The China Bride by Mary Jo Putney

The China Bride

by Mary Jo Putney

Series: The Bride Trilogy [Putney] (2)

2013 reading: Shocking as it may seem, I like this book for a lot of reasons, but the most important one is the accessible nature of the spirituality as it is described in the book. I like the characters and I like it, especially, that they act like real people (we don't always say what we are really thinking and assume we know what the other wants) and evolve. ( )
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |
ereader ebook,headless woman cover
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
This is the second in the "Bride" trilogy by Mary Jo Putney. This books picks up 6 years after Kyle's twin brother Dominic married. It was nice to catch up to the happy couple and I'm glad the author gave us an update.
Kyle lost the one true love of his life six years ago. He remains disinterested in the duties of Viscount and has traveled extensively. He and his business partner have arrived in China. Here, Kyle meets Troth. A beautiful young woman that is a clever spy for her "guardian". Troth is half Scottish and half Chinese, so she is knows both languages. Kyle and Troth form a bond, more like a friendship, but can't deny the physical attraction they feel for one another. However, Kyle refuses to open himself up to the possibility that he could REALLY, REALLY, love another woman. So, instead of proclaimations of love and passion, the two become more like "friends with benefits". But, when Kyle is captured and arrested for being a spy, he and Troth quickly marry, in what was probably not a legal ceremony. Kyle was about to be executed and the marriage would give Troth what she needed to be well provided for. The only request Kyle made of her was that she personally inform his family of his death.
Once Troth arrives in England, she is accepted without qualms by Kyle's brother and extended family. But, then Kyle seemingly returns from the grave.
The first half of the book focuses on the customs, traditions, laws, and religions of China. Also, the slow development of Kyle and Troth's friendship. In the background is the opium trade with was a major trade commodity at that time.
While all of that was indeed interesting, I thought it went on for a bit too long. Actually, the book could have been trimmed down about 40 or 50 pages.
The second half of the book deals with the sticky situation of Kyle's marriage to Troth. Kyle still believes the fair thing to do would be to release Troth from the vows. Troth is in love with Kyle and wants him to return those feelings. But, when she overhears a dispute between Kyle and his father, and Kyle offers her a way out of the marriage without scandal, she feels like she has no other choice but to go along.
I felt sorry for Troth. She had been confident in her role while living in China. England and it's rules and conventions were not how she had imagined things would be. Her mixed race causes trouble for her when Kyle's father doesn't approve of the marriage and doesn't want the bloodlines mixed. To cap that off, she is in love with a man that feels only an obligation to her. She wants to fit it somewhere and feel she belongs.
She gives up on Kyle after a while and seeks to find her father's family in Scotland. Now, this is where things really picked up. This was my favorite part of the book and I wish we could have spent more time exploring this angle.
I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first one. It was still a nice story and I was very happy that Kyle finally got his HEA. ( )
  gpangel | Nov 28, 2012 |
NO OF PAGES: 0 SUB CAT I: History SUB CAT II: Israel SUB CAT III: Jewish Heritage DESCRIPTION: Become conversant with the fantastic story of the Jewish people over the ages. Buy Rabbi Berel Wein's "Crash Course in Jewish History" and become knowledgeable in this great story of civilization. The Jewish story is almost 4000 years old. It extends from Abraham leaving Mesopotamia until the return of the Jewish people in our time to the Land of Israel. Rabbi Berel Wein's series of five lectures gives a sense of history to the Jewish story and to the events of all human civilization. The story of Biblical Israel, the Babylonian Exile, the Second Temple, the long exile of the Jewish people, the Crusades, the Spanish expulsion, the Renaissance and Reformation, the Enlightenment and Modernism, Zionism, the emigration to North America and the Land of Israel, the Holocaust and the creation of the State of Israel - all are covered in this informative and educational five-hour series. PDF file includes: * transcriptions of Rabbi Wein's audio lectures * outlines that break down Jewish history point by point * informative maps from every phase in Jewish history - from the Biblical Age to modern times * moving photographs that tell our whole story * a timeline of significant Jewish events * Rabbi Wein's recommended reading list * biographical summaries of all figures mentioned in the lectures * embedded links for further information on a wide variety of topics * a glossary of all non-English termsNOTES: SUBTITLE: 5000 Years in 5 Hours
  BeitHallel | Feb 18, 2011 |
Lady Wombat says:

As with Wild Child, another beautifully written book. This one has a much less preposterous premise, which made it more enjoyable to read. The details of life for Englishmen in China during the early part of the 19th century was fascinating. The novel's ending, though, echoed the ending of Wild Child far too much. Can't lovers get together without being threatened with death from a villain who hasn't been a part of the plot until only a handful of pages until the end??
1 vote Wombat | Jul 24, 2009 |

Mary Jo Putneyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Porter, DavinaReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gelder, Eny vansecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Luque, DeborahTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Plasait, CatherineTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449005895, Mass Market Paperback)

Born to a Scottish father and a Chinese mother, Troth Montgomery dreamed of someday traveling to Scotland, until the death of her father condemned her to a shadowy life as an interpreter in Canton. Then Kyle Renbourne, viscount and adventurer, discovers Troth's true identity and persuades her to be his guide on a dangerous journey into the heart of the Celestial Kingdom.

A meeting of the minds flares into searing passion, an idyll that ends when Kyle is captured and condemned to death. A reckless prison cell marriage the night before his execution sends Troth to England, where she arrives at the estate of Kyle's brother. Though accepted as bride and widow, she is haunted by the memory of her dashing husband. Then the past reaches out to Troth, bringing passion, despair, and danger. Now she must draw on her unique heritage to save all she holds dear--and become the woman she is destined to be. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:44 -0400)

The orphaned daughter of a Scottish father and Chinese concubine mother, Troth Montgomery supports herself working as a translator for Europeans in China, where she encounters Kyle Renbourne, Viscount of Maxwell.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,197,096 books! | Top bar: Always visible