Three Men in a Boat: To Say Nothing of the…

Three Men in a Boat: To Say Nothing of the Dog (original 1889; edition 1981)

by Jerome K. Jerome, Peter De Vries (Introduction)

Member:MsCellophane
Title:Three Men in a Boat: To Say Nothing of the Dog
Authors:Jerome K. Jerome (Author)
Other authors:Peter De Vries (Introduction)
Info:Time-Life Books (1981), Paperback, 211 pages
Collections:Your library, Illinois library
Tags:fiction

Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog) by Jerome K. Jerome (1889)

My Man Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (TadAD)
    TadAD: Imagine Bertie, Bingo and Barmie trying to organize a two-week boating expedition up the Thames. Conversely, imagine J., Harris and George trying to steal a cow creamer for their aunt. There you have it.
    To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis (wookiebender)
    The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (raizel)
    raizel: Both have spiritual, transcendent moments in what are, for the most part, silly stories.
    Jeeves & Wooster: The Inimitable Jeeves; Carry On, Jeeves; Very Good, Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (Osbaldistone)
    The World of Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse (meggyweg)
    The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith (meggyweg, John_Vaughan)
    The Book of Tea by Kakuzō Okakura (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Two books which appear to be about mundane matters on the surface, but are really about how to live life to the fullest
    Swing, Swing Together by Peter Lovesey (myshelves)
    myshelves: Victorian police novel utilizing the theme of Jerome's book.
    Cordelia Underwood: Or, The Marvelous Beginnings of the Moosepath League by Van Reid (wvlibrarydude)
    On Tremendous Trifles by G. K. Chesterton (VivienneR)
    La vida exagerada de Martín Romaña by Alfredo Bryce Echenique (chrisharpe)
    Un Homme et une femme dans un bâteau by José-Marie Piquard (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: version moderne sur une rivière française
    The Pickwick Papers, Vol 1 by Charles Dickens (_eskarina)

English (151)  Swedish (2)  Danish (1)  Czech (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (158)
Half travel guide and half humorous story about three friends who go on a boating holiday on the Thames. I had heard this was funny, but I was surprised how well the humor has stood the test of time; I even laughed out loud a couple of times. I hadn't actually realized that it started out as a travel guide, so those parts were somewhat of a surprise, but still very interesting, since I know the area reasonably well. Not surprised this keeps getting listed on various "classics" lists. ( )
  -Eva- | May 31, 2015 |
First published in 1889, this was a delightful read for me although there were a couple of places where one had to remember the times in which it was written. Three young men decide they need a change from their usual London routine and decide to spend two weeks on a boating holiday, traveling up the Thames to Oxford with the dog, Montmorency, and then back again. The process of deciding what to take and the evening of packing reminded me of a group of young Boy Scouts getting ready for a camping trip - not very well thought out planning and confused and not very competent packing with the dog always in the wrong place. This was just a preview of things to come! At one point the narrator cracked me up when describing getting ready for the day and tidying the boat he remarked that the process was "a continual labour, which was beginning to afford me a pretty clear insight into a question that had often posed me -- namely, how a woman with the work of only one house on her hands, manages to pass away her time".
2 vote hailelib | Feb 1, 2015 |
Reasonably funny, in an understated old-fashioned British sort of way. ( )
  wishanem | Jan 27, 2015 |
A Penguin essential with a great cover design by Jonny Hannah.
  jon1lambert | Dec 29, 2014 |
Three Men In A Boat is a humourous novel from the 1880s detailing the trip that three young, wealthy, Wooster-style gadabouts take from London to Oxford, up the Thames by rowing skiff. The novel is actually based on Jerome’s honeymoon, I believe, with his wife replaced by two friends to make the novel more amusing. It’s a perennial classic which has never been out of print, and it’s easy to see why. Jerome has a surprisingly modern writing style, and the book feels undated to the point where the appearance of horse-drawn carts feels anachronous. It also never stopped feeling odd when Jerome would compare the peacefulness of bygone eras with the hustling, bustling modern world of “the 19th century.”

It reminded me, inevitably, of the shaggy dog story travelogues of Mark Twain, though Jerome is far more readable than Twain. They follow the same sort of style – firmly tongue-in-cheek, constantly diverted by anecdotes, and with the strong sense that neither man would let the truth get in the way of a good story (although Jerome at least classified his as fiction). It’s not without its flaws – certainly some of the amusing stories can become long-winded and unfunny, as was the style at the time, and the humour is curiously interspersed with patches of sentimental writing in which Jerome genuinely appreciates the beauty of the Thames. Nonetheless, Three Men In A Boat is a short and pleasant novel which remains one of the more accessible pieces of writing from the 19th century. ( )
1 vote edgeworth | Aug 5, 2014 |

Perini, RobertoIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salami, CarloIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Searle, Ronaldsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tedeschi, AlbertoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Greek Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
There were four of us - George, and William Samuel Harris, and myself, and Montmorency.
I can't sit still and see another man slaving and working. I want to get up and superintend, and walk round with my hands in my pockets, and tell him what to do. It's my energetic nature. I can't help it.
I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
You start on Monday with the idea implanted in your bosom that you are going to enjoy yourself. You wave an airy adieu to the boys on shore, light your biggest pipe, and swagger about the deck as if you were Captain Cook, Sir Francis Drake, and Christopher Columbus all rolled into one. On Tuesday, you wish you hadn't come. On Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, you wish you were dead. On Saturday, you are able to swallow a little beef tea, and to sit up on deck, and answer with a wan, sweet smile when kind-hearted people ask you how you feel now. On Sunday, you begin to walk about again, and take solid food. And on Monday morning, as, with your bag and umbrella in your hand, you stand by the gunwale, waiting to step ashore, you begin to thoroughly like it.
...George, who would not be able to get away from the City till the afternoon (George goes to sleep at a bank from ten to four each day, except Saturdays, when they wake him up and put him outside at two), would meet us there.
The case was becoming serious. It was now past midnight. The hotels at Shiplake and Henley would be crammed; and we could not go round, knocking up cottagers and householders in the middle of the night, to know if they let apartments! George suggested walking back to Henley and assaulting a policeman, and so getting a night's lodging in the station-house. But then there was the thought, "Suppose he only hits us back and refuses to lock us up!"

We could not pass the whole night fighting policemen. Besides, we did not want to overdo the thing and get six months.
unabridged

Martyrs to hypochondria and general seediness, J. and his friends George and Harris decide that a jaunt up the Thames would suit them to a 'T'. But when they set off, they can hardly predict the troubles that lie ahead with tow-ropes, unreliable weather-forecasts and tins of pineapple chunks - not to mention the devastation left in the wake of J.'s small fox-terrier Montmorency. "Three Men in a Boat" was an instant success when it appeared in 1889, and, with its benign escapism, authorial discursions and wonderful evocation of the late-Victorian 'clerking classes', it hilariously captured the spirit of its age.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:05 -0400)

CLASSIC FICTION. What could be more relaxing than a refreshing holiday on the river with your two best friends and faithful canine companion, Montmorency? However, as J. discovers, there is more to life on the waves than meets the eye - including navigational challenges, culinary disasters, and heroic battles with swans, kettles and tins of pineapple. Jerome K. Jerome's delightful novel has kept readers smiling for years and his prose has found a perfect partner in Vic Reeves' glorious and witty illustrations. This title is illustrated with thirty original illustrations by comedian and artist Vic Reeves - exclusive to vintage classics.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441216, 0141194790, 024195682X

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,880,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible