The Titian Committee by Iain Pears

The Titian Committee (original 1991; edition 2007)

by Iain Pears

Member:pgmcc
Title:The Titian Committee
Authors:Iain Pears
Info:HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (2007), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:**1/2
Tags:Unread, Literary, 2012Nov

The Titian Committee by Iain Pears (1991)

English (11)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (13)
Quite a fun read. Venice atmosphere is always enjoyable, art history information adds interest & lots of plot twists to keep the pages turning. ( )
  amaraki | Aug 1, 2016 |
In The Titian Committee, the junior, female member of a group of art historians is found murdered in a Venice botanical garden. Local police suspect that it’s a mugging gone wrong – but when Flavia makes an appearance on the scene, she suspects a more malicious intent. Soon, interviews with the surviving members of the committee reveal a web of personal rivalries, dislikes, and unethical doings. And when the surviving members become not-all-still-surviving, it becomes clear that at least one murderer is at work. Jonathan Argyll, coincidentally, travels to Venice to pick up a group of unimportant paintings from an elderly Marchesa… and discovers that some unguessed connections between these minor works and the great Titian may exist – and may have gotten someone killed. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Great fun to read, but far from brilliant. Since so much of my life and education have revolved around art, and my childhood was spent largely in the musueums of Italy where I lived then, books with art as the background are especially enjoyable for me. The flavor of Italian city life is well evoked in this story and made me a bit homesick. Anyhow, as mysteries go, this one was better than average,but no where close to the masterful An Instance of the Fingerpost. ( )
To Dick
The initial discovery was made by the gardener of the Giardinetti Reali, an old and stooped figure whose labours generally pass unnoticed by the millions of tourists who come to Venice every year,even by those who eat their sandwiches amidst his creation as they get their breath back from overdosing on architectural splendour.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425168956, Mass Market Paperback)

From New York Times bestselling author Iain Pears...

Flavia di Stefano of Rome's Art Theft Squad and art historian Jonathan Argyll have charmed mystery readers around the world. Their latest case is baffling to the extreme, when clues from a Titian researcher's death by mugging point to murder--and a criminal conspiracy...

"[An] elegant mystery...but the real work of art here is the plot, a piece of structural engineering any artist would envy."--New York Times

"Light and sassy...Agatha would have loved it." --Los Angeles Times

* Iain Pears is the author of the highly acclaimed New York Times bestseller An Instance of the Fingerpost

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:28 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,469,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible