The Liars' Asylum by Jacob M. Appel

The Liars' Asylum

by Jacob M. Appel

I received this book for free from the author in exchange for an honest review.

This is the fifth collection of short stories that I have read from this author and I have loved all of them. It’s no surprise that I loved this one too.

The first two or three stories were good but didn’t wow me, but the rest of them did. The stories just kept getting better and better.

My personal favorites were “Prisoners of the Multiverse,” “Picklocks in Oblivion,” “The Summer of Interrogatory Subversion,” and “When Love Was an Angel’s Kidney.”

In case you’re not familiar with Jacob M. Appel’s work, he writes the most unique short stories and novels you’ll ever read. He has numerous graduate degrees including a JD, an MD, an MFA in creative writing, an MPhil, and an MS in bioethics so that’s probably why. A lot of his stories pull from those backgrounds. He’s an incredibly talented writer and it shows throughout all his work, especially his short stories.

Overall, if you haven’t read any of Jacob’s work, you definitely should consider reading this collection (or any of his other collections). You won’t be disappointed. ( )
  jessicadelellis | Jun 18, 2018 |
Jacob Appel is a brilliant storyteller. His forays into the curious and fascinating world of the human psyche are told with humour as well as compassion. He cares so much about his characters that he is able to put across to the reader their fundamental humanity; so that rather than judge, we feel a sense of connection between them and us.
These eight imaginatively crafted and totally unpredictable short stories give us an insight into the minds of some quirky -yet relatable - characters. The author displays a fascination with, but also a deep understanding of human consciousness. His stories are funny, witty, sometimes absurd, yet at the same time skillfully infused with just the right hint of pathos. Did I mention they are also very addictive? There is not a weak one in the bundle. Highly recommendable. ( )
  miekeiveson | Apr 6, 2018 |
Short story collections are my favorite genre, mostly because it gives you a chance to sample the writer's range of storytelling. These stories are excellent because of Jacob Appel's wit, not because the situations or characters are all that compelling. It leaves wishing he would write about his personal life and his experience working in medicine. I am sure there are some interesting stories he could tell that are more personal. ( )
  kerryp | Mar 6, 2018 |
I've read a few of Jacob M. Appel's books , and this one was one of the best.I enjoyed all of the stories,(some more than others) ,and as always very well written with attention to detail .I really enjoy the medical/scientific parts of the stories as well. One little thing i found somewhat irritating,was that there were some missing words here and there. ( )
  jenny_acc | Feb 26, 2018 |
I received this book free in return for an honest review.

I found this collection of short stories captivating and easy to read. Each story battles form of unrequited love through various perspectives. I don’t want to give away the details as to not give away the plot. I highly recommend this read. ( )
  dinasivro | Feb 16, 2018 |
Very interesting read. I enjoyed it.
added by BookxGirl | editGoodreads.com, Kelly (Oct 7, 2017)

SHORT STORY COLLECTION: SHORT STORIES: The frustrations of romantic love in its various guises—a domineering kindergarten teacher for a dashing artificial foliage designer, a suicidal physicist for his star student, a dialysis patient at a sleep-away camp for the camp owner’s daughter—provide the common theme for the stories in Jacob M. Appel’s seventh collection. We meet a psychiatrist dabbling with infidelity during a crisis in which rain turns into truth serum, a Finnish-American soldier charged with facilitating his commanding officer’s extra-marital affair, and a couple transporting a wealthy, “locked-in” patient across the Piedmont to his new nursing home. Appel’s literary short fiction offers a quirky window into the pangs and promise of love.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Jacob M. Appel's book The Liars' Asylum is currently available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Jacob M. Appel is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,807,658 books! | Top bar: Always visible