Three Men in a Boat: To Say Nothing of the…

Three Men in a Boat: To Say Nothing of the Dog (Penguin Classics) (original 1889; edition 2004)

by Jerome K. Jerome, Jeremy Lewis (Editor), Jeremy Lewis (Introduction)

Member:AHS-Wolfy
Title:Three Men in a Boat: To Say Nothing of the Dog (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Jerome K. Jerome
Other authors:Jeremy Lewis (Editor), Jeremy Lewis (Introduction)
Info:Penguin Classics (2004), Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Classic, Humour

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome (1889)

My Man Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (TadAD)
    TadAD: Imagine Bertie, Bingo and Barmie trying to organize a two-week boating expedition up the Thames. Conversely, imagine J., Harris and George trying to steal a cow creamer for their aunt. There you have it.
    To Say Nothing of the Dog; or, How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last by Connie Willis (wookiebender)
    The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (raizel)
    raizel: Both have spiritual, transcendent moments in what are, for the most part, silly stories.
    Jeeves & Wooster: The Inimitable Jeeves; Carry On, Jeeves; Very Good, Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (Osbaldistone)
    The World of Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (meggyweg)
    The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith (meggyweg, John_Vaughan)
    The Book of Tea by Kakuzō Okakura (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two books which appear to be about mundane matters on the surface, but are really about how to live life to the fullest
    Swing, Swing Together by Peter Lovesey (myshelves)
    myshelves: Victorian police novel utilizing the theme of Jerome's book.
    Cordelia Underwood: Or, The Marvelous Beginnings of the Moosepath League by Van Reid (wvlibrarydude)
    On Tremendous Trifles by G. K. Chesterton (VivienneR)
    La vida exagerada de Martín Romaña by Alfredo Bryce Echenique (chrisharpe)
    Un Homme et une femme dans un bâteau by José-Marie Piquard (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: version moderne sur une rivière française
    The Pickwick Papers, Vol 1 by Charles Dickens (_eskarina)

English (148)  Swedish (2)  Danish (1)  Czech (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (155)
Three Men In A Boat is a humourous novel from the 1880s detailing the trip that three young, wealthy, Wooster-style gadabouts take from London to Oxford, up the Thames by rowing skiff. The novel is actually based on Jerome’s honeymoon, I believe, with his wife replaced by two friends to make the novel more amusing. It’s a perennial classic which has never been out of print, and it’s easy to see why. Jerome has a surprisingly modern writing style, and the book feels undated to the point where the appearance of horse-drawn carts feels anachronous. It also never stopped feeling odd when Jerome would compare the peacefulness of bygone eras with the hustling, bustling modern world of “the 19th century.”

It reminded me, inevitably, of the shaggy dog story travelogues of Mark Twain, though Jerome is far more readable than Twain. They follow the same sort of style – firmly tongue-in-cheek, constantly diverted by anecdotes, and with the strong sense that neither man would let the truth get in the way of a good story (although Jerome at least classified his as fiction). It’s not without its flaws – certainly some of the amusing stories can become long-winded and unfunny, as was the style at the time, and the humour is curiously interspersed with patches of sentimental writing in which Jerome genuinely appreciates the beauty of the Thames. Nonetheless, Three Men In A Boat is a short and pleasant novel which remains one of the more accessible pieces of writing from the 19th century. ( )
1 vote edgeworth | Aug 5, 2014 |
Not sure how I missed this humor classic. No need to review it, but I will say, by an amusing coincidence, the day I listened to J's story of his first sail, we were running around looking for the sails for my husband's boat and the day I listened to the rant about pipers and piping (especially beginners) I was on my way to a musical event where there were pipers (although not the big bagpipe kind, I admit. It is a quietly comical book and charming. **** ( )
  sibyx | Jun 18, 2014 |
A true classic that transcends the passage of time.

Despite being written in 1899 and not being particularly well received by the critics of the day this book has never been out of print and that is because it has a timeless quality. This could have been a simple travelogue but is so much more.There is no plot as such but is a series of anecdotes and witticisms as the author himself,J, and two friends,all self confessed hypochondriacs, and a dog take a boat trip up the Thames. The writing style,language and pace is both gentle and simple. The author starts telling an anecdote and then just keeps on exaggerating it with hilarious results. The tale about the cheese and the hunt for a train at Waterloo station literally had me in tears with laughter and I read virtually every page with a smile on my face. Whats more many of the observations still ring true today.

Why oh why did I take so long to read this book? It is a gem and a real joy. If you want to read a 'classic' then this is an easy as well as fun place to start. ( )
  PilgrimJess | Jun 15, 2014 |
I wanted to love this book. And I liked it until the Margate n* reference on p 41. Which stopped me cold. I read on a bit, but without the same pleasure, and then finally I gave it up. Some books are like people, and no matter what other people say, you either like them or you don't. If you like them you overlook their faults. If you can't overlook their faults, you don't like them anymore. So it goes, and so it went.
  CSRodgers | May 3, 2014 |
funny in parts, was expecting more

oddly the amusing episodes seem more so when being reminded of them when reading other reviews than when reading the actual book

ti a book that should be read by anyone who regards themselves, or wants to be, widely read

Big Ship

Lewis, JeremyIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oulton, Carolyn W. de la L.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perini, RobertoIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salami, CarloIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Greek Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
There were four of us - George, and William Samuel Harris, and myself, and Montmorency.
I can't sit still and see another man slaving and working. I want to get up and superintend, and walk round with my hands in my pockets, and tell him what to do. It's my energetic nature. I can't help it.
I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
You start on Monday with the idea implanted in your bosom that you are going to enjoy yourself. You wave an airy adieu to the boys on shore, light your biggest pipe, and swagger about the deck as if you were Captain Cook, Sir Francis Drake, and Christopher Columbus all rolled into one. On Tuesday, you wish you hadn't come. On Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, you wish you were dead. On Saturday, you are able to swallow a little beef tea, and to sit up on deck, and answer with a wan, sweet smile when kind-hearted people ask you how you feel now. On Sunday, you begin to walk about again, and take solid food. And on Monday morning, as, with your bag and umbrella in your hand, you stand by the gunwale, waiting to step ashore, you begin to thoroughly like it.
...George, who would not be able to get away from the City till the afternoon (George goes to sleep at a bank from ten to four each day, except Saturdays, when they wake him up and put him outside at two), would meet us there.
The case was becoming serious. It was now past midnight. The hotels at Shiplake and Henley would be crammed; and we could not go round, knocking up cottagers and householders in the middle of the night, to know if they let apartments! George suggested walking back to Henley and assaulting a policeman, and so getting a night's lodging in the station-house. But then there was the thought, "Suppose he only hits us back and refuses to lock us up!"

We could not pass the whole night fighting policemen. Besides, we did not want to overdo the thing and get six months.
unabridged

Martyrs to hypochondria and general seediness, J. and his friends George and Harris decide that a jaunt up the Thames would suit them to a 'T'. But when they set off, they can hardly predict the troubles that lie ahead with tow-ropes, unreliable weather-forecasts and tins of pineapple chunks - not to mention the devastation left in the wake of J.'s small fox-terrier Montmorency. "Three Men in a Boat" was an instant success when it appeared in 1889, and, with its benign escapism, authorial discursions and wonderful evocation of the late-Victorian 'clerking classes', it hilariously captured the spirit of its age.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:32 -0400)

CLASSIC FICTION. What could be more relaxing than a refreshing holiday on the river with your two best friends and faithful canine companion, Montmorency? However, as J. discovers, there is more to life on the waves than meets the eye - including navigational challenges, culinary disasters, and heroic battles with swans, kettles and tins of pineapple. Jerome K. Jerome's delightful novel has kept readers smiling for years and his prose has found a perfect partner in Vic Reeves' glorious and witty illustrations. This title is illustrated with thirty original illustrations by comedian and artist Vic Reeves - exclusive to vintage classics.… (more)

Eight editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441216, 0141194790, 024195682X

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,119,111 books! | Top bar: Always visible