Three Men in a Boat: To Say Nothing of the…

Three Men in a Boat: To Say Nothing of the Dog (original 1889; edition 1981)

by Jerome K. Jerome (Author), Peter De Vries (Introduction)

4,515None1,062 (3.93)442
Member:MsCellophane
Title:Three Men in a Boat: To Say Nothing of the Dog
Authors:Jerome K. Jerome (Author)
Other authors:Peter De Vries (Introduction)
Info:Time-Life Books (1981), Paperback, 211 pages
Collections:Your library, Illinois library
Tags:fiction

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome (1889)

19th century (142) audiobook (21) boating (38) boats (21) British (103) British literature (50) classic (134) classic fiction (20) classics (124) comedy (54) ebook (39) England (156) English (64) English fiction (18) English literature (56) fiction (721) Folio Society (49) humor (708) Kindle (29) literature (84) novel (106) read (70) River Thames (18) Roman (22) Thames (62) to-read (65) travel (96) UK (26) unread (24) Victorian (47)
    My Man Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (TadAD)
    TadAD: Imagine Bertie, Bingo and Barmie trying to organize a two-week boating expedition up the Thames. Conversely, imagine J., Harris and George trying to steal a cow creamer for their aunt. There you have it.
    To Say Nothing of the Dog; or, How We Found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last by Connie Willis (wookiebender)
    The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (raizel)
    raizel: Both have spiritual, transcendent moments in what are, for the most part, silly stories.
    Jeeves & Wooster: The Inimitable Jeeves; Carry On, Jeeves; Very Good, Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (Osbaldistone)
    The World of Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (meggyweg)
    The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith (meggyweg, John_Vaughan)
    The Book of Tea by Kakuzō Okakura (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two books which appear to be about mundane matters on the surface, but are really about how to live life to the fullest
    Swing, Swing Together by Peter Lovesey (myshelves)
    myshelves: Victorian police novel utilizing the theme of Jerome's book.
    Cordelia Underwood: Or, The Marvelous Beginnings of the Moosepath League by Van Reid (wvlibrarydude)
    On Tremendous Trifles by G.K. Chesterton (VivienneR)
    La vida exagerada de Martín Romaña by Alfredo Bryce Echenique (chrisharpe)
    Un Homme et une femme dans un bâteau by José-Marie Piquard (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: version moderne sur une rivière française
    The Pickwick Papers, Vol 1 by Charles Dickens (_eskarina)

English (144)  Swedish (2)  Danish (1)  Czech (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (151)
funny in parts, was expecting more

oddly the amusing episodes seem more so when being reminded of them when reading other reviews than when reading the actual book

ti a book that should be read by anyone who regards themselves, or wants to be, widely read

Big Ship

15 March 2104 ( )
  bigship | Mar 14, 2014 |
Available as a free audiobook from https://librivox.org/ ( )
  captbirdseye | Mar 11, 2014 |
Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for this, but I found it very fidgety and kind of stressful to read. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - it has some brilliant observations of human nature, laugh out loud moments, and imminently quotable lines. The maze scene is a classic.. ( )
  dylkit | Feb 3, 2014 |
It’s such a long time since I last read this book that I wrongly remembered the bit about the narrator having every ailment but housemaid’s knee coming from the pen of PG Wodehouse rather than Jerome K Jerome. Mind you, I think there’s considerable similarity in their styles. Jerome engineers lots of farcical situations to create his humour, using the river trip to allow him many side-trips of lengthy anecdotes and sometimes light-hearted, sometimes more serious musing on behaviour. In fact, now I come to think of it, in many ways Jerome was the Seinfeld of the late 1800s in this book, commenting on the everyday behaviours of people and bringing out absurdities.

And it is a snapshot of a bygone England we get. How horrified Jerome K Jerome would be to remake that trip now with him already lamenting, through his narrator, the demise of a more pristine England. Of course, in some ways the environment is cleaner now than in those smoggy Victorian times but all the industrial and housing developments have changed the river scene.

The anthropomorphism of Montmorency, the dog, is quite amusing. I liked the way the narrator initially talked of the dog as ‘living at my expense’ and, later, on the way it responds to cats. ‘When Montmorency meets a cat, the whole street knows about it; and there is enough bad language wasted in ten seconds to last an ordinary respectable man all his life, with care. I do not blame the dog (contenting myself, as a rule, with clouting his head or throwing stones at him), because I take it that it is his nature. Fox-terriers are born with about four times as much original in them as other dogs are, and it will take years and years of patient effort on the part of us Christians to bring about any appreciable reformation in the rowdiness of the fox-terrier nature’.

I was surprised, then, to come across the account of the drowned woman, the seriousness of which didn’t seem so much in harmony with the light tone prevailing – even if Jerome did, somewhat insensitively, partially write of the suicide in a light way: ‘six shillings a week does not keep body and soul together very unitedly. They want to get away from each other when there is only such a very slight bond as that between them’.

Although this novel is quite short at just under 200 pages, I see there are lots of abridged versions of this book for use in schools. To me this might not be such a bad thing as I found the anecdotes came a little too thick and fast and in too much of the same vein. ( )
  evening | Feb 2, 2014 |

Lewis, JeremyIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oulton, Carolyn W. de la L.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perini, RobertoIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salami, CarloIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Greek Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
There were four of us - George, and William Samuel Harris, and myself, and Montmorency.
I can't sit still and see another man slaving and working. I want to get up and superintend, and walk round with my hands in my pockets, and tell him what to do. It's my energetic nature. I can't help it.
I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
You start on Monday with the idea implanted in your bosom that you are going to enjoy yourself. You wave an airy adieu to the boys on shore, light your biggest pipe, and swagger about the deck as if you were Captain Cook, Sir Francis Drake, and Christopher Columbus all rolled into one. On Tuesday, you wish you hadn't come. On Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, you wish you were dead. On Saturday, you are able to swallow a little beef tea, and to sit up on deck, and answer with a wan, sweet smile when kind-hearted people ask you how you feel now. On Sunday, you begin to walk about again, and take solid food. And on Monday morning, as, with your bag and umbrella in your hand, you stand by the gunwale, waiting to step ashore, you begin to thoroughly like it.
...George, who would not be able to get away from the City till the afternoon (George goes to sleep at a bank from ten to four each day, except Saturdays, when they wake him up and put him outside at two), would meet us there.
The case was becoming serious. It was now past midnight. The hotels at Shiplake and Henley would be crammed; and we could not go round, knocking up cottagers and householders in the middle of the night, to know if they let apartments! George suggested walking back to Henley and assaulting a policeman, and so getting a night's lodging in the station-house. But then there was the thought, "Suppose he only hits us back and refuses to lock us up!"

We could not pass the whole night fighting policemen. Besides, we did not want to overdo the thing and get six months.
unabridged

Martyrs to hypochondria and general seediness, J. and his friends George and Harris decide that a jaunt up the Thames would suit them to a 'T'. But when they set off, they can hardly predict the troubles that lie ahead with tow-ropes, unreliable weather-forecasts and tins of pineapple chunks - not to mention the devastation left in the wake of J.'s small fox-terrier Montmorency. "Three Men in a Boat" was an instant success when it appeared in 1889, and, with its benign escapism, authorial discursions and wonderful evocation of the late-Victorian 'clerking classes', it hilariously captured the spirit of its age.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:32 -0400)

CLASSIC FICTION. What could be more relaxing than a refreshing holiday on the river with your two best friends and faithful canine companion, Montmorency? However, as J. discovers, there is more to life on the waves than meets the eye - including navigational challenges, culinary disasters, and heroic battles with swans, kettles and tins of pineapple. Jerome K. Jerome's delightful novel has kept readers smiling for years and his prose has found a perfect partner in Vic Reeves' glorious and witty illustrations. This title is illustrated with thirty original illustrations by comedian and artist Vic Reeves - exclusive to vintage classics.… (more)

Eight editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441216, 0141194790, 024195682X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,481,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible