Homemade Sin by Kathy Hogan Trocheck

Homemade Sin (1994)

by Kathy Hogan Trocheck

Book on CD read by Hillary Huber.

From the book jacket - Some people might call Callahan Garrity nosy, but she prefers to think of her tendency toward snooping as a healthy interest in the truth. So when news of her cousin’s murder reaches her, Callahan shakes off her House Mouse cleaning uniform to don her detective’s cap. It’s not that she doesn’t have confidence in the Atlanta police – she used to be among their ranks – it’s just that the crime seems too incongruous with Patti’s suburban life to be an accident.

My Reactions
This is a pretty good series. I like the premise of the House Mouse cleaning service for these cozy mysteries; their work provides them access to a wide variety of venues. Trochek gives the reader a nice cast of colorful supporting characters who work for the heroine. Callahan, herself, is a strong, intelligent, resourceful woman. Her background in the police force results in a certain toughness, though she does seem to take some unreasonable chances. Not to worry, though, she generally manages to get out of any scrapes on her own.

My main complaint with this work, however, was the rather abrupt ending, and then “neat” epilogue to wrap up all the loose ends. Just seemed rushed to me, as if Trochek couldn’t quite figure out how to end it.

Nevertheless, it’s a speedy read, the action is fast-paced, and I like the characters. I’ll read more of the series.

Hillary Huber does a fine job voicing the audio version of the book. She has good pacing, and I was never confused about who was speaking. ( )
  BookConcierge | Nov 26, 2016 |
Callahan Garrity is a house-cleaning business owner and part-time P.I. When her cousin is killed in a suspicious carjacking, Callhan is driven to investigate. Her mother and extended family thinks she should leave it to the police and they get mad at her when she doesn't. She pursues a vicious street gang member, an unfaithful husband and a flirtatious priest.

This was a mostly light and often humorous story. Callahan is feisty and bold with her housekeeping staff, her family and the suspects she investigates. I enjoyed it. ( )
  gaylebutz | Feb 1, 2016 |
I finished listening to this book while doing some knitting. I needed this light-hear-ted mystery to assist me in laughing out loud. There were many parts in this story that I could totally relate to. This story was slow to reveal who the killer was,but all the side details were worth reading. This author does a good job of making the reader think they have a ring-side seat to the action. I like this author when I am looking for a fun book. ( )
  BrendaKlaassen | Jun 8, 2015 |
I have read the others in the Callahan Garrity series and did not enjoy this one as much as the others. Will read the others in the series, since I do love this author. I purchased the audio version and it is good for some laughs as these southern gals are always getting into mischief. ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
First Line: "Nine-letter hint," I muttered, absent-mindedly winding a curl around my finger.

When her cousin Patti McNair is shot to death in her new car near the Garden Homes project in Atlanta, a horrible situation is made even worse by the fact that her young son is in the car with her. Callahan refuses to believe that Patti's death is a random robbery and senseless murder, and sets out to find her own suspects and conduct her own investigation. In fact, she's being so mule-headed about the whole thing that she puts her own life in danger.

I've enjoyed this series about a former Atlanta police officer who's now owner of the House Mouse cleaning service. Granted, Callahan's mother has always rubbed my fur the wrong way with her methods of getting her daughter to do as she wants, but I could overlook that. Unfortunately, in Homemade Sin there were a few too many things I couldn't overlook.

For one thing, I can't help but compare this series to Ann Purser's Lois Meade series centered on a woman running her own house cleaning agency in small town England. Purser's series wins, hands down. It's obvious that Callahan had a career previous to House Mouse, and by the way she's always haring off to do something else, her heart isn't in her current career. On the other hand, Lois keeps a tight rein on her business, takes care of her family and solves crimes.

Trocheck's series, set in Atlanta, also has a tendency to limit African American characters to the roles of domestics, gang bangers and project dwellers, which didn't set well with me.

But what really got up my nose is the behavior of Callahan herself. At the very beginning of the book, there really isn't any evidence to support Callahan's belief that Patti's murder was planned. I'm sorry, but Callahan's guilt over not talking to or visiting with her cousin as often as she should have in recent years just isn't evidence to me. Our intrepid heroine then proceeds to ride rough-shod over everyone else in the family to pursue her gut feeling. She has no respect for anyone else's feelings or wishes. Then she pouts when family members give her the Silent Cold Shoulder Treatment. Gah!

Yes, Callahan was proved right, but I'm still annoyed with her. Hmm... see why I have enjoyed this series? The characters can get to you! If you're in the mood for a cozy with a heroine whose heart is in the hunt and not the scrub bucket, give Kathy Hogan Trocheck's Callahan Garrity series a try. Not everyone is a curmudgeon like me! ( )
  cathyskye | Apr 5, 2010 |
Dedicated with love and gratitude to my spousal unit, Tom Trocheck
"Nine-Letter Hint," I muttered, absently-mindedly winding a curl around my finger.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061092568, Mass Market Paperback)

In her third outing, Callahan Garrity, Atlanta's wry, earthy cleaning lady cum sleuth, turns her own family - and a ruthless murderer - against her when she insists on investigating the carjacking death of her favorite cousin. Usually Callahan's nosy mother, Edna, who helps her run the House Mouse cleaning service, loves nothing better than kibbitzing her cases. But when Callahan's beloved cousin, Patti McNair, the prototypical suburban homemaker, is killed during a carjacking in an Atlanta ghetto, Edna and the rest of the family are incensed that Callahan insists on keeping the wounds open by probing for explanations of a death that seems as inexlicable as it is tragic. Callahan couldn't pick a less promising case to be stubborn about, either. The only lead comes from Patti's learning-disabled son, Dylan, who vaguely remembers his mother's attacker as a black man wearing a hat. With the help of the outrageous band of "girls" in her employ, Callahan learns that Patti and her husband, Bruce, a high-living lawyer, had anything but the idyllic home life that everyone, their relatives included, thought they did. Patti may have been getting more than just priestly counsel from her confidant, the charming Father Mart. Bruce is keeping secrets, too - shady new business associates and an affair that doesn't seem to be as far in the past as he insists it is. When Callahan has a chilling encounter with a trigger-happy gang leader, she realizes not only that she can find Patti's murderer but that she'd better do it fast, before she joins Patti in the family plot. While Callahan strives to solve the case and stay alive, we're treated to a splendidly evoked backdrop of the New South, whereantebellum and postmodern collide. As always, though, Callahan herself is center stage - homespun yet street-smart, equally adept among Atlanta's country club set and its stone-cold inner-city gangsters. Callahan's at her forthright, feisty best in Kathy Trocheck's most ambitious, trencha

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:56 -0400)

Inquisitive cleaning lady and amateur sleuth Callahan Garrity faces the opposition of her own family when she investigates the carjacking death of her cousin, Patti McNair, and uncovers a host of dark family secrets.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,562,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible