Resurrectionist by James McGee

Resurrectionist (original 2007; edition 2007)

by James McGee

Member:wyvernfriend
Title:Resurrectionist
Authors:James McGee
Info:Harper (2007), Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:fiction, tbr

Resurrectionist by James McGee (2007)

English (6)  German (1)  All languages (7)
I haven't read any of the books in this series but felt reading this book which is number two it really didn't make much difference. Matthew Hawkwood is a Bow Street runner, ex army, very dashing, a Victorian Jack Reacher maybe.

In this outing hes out to solve murders that are somehow connected to the grave robbers. The book is very gory at times and I did squirm. Loved the descriptions and did feel like I was there in Bedlam myself.

I couldn't make my mind up if I was enjoying this book or not. I felt it was a slog at times and there wasn't a lot going on. When I feel like this I tend to see what other reviewers thought, and to see if its worth me continuing. I did read one lovely review with a mild spoiler, with warning and it did sort of tell me the why and why nots. I have to say from this point I have skipped to finish the book.

I'm not sure if I would seek out anymore books in this series. Loved the setting and time of place, liked the story line and Hawkwood himself, just got bored with the book. ( )
  tina1969 | May 25, 2016 |
Let's face it, if you read a book about bodysnatching, you have to expect a lot of 'yuck' factor. But I never felt that the gruesome details were being told just to be gruesome. This is just the way it was. I enjoyed this. Not everything that happened, but the way it was told. ( )
  MarthaJeanne | Jan 24, 2016 |
I expected to enjoy this book far more than I did but that was because I had the wrong writer. This is the first McGee I have read and from an historical point of view it was very interesting indeed, with descriptions of Bedlam, the London slums and sewers and the state of medicine in the early Nineteenth Century.

Hawkwood, an ex army man, is a formidable character and called to investigate a murder in the notorious London Asylum: from there he is summoned to a church yard where a corpse is gruesomely displayed. Nothing seems to link the two at first but of course, fiction being less random than real life, its all part of the same plot, planned by an evil genius and executed by his no less evil henchmen, and women.

Body snatching, amazingly, was not a crime initially, as long as the corpse was stripped of all clothes - even the shroud - or jewellery, since taking those was 'theft'. Bodies were usually taken for medical schools, and good teeth were prized by dentists for dentures. But there's a new buyer in London who is not satisfied with even the most freshly disinterred corpse: for his purposes, he needs them alive.

Matthew Hawkwood soon realises his adversary is a [supposedly] dead man, and one who has some very powerful allies at that. In the end - SPOILER ALERT - the mad scheme to revive his long dead daughter using the fresh blood and organs of other girls is foiled and, despite making some enemies, Hawkwood emerges victorious.

Not an easy or enjoyable read but a very interesting one. ( )
  adpaton | Oct 16, 2014 |
Potential to be good tale, but totally spoiled by over the top violence, horror and blatant sexual abuse. Sensationalism for its own sake adds nothing to the story. I am too old to be shocked, but really do not need this. ( )
  richardgarside | Nov 21, 2011 |
I gave the first book in this series, Ratcatcher, a five star rating and still believe it deserves it. However, i can not say the same for this second installment. Wow, the only word I can use is "gross". One other reviewer stated that this book was not for the prudish or squeamish, which I dont' believe I am, but this was simply over the top and beyond squeamish. I do believe it comes close to being thrown into the HORROR genre, or at the least a serial killer murder mystery. Where did the fun, action adventure story go that we encountered in the first book? I won't say I didnt like it, but I certainly didnt love it as I did Ratcatcher. Serious editing was also very much in need. The book goes on and on, and there are a lot of filler pages describing way too much detail on the topics of early surgical procedures and how anatomists plied their trade in body snatching. A few pages dedicated to these topics would have been sufficient for us to get the drift and history behind it all, and much less graphic GROSS detail in both areas would have been easier to handle. I was definitely disappointed in the lack of action and adventure scenes because I felt it was a key ingredient to the success of book one. Ratcatcher was fast paced and I couldnt put it down. Resurrectionist, drags on and not much really happens that I consider exciting. I'll be honest, I couldnt wait for it to end. It was too much. But, I love the character the author has created, Matthew Hawkwood is very likeable, and I really hope that in book three McGee takes more time developing his character in depth. I am anxious for Raspcallion to be released, this downfall was not enough for me to be put off on the series at all, but I have to make readers aware, it is not the caliber or type of story as the first and it really isnt a book for anyone weak-kneed. I think the trouble with this book was that it wasnt scary per se, because you always knew what was going on, the problem was that the scenes were downright too disgusting. If the author is reading this..my recommendation is to put back the action and fun and take out the macabre. I felt I was reading Poe ( )
1 vote vernefan | Dec 8, 2009 |
Als der Wärter Mordecai Leech das unheimliche Heulen hörte, war sein erster Gedanke, dass es der Wind sein müsse, der durchs Dachgebälk pfiff.

For the body snatchers, death is a lucrative business. But it's the corpse they leave behind, horribly mutilated and nailed to a tree, which sets Bow Street Runner Matthew Hawkwood on their trail.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,776,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible