The Wings of the Sphinx (Inspector…

The Wings of the Sphinx (Inspector Montalbano Mysteries) (original 2006; edition 2009)

by Andrea Camilleri, Stephen Sartarelli (Translator)

Member:pamelad
Title:The Wings of the Sphinx (Inspector Montalbano Mysteries)
Authors:Andrea Camilleri
Other authors:Stephen Sartarelli (Translator)
Info:Penguin Books (2009), Edition: 1, Paperback, 231 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Italy, Crime, Darebin, 2012

The Wings of the Sphinx by Andrea Camilleri (2006)

English (21)  Spanish (3)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  All (29)
I love this series and love Inspector Montalbano, not many books translate well but these ones do. A great little group of characters that have been pulled together with always some interesting crimes or murders for him to solve. Good, light, fun reading and I look forward to continuing with the next book in the series. Although I do have to say he needs to sort out his love life before it is too late! Haven't read these? Do give them a try. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Feb 20, 2017 |
I read this one twice, because it wasn't marked in my library, and liked it each time. ( )
  ffortsa | Nov 6, 2016 |
Though this entry in the Inspector Montalbano series felt shorter than typical, the mystery didn't suffer at all. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jul 29, 2016 |
This is my first Inspector Montalbano book (even though it's book 11 in the series) but it won't be my last. I really enjoyed the backdrop of Sicily and its people and culture. I particularly appreciated that the Mafia background was present, but was not the defining element of the story. That made the storyline more interesting. Plus, Montalbano is such an interesting character. I really enjoyed this book. ( )
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
First, my compliments to Stephen Sartarelli on his translation and notes compiled for the reader to understand every nuance of Camilleri's written word.
Some say that the pace of the book is slow, but, I enjoyed this differing flavor on a detective novel. Camilleri is able to immerse us in the world of Inspector Montalbano: his love and enjoyment of mediterranean food coupled with a detailed description of the sea and the warm and rocky Sicilian geography. With a mix of humor, cynicism, compassion, and love of good food, Montalbano goes into battle against the powerful and the corrupt who are determined to block his path. This is a"delicious" discovery for mystery afficionados and fiction lovers. (less) ( )
  FAR2MANYBOOKS | Mar 25, 2016 |

Quadruppani, SergeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sartarelli, StephenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vidal, PauTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woźniak, MonikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whatever happened to those early mornings when, upon awakening, for no reason, he would feel a sort of current of pure happiness running through him?

Chief Insp. Salvo Montalbano finds himself in the midst of a serious crisis with his significant other, Livia. He is uncertain what he can and should do to repair the rift that has developed between them. Meanwhile, the inspector must tackle a difficult case—the gunshot murder of an attractive young woman whose nude body was left in a dump. As Montalbano and his team first attempt to identify the victim based on a butterfly tattoo on her left shoulder, they learn of a possible link to an influential Catholic charity. Soon they start to feel political pressure to steer the inquiry in a different direction.

Becoming increasingly disillusioned with his violent career and his on-again, off-again relationship with Livia, Inspector Salvo Montalbano investigates the shooting death of a young woman whose tattoo links her to the underworld sex trade.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,174,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible