Three Men In A Boat, To Say Nothing Of The…

Three Men In A Boat, To Say Nothing Of The Dog (original 1889; edition 1981)

by Jerome K.; With a New Introduction by De Vries Jerome, Peter

Title:Three Men In A Boat, To Say Nothing Of The Dog
Authors:Jerome K.; With a New Introduction by De Vries Jerome, Peter
Info:Time Incorporated (1981), Paperback
Collections:Your library, To read

Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog) by Jerome K. Jerome (1889)

My Man Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (TadAD)
    TadAD: Imagine Bertie, Bingo and Barmie trying to organize a two-week boating expedition up the Thames. Conversely, imagine J., Harris and George trying to steal a cow creamer for their aunt. There you have it.
    To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (wookiebender)
    The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (raizel)
    raizel: Both have spiritual, transcendent moments in what are, for the most part, silly stories.
    Jeeves & Wooster: The Inimitable Jeeves; Carry On, Jeeves; Very Good, Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (Osbaldistone)
    The World of Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (meggyweg)
    The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith (meggyweg, John_Vaughan)
    The Book of Tea by Kakuzō Okakura (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two books which appear to be about mundane matters on the surface, but are really about how to live life to the fullest
    Swing, Swing Together by Peter Lovesey (myshelves)
    myshelves: Victorian police novel utilizing the theme of Jerome's book.
    Cordelia Underwood: Or, The Marvelous Beginnings of the Moosepath League by Van Reid (wvlibrarydude)
    On Tremendous Trifles by G. K. Chesterton (VivienneR)
    La vida exagerada de Martín Romaña by Alfredo Bryce Echenique (chrisharpe)
    Un Homme et une femme dans un bâteau by José-Marie Piquard (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: version moderne sur une rivière française
    The Pickwick Papers, Vol 1 by Charles Dickens (_eskarina)

English (154)  Swedish (2)  Danish (1)  Czech (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (161)
no story just a bunch of anecdotes. should have been a short story book. the story weaved around the anecdotes was rather flat. a few giggles, but not as funny as expected. long passage without any action. ( )
  kakadoo202 | Nov 16, 2015 |
Such a funny little book. Jerome puts me in mind of a British Mark Twain. If it weren't for how respectful everyone seems, it could have been written in this century. I loved his little jabs at his friends as they were also pointed self-deprecating humor, leaving no one off the list - to say nothing of the dog! No wonder it has never gone out of print. Delightful. ( )
  catscritch | Nov 5, 2015 |
"People who have tried it, tell me that a clear conscience makes you very happy and contented; but a full stomach does the business quite as well, and is cheaper, and more easily obtained"

This book had me in tears of riotous laughter. I had to keep tissue handy to dab away the water from my eyes and muffle my hysterical giggling. If you have ever been sailing, rowing, fishing, camping, owned by an ornery dog, packed for a trip or vacationed with friends you will heartily appreciate the humor herein.

"One of them rubbed the cushion with the forefinger of her glove, and showed the result to the other, and they both sighed, and sat down, with the air of early Christian martyrs trying to make themselves comfortable up against the stake."

And yet, this book is also full of profoundly beautiful observations of nature:
"And the red sunset threw a mystic light upon the waters, and tinged with fire the towering woods, and made a golden glory of the piled up clouds. It was an hour of deep enchantment, of ecstatic hope and longing."

And of mankind (well Englishman, at any rate):
"After a cup of tea (two spoonsful for each cup and don't let it stand more than three minutes), it says to the brain, "Now, rise, and show your strength. Be eloquent, and deep, and tender; see, with a clear eye, into Nature and into life; spread your white wings of quivering thought, and soar, a god-like spirit, over the whirling world beneath you, up through long lanes of flaming stars to the gates of eternity!"

Really one of the most remarkable little books I've ever enjoyed. ( )
  libbromus | Oct 6, 2015 |
Originally published in 1889, Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog) by Jerome K. Jerome is still a laugh out loud funny book that reminds me of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Three friends George, Harris and the narrator J (and their dog Montmorency) take a vacation down the Thames river and manage to bring into that adventure a little bit of everything about their time and place. They kept me laughing!

Read my complete review at: http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2015/09/three-men-in-boat-to-say-nothing-of-dog... ( )
  njmom3 | Sep 24, 2015 |

Delightful and laugh out funny.

It's showing its age in places and because it has been the inspiration for many other writers (incl. Pratchett, Wodehouse and Adams) the style has been expanded upon and occasionally bettered. ( )
  StigE | Sep 15, 2015 |

Perini, RobertoIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salami, CarloIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Searle, Ronaldsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tedeschi, AlbertoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Greek Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
There were four of us - George, and William Samuel Harris, and myself, and Montmorency.
I can't sit still and see another man slaving and working. I want to get up and superintend, and walk round with my hands in my pockets, and tell him what to do. It's my energetic nature. I can't help it.
I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
You start on Monday with the idea implanted in your bosom that you are going to enjoy yourself. You wave an airy adieu to the boys on shore, light your biggest pipe, and swagger about the deck as if you were Captain Cook, Sir Francis Drake, and Christopher Columbus all rolled into one. On Tuesday, you wish you hadn't come. On Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, you wish you were dead. On Saturday, you are able to swallow a little beef tea, and to sit up on deck, and answer with a wan, sweet smile when kind-hearted people ask you how you feel now. On Sunday, you begin to walk about again, and take solid food. And on Monday morning, as, with your bag and umbrella in your hand, you stand by the gunwale, waiting to step ashore, you begin to thoroughly like it.
...George, who would not be able to get away from the City till the afternoon (George goes to sleep at a bank from ten to four each day, except Saturdays, when they wake him up and put him outside at two), would meet us there.
The case was becoming serious. It was now past midnight. The hotels at Shiplake and Henley would be crammed; and we could not go round, knocking up cottagers and householders in the middle of the night, to know if they let apartments! George suggested walking back to Henley and assaulting a policeman, and so getting a night's lodging in the station-house. But then there was the thought, "Suppose he only hits us back and refuses to lock us up!"

We could not pass the whole night fighting policemen. Besides, we did not want to overdo the thing and get six months.

Martyrs to hypochondria and general seediness, J. and his friends George and Harris decide that a jaunt up the Thames would suit them to a 'T'. But when they set off, they can hardly predict the troubles that lie ahead with tow-ropes, unreliable weather-forecasts and tins of pineapple chunks - not to mention the devastation left in the wake of J.'s small fox-terrier Montmorency. "Three Men in a Boat" was an instant success when it appeared in 1889, and, with its benign escapism, authorial discursions and wonderful evocation of the late-Victorian 'clerking classes', it hilariously captured the spirit of its age.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:05 -0400)

CLASSIC FICTION. What could be more relaxing than a refreshing holiday on the river with your two best friends and faithful canine companion, Montmorency? However, as J. discovers, there is more to life on the waves than meets the eye - including navigational challenges, culinary disasters, and heroic battles with swans, kettles and tins of pineapple. Jerome K. Jerome's delightful novel has kept readers smiling for years and his prose has found a perfect partner in Vic Reeves' glorious and witty illustrations. This title is illustrated with thirty original illustrations by comedian and artist Vic Reeves - exclusive to vintage classics.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441216, 0141194790, 024195682X

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,882,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible