Three Men in a Boat: To Say Nothing of the…

Three Men in a Boat: To Say Nothing of the Dog! (Penguin Popular Classics) (original 1889; edition 1994)

by Jerome Klapka Jerome (Author)

5,498202790 (3.9)594
Member:Ygraine
Title:Three Men in a Boat: To Say Nothing of the Dog! (Penguin Popular Classics)
Authors:Jerome Klapka Jerome (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (1994), 184 pages
Collections:To read

Three Men in a Boat—To Say Nothing of the Dog by Jerome K. Jerome (1889)

My Man Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (TadAD)
    TadAD: Imagine Bertie, Bingo and Barmie trying to organize a two-week boating expedition up the Thames. Conversely, imagine J., Harris and George trying to steal a cow creamer for their aunt. There you have it.
    To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (wookiebender)
    The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (raizel)
    raizel: Both have spiritual, transcendent moments in what are, for the most part, silly stories.
    Jeeves & Wooster: The Inimitable Jeeves; Carry On, Jeeves; Very Good, Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (Osbaldistone)
    The World of Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (meggyweg)
    The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith (meggyweg, John_Vaughan)
    The Book of Tea by Kakuzō Okakura (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two books which appear to be about mundane matters on the surface, but are really about how to live life to the fullest
    Swing, Swing Together by Peter Lovesey (myshelves)
    myshelves: Victorian police novel utilizing the theme of Jerome's book.
    Cordelia Underwood: Or, The Marvelous Beginnings of the Moosepath League by Van Reid (wvlibrarydude)
    The Pickwick Papers, Vol 1 by Charles Dickens (_eskarina)
    On Tremendous Trifles by G. K. Chesterton (VivienneR)
    La vida exagerada de Martín Romaña by Alfredo Bryce Echenique (chrisharpe)
    Un Homme et une femme dans un bâteau by José-Marie Piquard (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: version moderne sur une rivière française

English (191)  Swedish (3)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Czech (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All (200)
I think I really don't like stories to do with a boat much. Life of Pi and The Old Man and The Sea all took place on a boat and they were dreary at times. Three Men in a Boat follows a formula. At the places they passed, the narrator would give a history of these places or he would be triggered into narrating some past events. It would really be very uninteresting if there were not passages of beauty interspersed in the story, such as the one on night and its restorative power. ( )
  siok | Feb 10, 2018 |
A Victorian era collection of anecdotes about three impractical friends who decide a two-week boating holiday up the River Thames would be perfectly sublime. Little do these hypochondriacs suffering from 'overwork' take note of the practicalities involved. Along with fox-terrier Montmorency they wrestle with ropes, inclement weather, lack of a tin opener and other mishaps in this classic comedy. Fabulous to know that they were just as mad in 1889 as we are today! ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | Jan 18, 2018 |
This is an adorable romp through the Victorian countryside with 3 ridiculous, lazy men (who can't cook and know barely anything about roughing it) who go on a week-long boating trip up the river Thames with their terrier.

I don't read an awful lot of classics--not because I don't love them, but because I love brain-melting, emotional fluff too much. But after reading To Say Nothing of the Dog, I was curious about Three Men in a Boat, which is apparently a beloved (and hilarious) Victorian novel.

It is 125 years old, but all of the humor makes as much sense today as it did the day it was written. And that's what it's great for--not because it has a clear, strong, well-described story (which it doesn't), but because it's a loose collection of hilarious stories.

Those are what carry the novel. In fact, I've never seen a more appropriate Wikipedia article. The intro says it all: The "travel guide" bits are maudlin and generally dull, while the slapstick- and comedy-filled anecdotes are great. That also means the first half of the book is generally more interesting than the later half, since the travelogues get more numerous the farther you get in.

Finally, I am a crazy lady in the year 2000-and-odd, so I found this entire passage amazing:

Why, all our art treasures of to-day are only the dug-up commonplaces of three or four hundred years ago. I wonder if there is real intrinsic beauty in the old soup-plates, beer-mugs, and candle-snuffers that we prize so now, or if it is only the halo of old age glowing around them that gives them their charms in our eyes. ... Will it be the same in the future? Will the prized treasures of to-day always be the cheap trifles of the day before? Will rows of our willow-pattern dinner-plates be ranged above the chimneyplaces of the great in the years 2000 and odd?"

(Later, he also imagines a future where Japanese tourists come and purchase old Victorian knick-knacks.)

It's just a charming little book. And it's free on Project Gutenberg! ( )
  ef_spencer | Nov 30, 2017 |
A funny, touching and enjoyable trip on the River Thames. Enjoyable with company that comes along and side trips the characters take you through. ( )
  charlie68 | Nov 26, 2017 |
Hilarious. Overripe comedy in the style of Mark Twain. I subtract one star only for the excruciatingly long passages which mimic and mock lyrical writing of the 19th century; it's expertly done, and I'm sure it killed at the time, but today it's a bit much. ( )
  mrgan | Oct 30, 2017 |

Ribbons, IanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salami, CarloIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Searle, Ronaldsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tedeschi, AlbertoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Greek Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
There were four of us - George, and William Samuel Harris, and myself, and Montmorency.
I can't sit still and see another man slaving and working. I want to get up and superintend, and walk round with my hands in my pockets, and tell him what to do. It's my energetic nature. I can't help it.
I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
You start on Monday with the idea implanted in your bosom that you are going to enjoy yourself. You wave an airy adieu to the boys on shore, light your biggest pipe, and swagger about the deck as if you were Captain Cook, Sir Francis Drake, and Christopher Columbus all rolled into one. On Tuesday, you wish you hadn't come. On Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, you wish you were dead. On Saturday, you are able to swallow a little beef tea, and to sit up on deck, and answer with a wan, sweet smile when kind-hearted people ask you how you feel now. On Sunday, you begin to walk about again, and take solid food. And on Monday morning, as, with your bag and umbrella in your hand, you stand by the gunwale, waiting to step ashore, you begin to thoroughly like it.
...George, who would not be able to get away from the City till the afternoon (George goes to sleep at a bank from ten to four each day, except Saturdays, when they wake him up and put him outside at two), would meet us there.
The case was becoming serious. It was now past midnight. The hotels at Shiplake and Henley would be crammed; and we could not go round, knocking up cottagers and householders in the middle of the night, to know if they let apartments! George suggested walking back to Henley and assaulting a policeman, and so getting a night's lodging in the station-house. But then there was the thought, "Suppose he only hits us back and refuses to lock us up!"

We could not pass the whole night fighting policemen. Besides, we did not want to overdo the thing and get six months.
unabridged
Trois hommes et un chien. Bienvenue en Absurdie! It is so British.

Martyrs to hypochondria and general seediness, J. and his friends George and Harris decide that a jaunt up the Thames would suit them to a 'T'. But when they set off, they can hardly predict the troubles that lie ahead with tow-ropes, unreliable weather-forecasts and tins of pineapple chunks - not to mention the devastation left in the wake of J.'s small fox-terrier Montmorency. "Three Men in a Boat" was an instant success when it appeared in 1889, and, with its benign escapism, authorial discursions and wonderful evocation of the late-Victorian 'clerking classes', it hilariously captured the spirit of its age.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:05 -0400)

"George, William, and J. agree on one thing. They're overworked and need a rest. A week on "the rolling deep"--they decide--may be just the thing! So off they go with Montmorency, the dog, anticipating the joys of long, lazy days during a glorious Victorian summer. What happens to these bungling bachelors on a two-week rowing excursion up the Thames provides fodder for one of the best-known classics of English humor." -- back cover.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441216, 0141194790, 024195682X

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 122,555,843 books! | Top bar: Always visible