Mad Hatters and March Hares: All-New Stories…

Mad Hatters and March Hares: All-New Stories from the World of Lewis… (2017)

by Ellen Datlow (Editor)

Other authors: Richard Bowes (Contributor), C. S. E. Cooney (Contributor), Kris Dikeman (Contributor), Andy Duncan (Contributor), Jeffrey Ford (Contributor)12 more, Stephen Graham Jones (Contributor), Matthew Kressel (Contributor), Seanan McGuire (Contributor), Priya Sharma (Contributor), Delia Sherman (Contributor), Angela Slatter (Contributor), Catherynne M. Valente (Contributor), Genevieve Valentine (Contributor), Katherine Vaz (Contributor), Kaaron Warren (Contributor), Ysabeau S. Wilce (Contributor), Jane Yolen (Contributor)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Won this in the early reviewers program.
I usually enjoy stories that take place in an established world with established characters but kind of put interesting spins on those places. This is a collection of short stories with a couple of poems mixed in by different authors all based on Alice In Wonderland.
Pretty enjoyable, kind of a mixed bag. some of these stories I really enjoyed others not so much. all were interesting. Some were too dark for my taste. The readers did a good job on some stories, while others they seemed to be just reading.
A note on the format. This was the audio version on MP3 CDs. These are CDs that won't play anywhere except a computer, I find these annoying because I have to download them to my PC, then upload them to an MP3 player to listen to. Regular CDs would be so much more enjoyable and easy. ( )
  hredwards | May 24, 2018 |
We chose this book for our spring semester faculty book club, reading only a story or two per week. We had a fun time discussing the book. One professor was an "expert" on the Alice trilogy. Another was a great discussion leader who brought out probing questions to think about. Most of us agreed we enjoyed some stories more than others. Some stories follow the Alice books or draw more from them than others. We tended to like those stories more. We all felt the strongest stories were those at the beginning and end of the book and the mediocre ones were mostly in the middle. Poems served as "book ends." I especially enjoyed the poem shaped like a teapot. One of the more memorable stories depicts an elderly Alice and older Peter Pan in a discussion. It was a fun book for our book club. ( )
  thornton37814 | Apr 20, 2018 |
I did not enjoy this. Only a few of the authors make even slight nods to the 19th century nonsense and intelligent, sly subversiveness of the originals. This reads like dark urban fantasy verging into horror. Sort of tales of wonder-why land. ( )
  quondame | Mar 6, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A collection of short stories and poems from various authors all about Wonderland and their many quirky characters. Each story is very different. Some are light-hearted and fun, others are dark and adult. Some try to emulate Lewis Carrol's writing style (many successfully), and others have their own style. I very much enjoyed many of the stories and felt sucked back into that rabbit hole. If you are a fan of Alice in Wonderland, or one of it many representation, I would definitely check out this anthology. The narration for the audiobook is very well done, but I think it would be better read in the physical format. With the large amount of different stories and authors, it would be nice to be able to flip back and recall past stories with ease that an audiobook doesn't allow you. ( )
  renbedell | Mar 5, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I thought this was a fun tribute to Lewis Carroll and Alice and the gang. Staying true to the language and timing of the Wonderland world, each entry was unique and intricate.

I received the audio of this and it would have been nice had there actually been a table of contents on the CD case for easy reference to story titles and authors. A shout out to the cover artwork -- beautiful and sinister, like the stories themselves. The narrators add to each story with their wonderful voices.

While I love audios, I really think a physical book in my hands would have been more satisfying with this particular work. To see the words, to watch the flow of the stories tumble into place-- I would have enjoyed them more. There is just something about the language of Alice in Wonderful -- one needs to keep a close eye on the words lest they sprout legs and run off down a rabbit hole. ( )
  DanaJean | Feb 12, 2018 |

Vaz, KatherineContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Warren, KaaronContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilce, Ysabeau S.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yolen, JaneContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

From master anthologist Ellen Datlow comes an all-original of weird tales inspired by the strangeness of Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There. Between the hallucinogenic, weird, imaginative wordplay and the brilliant mathematical puzzles and social satire, Alice has been read, enjoyed, and savored by every generation since its publication. Datlow asked eighteen of the most brilliant and acclaimed writers working today to dream up stories inspired by all the strange events and surreal characters found in Wonderland.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Ellen Datlow's book Mad Hatters and March Hares is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,836,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible