The Titian Committee by Iain Pears

The Titian Committee (original 1991; edition 2007)

by Iain Pears

Member:pgmcc
Title:The Titian Committee
Authors:Iain Pears
Info:HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (2007), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:**1/2
Tags:Unread, Literary, 2012Nov

The Titian Committee by Iain Pears (1991)

English (10)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (12)
In The Titian Committee, the junior, female member of a group of art historians is found murdered in a Venice botanical garden. Local police suspect that it’s a mugging gone wrong – but when Flavia makes an appearance on the scene, she suspects a more malicious intent. Soon, interviews with the surviving members of the committee reveal a web of personal rivalries, dislikes, and unethical doings. And when the surviving members become not-all-still-surviving, it becomes clear that at least one murderer is at work. Jonathan Argyll, coincidentally, travels to Venice to pick up a group of unimportant paintings from an elderly Marchesa… and discovers that some unguessed connections between these minor works and the great Titian may exist – and may have gotten someone killed. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Great fun to read, but far from brilliant. Since so much of my life and education have revolved around art, and my childhood was spent largely in the musueums of Italy where I lived then, books with art as the background are especially enjoyable for me. The flavor of Italian city life is well evoked in this story and made me a bit homesick. Anyhow, as mysteries go, this one was better than average,but no where close to the masterful An Instance of the Fingerpost. ( )
  lucybrown | Sep 27, 2015 |
While this is the third Iain Pears novel I have read it is my first Johnathan Argyll Art Mystery. Had this been my first experience of Iain Pears’ work I may not have read as many as three. This book is a light whodunit set mostly in Venice with excursions to a few other parts, including Padua and southern France. The structure is very much of its ilk, even including a scene where all the suspects are gathered into the same location for the “detectives” to unveil their discoveries and reveal the guilty parties.

I am glad to see that Pears’ writing improved over the years. The Titian Committee was one of his first books and the other Pears’ books I have read were produced some ten years later. These were [An Instance of the Finger Post] and [Stone’s Fall], both excellent books, intricately plotted and very informative.

The Titian Committee on the other hand is a much simpler tale, lacks the maturity of the writing in his later books, and seems to be internally inconsistent with respect to some of the personality attributes of central characters. It does, however, include interesting material about art work and, in particular, the life of Titian.

I will read more Iain Pears, but I will expect less of his Johathan Argyll art mysteries, apart from informative details on art. ( )
  pgmcc | Nov 18, 2012 |
To Dick
The initial discovery was made by the gardener of the Giardinetti Reali, an old and stooped figure whose labours generally pass unnoticed by the millions of tourists who come to Venice every year,even by those who eat their sandwiches amidst his creation as they get their breath back from overdosing on architectural splendour.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425168956, Mass Market Paperback)

From New York Times bestselling author Iain Pears...

Flavia di Stefano of Rome's Art Theft Squad and art historian Jonathan Argyll have charmed mystery readers around the world. Their latest case is baffling to the extreme, when clues from a Titian researcher's death by mugging point to murder--and a criminal conspiracy...

"[An] elegant mystery...but the real work of art here is the plot, a piece of structural engineering any artist would envy."--New York Times

"Light and sassy...Agatha would have loved it." --Los Angeles Times

* Iain Pears is the author of the highly acclaimed New York Times bestseller An Instance of the Fingerpost

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:28 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,918,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible