Earthseed by Pamela Sargent

Earthseed (original 1983; edition 1983)

by Pamela Sargent (Author)

Member:GVassmer
Title:Earthseed
Authors:Pamela Sargent (Author)
Info:HarperCollins (1983), Edition: 1st, 289 pages
Tags:SFF

Earthseed by Pamela Sargent (1983)

A good read if you have nothing better to do. Lacked some sense and knowledge at some points but overall an okay read. ( )
  gracefranks25 | Apr 24, 2016 |
Re-read in 2012. A childhood favorite! ( )
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
To be honest, when I first looked up Earthseed by Pamela Sargent on GoodReads I choked a little bit with laughter seeing it's original, 1983 cover. It was cheesy, embarrassing, and frankly everything I remember reading when I was 10 years old in the 80's.

Thankfully, the edition I received from TOR Teen featured an updated cover and, after reading a few reviews, I dove into the story with hope.
After just a few pages I was immediately reminded of Beth Revis' Across the Universe - which was not a bad thing, just made me remember the hope I had to see more sci-fi leaning Young Adult fiction out there and less paranormal-romance.

Earthseed gave me just about everything I look for in a sci-fi-"lite" book. It wasn't too filled with technical terms that I had to struggle to figure out what was going on, in fact almost immediately I knew exactly what was happening, between the sentient Ship and the children. What I had an issue with, however, was the blatant type-casting of both races and disabilities. Since this book was written in the early 80's I think it's safe to say that Pamela Sargent was definitely not aware of what we are today. So if you want to read this book, keep in mind the year it was published - not that it gives Sargent an excuse (and I'm rather surprised that TOR Teen editors did not tweak it a bit), just that it was written nearly 30 years ago. ( )
  TheLostEntwife | May 23, 2012 |
Earthseed by Pamela Sergent was originally published in 1983. Somehow this book has escaped my attention until now. Earthseed is an interesting story about a spaceship named Ship, that has been programmed to find an inhabitable planet to populate with humans. These humans have never lived anywhere but on Ship. Ship has raised them, taught them, and prepared them to start a new life on a new planet.
Zoheret is a strong willed girl. She doesn't just blindly go with the crowd. She questions Ship's judgment when it releases them into a part of the ship that resembles a wilderness. Zoheret and her shipmates must learn survival skills and how to live independently of Ship. Situations arise that turn shipmates against each other, but soon they have to learn to work together to overcome a barrier that threatens their survival.
This story blew me away. It's like Survivor meets Battlestar Galactica. I started reading and didn't put this book down until I was finished. Even then I wanted more. Thankfully Earthseed is the first book in a trilogy so I'll get my wish. This book was exciting and full of adventure. It's definitely one of the best books I've read in some time. You're going to want to read it. It's also going to become a major motion picture. No details yet on when it's coming out or who will be in it. This story is great and I can definitely picture it on the big screen. ( )
  mt256 | May 11, 2012 |
The premise: ganked from BN.com: Ship hurtles through space. Deep within its core, it carries the seed of humankind. Launched by the people of a dying Earth over a century ago, its mission is to find a habitable world for the children--fifteen-year-old Zoheret and her shipmates--whom it has created from its genetic banks.

To Zoheret and her shipmates, Ship has been mother, father, and loving teacher, preparing them for their biggest challenge: to survive on their own, on an uninhabited planet, without Ship's protection. Now that day is almost upon them . . . but are they ready to leave Ship? Ship devises a test. And suddenly, instincts that have been latent for over a hundred years take over. Zoheret watches as friends become strangers--and enemies. Can Zoheret and her companions overcome the biggest obstacle to the survival of the human race--themselves?

My Rating

Give It Away: For the most part, I'm glad I read it. There's plenty of food for thought here, especially if you sit down and really think about what the author may be trying to say about various situations. It'd be easy to dismiss the book as relying too heavily on violence and showing bad romantic pairings, but it's more interesting to see what those choices are saying rather than assuming the author is an idiot. This might be my first book by Sargent, but I can tell the author isn't an idiot. The book is a product of its time, and it's definitely got something to say. That's what's interesting, and that's what's going to hold my interest with the second book, unless Sargent's style has evolved, and then that will likely hold my interest as well. Overall, Earthseed is a fast read, especially once you get to part two and the characters mature a bit more. Fans of Dom Testa's Galahad series will likely get into this book, but I should note that Testa's series definitely has a more optimistic note, whereas so far, Sargent's series tainted a bit by the darkness humanity can't escape. Again, it's interesting, and I think there's enough action to keep teen readers entertained. But for my part, this isn't a book I'll cherish and keep, so once I catch up on the series, I'll likely be passing the titles on.

Review style: There's actually a lot to discuss regarding this book: how its age affects the modern reader, my guess as to some now-published authors I think were inspired by this book, and most important, the nature of violence and the role in plays in this YA novel, which eventually stops feeling like a YA novel at all, and how's there's a strange discord with that. Spoilers, yes, as I notably want to talk about the nature of violence and how it plays out in the story, so if spoilers bother you, don't click the link below for the full review at my LJ. Everyone else, onward! As always, comments and discussion are most welcome. :)

REVIEW: Pamela Sargent's EARTHSEED

Happy Reading! ( )
1 vote devilwrites | Dec 6, 2010 |

Pamela Sargentprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765352877, Mass Market Paperback)

To Zoheret and her shipmates, Ship has been mother, father, and loving teacher, preparing them for their biggest challenge: to survive on their own, on an uninhabited planet, without Ship's protection. Now that day is almost upon them...but are they ready to leave Ship? Ship devises a test. And suddenly, instincts that have been latent for over a hundred years take over. Zoheret watches as friends become strangers--and enemies. Can Zoheret and her companions overcome the biggest obstacle to the survival of the human race--themselves?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:49 -0400)

Before Zoheret and her companions can populate a new planet, they must learn to conquer those same instincts that almost destroyed their ancestors on Earth over one hundred years ago.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,406,712 books! | Top bar: Always visible