The Titian Committee by Iain Pears

The Titian Committee (original 1991; edition 2007)

by Iain Pears

Member:pgmcc
Title:The Titian Committee
Authors:Iain Pears
Info:HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (2007), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:**1/2
Tags:Unread, Literary, 2012Nov

The Titian Committee by Iain Pears (1991)

English (6)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (8)
While this is the third Iain Pears novel I have read it is my first Johnathan Argyll Art Mystery. Had this been my first experience of Iain Pears’ work I may not have read as many as three. This book is a light whodunit set mostly in Venice with excursions to a few other parts, including Padua and southern France. The structure is very much of its ilk, even including a scene where all the suspects are gathered into the same location for the “detectives” to unveil their discoveries and reveal the guilty parties.

I am glad to see that Pears’ writing improved over the years. The Titian Committee was one of his first books and the other Pears’ books I have read were produced some ten years later. These were [An Instance of the Finger Post] and [Stone’s Fall], both excellent books, intricately plotted and very informative.

The Titian Committee on the other hand is a much simpler tale, lacks the maturity of the writing in his later books, and seems to be internally inconsistent with respect to some of the personality attributes of central characters. It does, however, include interesting material about art work and, in particular, the life of Titian.

I will read more Iain Pears, but I will expect less of his Johathan Argyll art mysteries, apart from informative details on art. ( )
  pgmcc | Nov 18, 2012 |
Another fun read. Wish I'd started at the beginning. Seeing the romance between Jonathan and Flavia develop in reverse order is rather odd. ( )
  krisiti | Jul 1, 2009 |
So-so. It may be a function of the fact that I just came from reading two amazing books and this was just too light and predictable. I may try it on audiobook sometime. ( )
  hemlokgang | Oct 20, 2008 |
Pears gets more into his stride in this, the second book in the series. Enjoyable characters and a plot just complicated enough to be distracting make it a perfect book for reading when ill. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Jan 19, 2008 |
To Dick
The initial discovery was made by the gardener of the Giardinetti Reali, an old and stooped figure whose labours generally pass unnoticed by the millions of tourists who come to Venice every year,even by those who eat their sandwiches amidst his creation as they get their breath back from overdosing on architectural splendour.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425168956, Mass Market Paperback)

From New York Times bestselling author Iain Pears...

Flavia di Stefano of Rome's Art Theft Squad and art historian Jonathan Argyll have charmed mystery readers around the world. Their latest case is baffling to the extreme, when clues from a Titian researcher's death by mugging point to murder--and a criminal conspiracy...

"[An] elegant mystery...but the real work of art here is the plot, a piece of structural engineering any artist would envy."--New York Times

"Light and sassy...Agatha would have loved it." --Los Angeles Times

* Iain Pears is the author of the highly acclaimed New York Times bestseller An Instance of the Fingerpost

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:59 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,677,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible