Resurrectionist by James McGee

Resurrectionist (original 2007; edition 2007)

by James McGee

Member:wyvernfriend
Title:Resurrectionist
Authors:James McGee
Info:Harper (2007), Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:fiction, tbr

Resurrectionist by James McGee (2007)

English (3)  German (1)  All languages (4)
Potential to be good tale, but totally spoiled by over the top violence, horror and blatant sexual abuse. Sensationalism for its own sake adds nothing to the story. I am too old to be shocked, but really do not need this. ( )
  richardgarside | Nov 21, 2011 |
I gave the first book in this series, Ratcatcher, a five star rating and still believe it deserves it. However, i can not say the same for this second installment. Wow, the only word I can use is "gross". One other reviewer stated that this book was not for the prudish or squeamish, which I dont' believe I am, but this was simply over the top and beyond squeamish. I do believe it comes close to being thrown into the HORROR genre, or at the least a serial killer murder mystery. Where did the fun, action adventure story go that we encountered in the first book? I won't say I didnt like it, but I certainly didnt love it as I did Ratcatcher. Serious editing was also very much in need. The book goes on and on, and there are a lot of filler pages describing way too much detail on the topics of early surgical procedures and how anatomists plied their trade in body snatching. A few pages dedicated to these topics would have been sufficient for us to get the drift and history behind it all, and much less graphic GROSS detail in both areas would have been easier to handle. I was definitely disappointed in the lack of action and adventure scenes because I felt it was a key ingredient to the success of book one. Ratcatcher was fast paced and I couldnt put it down. Resurrectionist, drags on and not much really happens that I consider exciting. I'll be honest, I couldnt wait for it to end. It was too much. But, I love the character the author has created, Matthew Hawkwood is very likeable, and I really hope that in book three McGee takes more time developing his character in depth. I am anxious for Raspcallion to be released, this downfall was not enough for me to be put off on the series at all, but I have to make readers aware, it is not the caliber or type of story as the first and it really isnt a book for anyone weak-kneed. I think the trouble with this book was that it wasnt scary per se, because you always knew what was going on, the problem was that the scenes were downright too disgusting. If the author is reading this..my recommendation is to put back the action and fun and take out the macabre. I felt I was reading Poe ( )
1 vote vernefan | Dec 8, 2009 |
This was good, great plot, characters and development. An easy enjoyable read that has twists and surprises up to the end.
  trinibaby9 | Nov 24, 2009 |
Als der Wärter Mordecai Leech das unheimliche Heulen hörte, war sein erster Gedanke, dass es der Wind sein müsse, der durchs Dachgebälk pfiff.

For the body snatchers, death is a lucrative business. But it's the corpse they leave behind, horribly mutilated and nailed to a tree, which sets Bow Street Runner Matthew Hawkwood on their trail.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,476,258 books! | Top bar: Always visible