The Murder at Hazelmoor by Agatha Christie

The Murder at Hazelmoor (original 1931; edition 1987)

by Agatha Christie

Member:LittleTaiko
Title:The Murder at Hazelmoor
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Berkley (1987), Paperback, 240 pages
Tags:Mystery, 2013

The Sittaford Mystery by Agatha Christie (1931)

English (30)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (34)
I was a bit taken in by the book summary I read. I was expecting some wintery race against time type of story. Considering I have watched almost every Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple movie adaptation of Christie's books, you think I would have realized that this would be more of the murder confirmed at the start, with a more relaxed pace while the investigation of the "who", "why" and "how" of the crime are the main plot focus. My only defense is that this is my very first Agatha Christie 'read'. Overall, I enjoyed this one. Christie's writing has a lovely "settle in with a cup a tea" lightness to it, even if the topic is murder. The private citizen sleuth in this particular story, the overly capable Emily, was a nice change of pace but not a very convincing sleuth IMO. The mystery was okay but not any sort of head scratcher.

Overall, a nice cozy crime read but a bit of a letdown for me. I was expecting something a little more robust in the plot and character development department. I think I will stick to watching movie adaptations of Agatha Christie's works and continue reading Margery Allingham when I am in the mood for a Golden Age detective fiction. ( )
  lkernagh | Feb 21, 2016 |
The Sittaford Mystery by Agatha Christie - Good

Ah, needed some comfort reading and AC never fails me. This one is a standalone ie not Miss Marple or Poirot (although the TV turned it into a Miss Marple).

Usual stuff, someone is murdered and there are a number of people who could have done it and one that is arrested for it. His girlfriend doesn't believe he did it & sets about finding out who really did.

One or too ouch moments with the non-pc language of the time, but still one of the better Agatha Christies - mainly because the TV version was so different as to not spoil it.

Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |
Also published as "Murder at Hazelmoor"

A rich recluse, Sir Trevayne, rents his remote mansion out to a woman & her daughter, while he takes a manor in town. He is in the habit of dining w/ his friend on Tuesdays & Thursdays, but due to the snow, dinner has been cancelled and his friend goes up to Hazelmoor for the evening instead.

After dinner a seance is held and the "spirit" taps out that Trevayne is Dead, Murdered! It is found that Trevayne's estranged nephew has been to visit him, prior to his being found dead & is arrested for the crime. The nephew's fiancee, Emily Trefusis, believe him innocent and sets out to prove it.

From Amazon: "Agatha Christie: Inspector Narracott. Murder at Hazelmoor has the British title: The Sittaford Mystery. From inside the front cover: Race Against Death. Inspector Narracott was the perfect model of a professional police inspector - calm, methodical, doing everything by the book.

Beautiful Young Emily Trefusis was his perfect opposite - impulsive, intuitive, irreverent toward all rules and regulations. Together, they entered into a competition to solve a baffling case of a man who had died at the very moment his murder was being forecast at a seance miles away.

And it was not long before even the Inspector had to admit Emily was as effective a sleuth as he could ever hope to be ... ... unless of course, she was a murderess, leading him on a merry chase..."

I didn't like Emily (she was annoying & a user/manipulator of people) and I didn't like the detective..... The story had a good premise, but unlikable characters.

Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
A message comes through at a seance that someone a two hour journey away has died. The deceased's best friend goes to check and finds his murdered body. The doctor's estimate of the time of death was while the seance was taking place. Emily Trefussis's fiance, the murdered man's nephew, is accused of the murder, and she decides to clear his name.

I have my doubts about whether the solution to this one is actually possible, but it was all good fun. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Apr 14, 2015 |
An enjoyable Agatha Christie whodunit. ( )
  cazfrancis | Apr 10, 2015 |
To M.E.M
with whom I discussed the plot of this book,
to the alarm of those around us.
Major Burnaby drew on his gum boots, buttoned his overcoat collar round his neck, took from a shelf near the door a hurricane lantern, and cautiously opened the front door of his little bungalow and peered out.
It's so wonderful to have someone you can really rely on.
aka Murder at Hazelmoor

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312979819, Mass Market Paperback)

M-U-R-D-E-R. It began as an innocent parlor game intended to while away the hours on a bitter winter night. But the message that appeared before the amateur occultists snowbound at the Sittaford House was spelled out as loud and clear as a scream. Of course, the notion that they had foretold doom was pure bunk. Wasn't it? And the discovery of a corpse was pure coincidence. Wasn't it? If they're to discover the answer to this baffling murder, perhaps they should play again. But a journey into the spirit world could prove terribly dangerous--especially when the killer is lurking in this one.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:19 -0400)

In a remote house in the middle of Dartmoor, six shadowy figures huddle around a small round table for a seance. Tension rises as the spirits spell out a chilling message: 'Captain Trevelyan. dead. murder'. Is this black magic or simply a macabre joke? The only way to be certain is to locate Captain Trevelyan. Unfortunately, his home is six miles away and, with snow drifts blocking the roads, someone will have to make the journey on foot.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,834,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible