What Happened by Hillary Rodham Clinton

What Happened

by Hillary Rodham Clinton

9204714,453 (3.89)34

I Enjoyed the book. I thought Hillary gave the reader good insight into her reasoning and feelings. I believe she explained some of the strategy of her 2016 campaign. I imagine some readers will be looking for her to "fall on her sword" more ie: give a more detailed accounting of mistakes she made during the campaign. While she states that there are plenty of things she could have done better, she doesn't spend a lot of time castigating herself. She addresses the mostly midwestern states she lost that she was expected to win and says in most of them, the campaign did a sufficient amount of outreach. People will re-litigate this forever but it was good to get the insight of a person who's often presented in a distorted view.
Ultimately I thought Hillary used the book to give a more authentic view of herself than usually gets into the media, so I was pleased with the book.
  7HillsGil | May 25, 2019 |
My general thoughts while listening to this audiobook:

"Oh, this is sounding a little like sour grapes. Hope the whole book isn't like this..."

"Yes...yes...YES!!! Why didn't you say this a year ago???"

"No, you're a day late and a dollar short with this one, Hil."

"Yes, yes...wish I could hug her right now."

"No, not with the sour grapes again."

"Yes, back on track."

"Oop...back to the sour grapes."

You get the idea. There are some shining, brilliant and genuinely genuine and funny moments in this book. There are several places where it is just bitter (and a bit hateful). If it were anyone other than Mrs. Clinton, I would be a bit more forgiving. But I hold her to a high standard (that is more on me than her. I hold all of my women standard-bearers to higher standards). I wanted to love this book, and it ended up being just ok.
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |
OMG! Anyone who cares about anything should read this book. Republicans and Hillary haters should especially read it. Journalists especially need to study it.
She evoked many tears, many tingling shivers and with almost every page serious deliberation about community, government and the meaning and purpose of life. She is a woman who has modeled a life of grace, purpose and determination to help others. I will never understand those who have vilified her but after reading her design for living, I am eager to listen to such voices, dialog with them and try to find common ground if it makes common sense. I do not understand God's will when it comes to events which seem so obviously contrary to traditional Christian values. But what is faith than putting one foot in front of the next when we don't understand or feel like events reward hate, greed, and division. ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
Interesting, insightful, intelligent, at times angry, honest, and also, terrifying. This is the story of Hillary Clinton's election. It covers a little of everything. her early life and aspirations, briefly her time as first lady and Secretary of State. but most importantly, the election itself. She is sometimes brutally honest about her own mistakes, but also honest about the election and, as the title aludes, what happened. Trump, Russia, those damn emails and more are all covered. Well worth the read. ( )
1 vote spooks101 | Dec 4, 2018 |
This was a brutal cocktail of sensationalized victimhood and mind numbing anecdotes. There were some slightly more wild sucker punches in the later chapters but I couldn’t appreciate many of them. As bad as Hillary is at being a politician, she is much worse at being a human being.

Choice quotes have been seeping out for weeks, and I’ll admit that I reacted to one of them — “Now I’m letting down my guard” — as if the smoke alarm had started shrieking in my living room. Why believe her? In her previous books, she measured her words with teaspoons and then sprayed them with disinfectant.

Then again, we’ve been told over and over that Clinton is very different in private. And she is now a private citizen.

This distinction seems to have made all the difference.

“What Happened” is not one book, but many. It is a candid and blackly funny account of her mood in the direct aftermath of losing to Donald J. Trump. It is a post-mortem, in which she is both coroner and corpse. It is a feminist manifesto. It is a score-settling jubilee. It is a rant against James B. Comey, Bernie Sanders, the media, James B. Comey, Vladimir Putin and James B. Comey. It is a primer on Russian spying. It is a thumping of Trump. (“I sometimes wonder: If you add together his time spent on golf, Twitter and cable news,” she writes, “what’s left?”)

Clinton, Hillary Rodhamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Louvenberg, Marie-AnneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peters-Collaer, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schulz, AdamIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shipkin, StuartIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If you are tired, keep going.
If you are scared, keep going.
If you are hungry, keep going.
If you want to taste freedom, keep going.
—Harriet Tubman
For the team who stood with me in 2016 and worked their hearts out for a better, stronger, fairer America.  Being your candidate was one of the greatest honors of my life.
Deep breath.

Hardcover, 1st ed.

The former secretary of state relates her experiences as the first woman candidate nominated for president by a major party, discussing the sexism, criticism, and double standards she had to confront, and how she coped with a devastating loss. "For the first time, Hillary Rodham Clinton reveals what she was thinking and feeling during one of the most controversial and unpredictable presidential elections in history. Now free from the constraints of running, Hillary takes you inside the intense personal experience of becoming the first woman nominated for president by a major party in an election marked by rage, sexism, exhilarating highs and infuriating lows, stranger-than-fiction twists, Russian interference, and an opponent who broke all the rules. This is her most personal memoir yet."--Amazon.com "'In the past, for reasons I try to explain, I've often felt I had to be careful in public, like I was up on a wire without a net. Now I'm letting my guard down.' For the first time, Hillary Rodham Clinton reveals what she was thinking and feeling during one of the most controversial and unpredictable presidential elections in history. Now free from the constraints of running, Hillary takes you inside the intense personal experience of becoming the first woman nominated for president by a major party in an election marked by rage, sexism, exhilarating highs and infuriating lows, stranger-than-fiction twists, Russian interference, and an opponent who broke all the rules. This is her most personal memoir yet. In these pages, she describes what it was like to run against Donald Trump, the mistakes she made, how she has coped with a shocking and devastating loss, and how she found the strength to pick herself back up afterward. With humor and candor, she tells readers what it took to get back on her feet--the rituals, relationships, and reading that got her through, and what the experience has taught her about life. She speaks about the challenges of being a strong woman in the public eye, the criticism over her voice, age, and appearance, and the double standard confronting women in politics. She lays out how the 2016 election was marked by an unprecedented assault on our democracy by a foreign adversary. By analyzing the evidence and connecting the dots, Hillary shows just how dangerous the forces are that shaped the outcome, and why Americans need to understand them to protect our values and our democracy in the future. The election of 2016 was unprecedented and historic. What Happened is the story of that campaign and its aftermath--both a deeply intimate account and a cautionary tale for the nation."… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,641,448 books! | Top bar: Always visible