The Straight and Narrow Path by Honor Tracy

The Straight and Narrow Path (edition 1956)

by Honor Tracy (Author)

Member:laytonwoman3rd
Title:The Straight and Narrow Path
Authors:Honor Tracy (Author)
Info:Random House (1956), Edition: First Edition
Tags:fiction, Irish, humor

The Straight and Narrow Path by Honor Tracy

Thank you to rebeccanyc, who mentioned this as an old favorite which she rereads periodically for the pure fun of it. It is pure fun...pure Irish malarkey, in fact. When an English anthropologist takes a holiday in a small Irish village, to calm his nerves after a long stay in the Congo, he gets embroiled in a culture clash and a libel action arising out of what he deems an innocent observation about the nuns in the local convent, and how they celebrate Midsummer's Eve. Delightful.

Review written June 2016 ( )
  laytonwoman3rd | Sep 24, 2017 |
This is one of my all-time favorite books, and I reread it every few years when I feel the need for a comfort read. It is a very funny but nonetheless warm-hearted satire of human nature, as illustrated by the appearance of an English anthropologist turned unwilling journalist in an Irish village and the complications that ensue. Last year I broke down and bought another copy (used), since the paperback that belonged to my mother is falling apart; it is very sadly out of print. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
2 vote rebeccanyc | Apr 19, 2010 |
'What we have to do, my dear brethren, is stay on the straight and narrow path between right and wrong.' - Fragment of Irish sermon
To Neville Faulks
"But what on earth am I to write about?" asked Dr. Andrew Butler.
Patiently he waited, meanwhile resting the dish on Fruity’s head; and when at last the service was restored and the lights went up,
Miss Amanda Browne was one of the few landowners in the neighbourhood who still welcomed him, and in fact they were close friends. On the face of it, they were a curiously assorted pair. At seventy-three Miss Browne still rode to hounds, shot, fished and expressed her point of view with a wealth of manly expletive, and at no time had Lord Patrickstown done any of these things.
Miss Browne was not the woman to squander her imaginative powers, which she reserved for her historical works. Beyond a vague speculation as to whether Mr. Ferguson were a brawny Highland chief who might presently be used as a model, she made no attempt to visualize the man who for so long had promptly and courteously, if also a little primly, answered her letters.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,077,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible