M is for Magic by Neil Gaiman

M is for Magic

by Neil Gaiman

Other authors: Teddy Kristiansen (Illustrator)

Imaginative writing, supposedly for kids 8-12. The first two stories have inappropriate content for that age, some of it sexual. Otherwise, the remaining stories might intrigue that age range. Most of the stories have scary elements or might seem so to that age range. Kids generally like that. I didn't find much magic here, as the title suggests -- mostly the stories were either clever or imaginative and on the dark and confounding side. The author commands respect, but I can't say I liked this collection. Some stories were better than others. Maybe ask a 12-year-old for a different viewpoint. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
Older short stories that foreshadow his better works to come. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
A book of short stories by Gaiman. I listened to the audio read by Gaiman. Many of the stories (all?) were published in a previous collection, as well.

I should just copy and paste every single review I’ve done for a book of short stories! I liked some better than others. Especially with audio (as this was), though it goes for short stories – at least for me – in general, anyway… if I miss something, with a short story, you really end up missing the entire story because there really isn’t any way/time to catch up with what you missed, unless you want to back up and start it again (that’s where it’s a bit easier with a print or ebook over an audio). My favourite story was one that I’ve read before about a black cat. I do love that he often includes cats in his stories and this black cat was not unlucky for the humans. ( )
  LibraryCin | Dec 17, 2016 |
Several stories were excellent, but the collection is uneven in quality. ( )
  2wonderY | Oct 28, 2016 |
As always, I needed a nice book of short stories to get me through the work day — I love that I can sit down, read one on my lunch break, and then move on with the rest of my day. As I’ve said before, the problem I have with short stories is that I don’t always like all of them, and it’s disappointing to spend my lunch reading something I didn’t very much enjoy. Fortunately, with Gaiman, I rarely have that problem, so when I saw this available on OverDrive, I jumped at the chance to check it out.

This collection is incredibly cohesive — the themes and tones of the stories balance each other nicely. It’s a delightfully weird collection that consistently surprised me with its twists and turns. “Troll Bridge” talks about the process of growing up and becoming an adult, and how what we value can change over time. “The Witch’s Headstone” is a lovely companion to The Graveyard Book, which I’ve also read. It shows the bravery and goodness of a small child, and how sometimes children can see through biases and do the right thing. “How to Talk to Girls at Parties” shows how difficult talking to girls can be — and how otherworldly the other sex seems when you’re a teenager and trying to figure out the dating thing.

Those are just a few of my favorite stories. I enjoyed all of them as a whole and recommend this if you’re fan of fantasy and Neil Gaiman.

Originally posted on Going on to the Next. ( )
  sedelia | Apr 7, 2016 |

Neil Gaimanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kristiansen, TeddyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Writing imaginative tales for the young is like sending coals to Newcastle. For coals.
I sat in my office, nursing a glass of hooch and idly cleaning my automatic.

Master storyteller Neil Gaiman presents a breathtaking collection of tales for younger readers that may chill or amuse, but that always embrace the unexpected:

Humpty Dumpty's sister hires a private detective to investigate her brother's death. A teenage boy who has trouble talking to girls finds himself at a rather unusual party. A boy raised in a graveyard makes a discovery, and confronts the much more troubling world of the living.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:34 -0400)

Eleven stories that involve strange and fantastical events.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,887,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible