's owner, Palmer Stoat, tossing litter from a car, Twilly goes to Stoat's home and removes the glass eyeballs from the animals that the bloated lobbyist had shot and mounted on his walls. Boodle gulps down the eyeballs, sustaining no small amount of digestive difficulties.

Soon Boodle and Stoat's wife, Desie, are fugitives from Florida's nature despoilers (who include the Governor, a "gladhanding maggot," the amusingly slimy Stoat, the human bulldozer Krimmler, the cocaine-importer-turned-developer Clapley, and the hit man Mr. Gash, who's fond of sex with multiple beach bimbos in iguana-skin sex harnesses to the tunes of The World's Most Blood Curdling Emergency Calls). Desie, who has a knack for calamitous romance, is smitten with Twilly, but urges him not to kill any litterbugs or pelican molesters: "Jail would not be good for this relationship." What keeps pure farce at bay in a novel that romps with the abandon of a scent-crazed Labrador is the otherwise charming Twilly's creepy edge of implacable fanaticism. And what redeems the funny/ugly violence from cliché is its colorful bad guys (they're as iridescent as oil slicks), Hiaasen's excellent wit, and the music of his prose. To evoke a drunk asleep on the beach, he adds a pungent detail: "a gleaming stellate dollop of seagull shit decorated his forehead."

Hiaasen is not unflawed. His original eco-terrorist character, ex-Florida governor Clinton "Skink" Tyree, seems like an interloper from the earlier books. But Hiaasen's the master of madcap ensembles (which is partly why the star-vehicle film of his fine book Strip Tease flopped). And even when you can see a chase scene's denouement coming for a beachfront mile, each paragraph packs descriptive delights to keep you going at breakneck pace. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:23 -0400)

Eco-terrorists, evil politicians, a millionaire obsessed with Barbie, and an ex-governor named Skink are just a few of the characters who populate this comic novel of politics as unusual in Florida.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,357,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible