Three Men in a Boat: To Say Nothing of the…

Three Men in a Boat: To Say Nothing of the Dog (Penguin Classics) (original 1889; edition 2004)

by Jerome K. Jerome, Jeremy Lewis (Editor), Jeremy Lewis (Introduction)

Member:AHS-Wolfy
Title:Three Men in a Boat: To Say Nothing of the Dog (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Jerome K. Jerome
Other authors:Jeremy Lewis (Editor), Jeremy Lewis (Introduction)
Info:Penguin Classics (2004), Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Classic, Humour

Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog) by Jerome K. Jerome (1889)

My Man Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (TadAD)
    TadAD: Imagine Bertie, Bingo and Barmie trying to organize a two-week boating expedition up the Thames. Conversely, imagine J., Harris and George trying to steal a cow creamer for their aunt. There you have it.
    To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (wookiebender)
    The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (raizel)
    raizel: Both have spiritual, transcendent moments in what are, for the most part, silly stories.
    Jeeves & Wooster: The Inimitable Jeeves; Carry On, Jeeves; Very Good, Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (Osbaldistone)
    The World of Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (meggyweg)
    The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith (meggyweg, John_Vaughan)
    The Book of Tea by Kakuzō Okakura (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two books which appear to be about mundane matters on the surface, but are really about how to live life to the fullest
    Swing, Swing Together by Peter Lovesey (myshelves)
    myshelves: Victorian police novel utilizing the theme of Jerome's book.
    Cordelia Underwood: Or, The Marvelous Beginnings of the Moosepath League by Van Reid (wvlibrarydude)
    On Tremendous Trifles by G. K. Chesterton (VivienneR)
    La vida exagerada de Martín Romaña by Alfredo Bryce Echenique (chrisharpe)
    The Pickwick Papers, Vol 1 by Charles Dickens (_eskarina)
    Un Homme et une femme dans un bâteau by José-Marie Piquard (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: version moderne sur une rivière française

English (176)  Swedish (2)  Danish (1)  Czech (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (183)
Three Men in a Boat – Jerome K. Jerome
4 stars

Chapter headings like this. A 19th century river vacation. Bygone days. Witty anecdotes. Chatty commentary. British humor. Mary recommends. Thanks, Mary. Read this before Willis’ To Say Nothing of the Dog.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Mild fun up the Thames. This book was originally commissioned as a travelogue but it does seem to have hung on remarkably well. It takes about two hours to read, but it is best taken in small bites. It was originally copyright in 1889. ( )
  DinadansFriend | May 13, 2016 |
Light funny and entertaining as well as giving you a history lesson as J and friends travel up the thames. I now want to get a fox terrier :-) ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
This book nearly got me kicked out of my own bedroom ;-)

I was looking for a humorous book by searching web-sites. This one came up in one of those lists of the "50 Funniest Books of All Time," Then I discovered the book is part of the public domain, meaning, it can be found for free online. Sold! The book is supposedly a true story about three men who decide to take a two-week trip of the river Thames (pronounced "Temms"). In addition to loosely documenting their trip it is also sprinkled with side-stories about other adventures of the participants. The book is a fun read. At times it is entertaining, at times informative, and at times (such as the night I was nearly banned until I agreed to stop reading this story) laugh-out-loud funny.

Being an older book, and one written by those who speak English on the other side of the pond, you may find yourself reaching for the dictionary to discover the meaning of words such as cynosure, luff, brands, and skulls (which are oars, not the bony structure of your head). Also, the language is nearly all rated "G".

I recommend this book, but you might want to read it when others are awake and not attempting to concentrate. ( )
  BrannonSG | Apr 4, 2016 |
Written in 1888, this book is as funny today as it no doubt was then. Three men boat along the Thames stopping at various touring spots and full of laugh out loud stories. Read it! Laugh! You'll Love it! ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |

Raven Hill, L.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salami, CarloIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Searle, Ronaldsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tedeschi, AlbertoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Greek Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
There were four of us - George, and William Samuel Harris, and myself, and Montmorency.
I can't sit still and see another man slaving and working. I want to get up and superintend, and walk round with my hands in my pockets, and tell him what to do. It's my energetic nature. I can't help it.
I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
You start on Monday with the idea implanted in your bosom that you are going to enjoy yourself. You wave an airy adieu to the boys on shore, light your biggest pipe, and swagger about the deck as if you were Captain Cook, Sir Francis Drake, and Christopher Columbus all rolled into one. On Tuesday, you wish you hadn't come. On Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, you wish you were dead. On Saturday, you are able to swallow a little beef tea, and to sit up on deck, and answer with a wan, sweet smile when kind-hearted people ask you how you feel now. On Sunday, you begin to walk about again, and take solid food. And on Monday morning, as, with your bag and umbrella in your hand, you stand by the gunwale, waiting to step ashore, you begin to thoroughly like it.
...George, who would not be able to get away from the City till the afternoon (George goes to sleep at a bank from ten to four each day, except Saturdays, when they wake him up and put him outside at two), would meet us there.
The case was becoming serious. It was now past midnight. The hotels at Shiplake and Henley would be crammed; and we could not go round, knocking up cottagers and householders in the middle of the night, to know if they let apartments! George suggested walking back to Henley and assaulting a policeman, and so getting a night's lodging in the station-house. But then there was the thought, "Suppose he only hits us back and refuses to lock us up!"

We could not pass the whole night fighting policemen. Besides, we did not want to overdo the thing and get six months.
unabridged

Martyrs to hypochondria and general seediness, J. and his friends George and Harris decide that a jaunt up the Thames would suit them to a 'T'. But when they set off, they can hardly predict the troubles that lie ahead with tow-ropes, unreliable weather-forecasts and tins of pineapple chunks - not to mention the devastation left in the wake of J.'s small fox-terrier Montmorency. "Three Men in a Boat" was an instant success when it appeared in 1889, and, with its benign escapism, authorial discursions and wonderful evocation of the late-Victorian 'clerking classes', it hilariously captured the spirit of its age.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:05 -0400)

CLASSIC FICTION. What could be more relaxing than a refreshing holiday on the river with your two best friends and faithful canine companion, Montmorency? However, as J. discovers, there is more to life on the waves than meets the eye - including navigational challenges, culinary disasters, and heroic battles with swans, kettles and tins of pineapple. Jerome K. Jerome's delightful novel has kept readers smiling for years and his prose has found a perfect partner in Vic Reeves' glorious and witty illustrations. This title is illustrated with thirty original illustrations by comedian and artist Vic Reeves - exclusive to vintage classics.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441216, 0141194790, 024195682X

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,547,095 books! | Top bar: Always visible