The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can…

The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference (original 2000; edition 2002)

by Malcolm Gladwell

Member:mmigueis
Title:The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference
Authors:Malcolm Gladwell
Info:Back Bay Books (2002), Paperback, 301 pages

The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell (2000)

English (236)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (240)
Malcom Gladwell's Tipping Point is definitely a thought provoking read. I loved the anecdotes and the lines Gladwell drew between individual psychology, social psychology, and sociology. To read my full review, click here http://auntiebeanreads.com/index.php/2015/06/09/the-tipping-point-13-years-not-l...
  AuntieBean | Jul 2, 2015 |
Analysis of what causes epidemics and fads, and the roles of "salesmen, connectors and mavins" in causing a "virus" or idea to tip. ( )
  kewlgeek | Jun 30, 2015 |
An excellent journey into the human mind and why certain events happen and why others don't.

I read Outliers a few years back, and one thing that I really liked about that book was the easy prose that made potentially mundane topics seem all that much more interesting. Knowing that, I decided to give this book a try. It certainly was an enjoyable foray into the world of how little things can make a super big difference. What is the science behind an epidemic? For curious minds, this is an excellent way to get hooked on the marvels of social sciences.

If you like books like Freakonomics, then this is a highly recommended book. ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |

I greatly enjoyed this book, especially the first 3/4 of it. Gladwell has recently taken flack for some of his work from economist Bill Easterly, been criticized by Seth Godin, and ridiculed by basketball fans for some things Bill Simmons quoted him saying. So, I'm sure one can find all kinds of details that are questionable in his book... like talking only about William Dawes and Paul Revere while never mentioning Samuel Prescott...

Anyway, the Tipping Point is actually about church planting. When I get some time I'd like to search the interwebs and see who this book helped in thinking about their churches. Gladwell only uses examples of churches in one place (explaining how John Wesley's model was so successful, experiencing exponential reproduction) and probably isn't a Christian. But his observations of natural phenomenon from sociology to various human organizations give us some things to think about.

Church planters should use his book to ask:
1. How can I make the message more sticky?
2. Who are my Connectors...those people who just seem to know everyone?
3. Who are my Mavens, people who others go to for advice or for expert opinions on what book to read or what car to buy?
4. Who are my Salesmen, those natural evangelists?
5. How can I think about myself and my congregation in context? People behave one way in one context, and another way in another context. This is just a fact. How can I better understand how this behavior affects the dynamic of my church?
6. Why is my church more than 150 people? No church should ever be bigger than 150. Through the centuries everyone from generals to the Fortune 500 have figured this out... but churches don't seem to.

I didn't like the last couple chapters, found them a little bit tough to stretch the rest of the book around. But the book is great for encouraging thinking and discussion. And if you want to know how children shows like Sesame Street and Blue's Clues developed, this is your book.

4 stars out of 5. ( )
  justindtapp | Jun 3, 2015 |
A decent exercise in dismantling social
epidemics. Better than Outliers, or at least feels less like it's undermining things. Where my mavens at? ( )
  trilliams | May 30, 2015 |
This is a test.
added by timspalding | editTesting, Testing Testing (Jan 1, 2001)

I wish Malcolm Gladwell had chosen to use his considerable skills as a journalist to describe more examples of actual tipping points. In reaching instead for theory, he reaches well beyond where he, or anyone else, can safely travel.

What Mr. Gladwell has to say is instructive. If he hasn't got all the answers, he certainly offers a fresh way of looking at the problems.

This is a test.
added by timspalding | editTesting, Testing Testing (Jan 1, 2000)

Gladwell's narrative voice is so chummy and seductive, it's easy to get drawn into his worldview.

Malcolm Gladwellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sandin, GunnarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents,
Joyce and Graham Gladwell
For Hush Puppies -- the classic American brushed-suede shoes with lightweight crepe sole -- the Tipping Point came somewhere between late 1994 and early 1995.
In this brilliant and groundbreaking book, New Yorker writer Malcolm Gladwell looks at why major changes in out society so often happen suddenly and unexpectedly. Ideas, behavior, messages, and products, he argues, often spread like outbreaks of infectious disease. Just as a single sick person can start an epidemic of the flu, so too can a few fare-beaters and graffiti artists fuel a subway crime wave, or a satisfied customer fill the empty tables of a new restaurant. These are social epidemics, and the moment when they take off, when they reach their critical mass, is the Tipping Point.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316346624, Paperback)

"The best way to understand the dramatic transformation of unknown books into bestsellers, or the rise of teenage smoking, or the phenomena of word of mouth or any number of the other mysterious changes that mark everyday life," writes Malcolm Gladwell, "is to think of them as epidemics. Ideas and products and messages and behaviors spread just like viruses do." Although anyone familiar with the theory of memetics will recognize this concept, Gladwell's The Tipping Point has quite a few interesting twists on the subject.

For example, Paul Revere was able to galvanize the forces of resistance so effectively in part because he was what Gladwell calls a "Connector": he knew just about everybody, particularly the revolutionary leaders in each of the towns that he rode through. But Revere "wasn't just the man with the biggest Rolodex in colonial Boston," he was also a "Maven" who gathered extensive information about the British. He knew what was going on and he knew exactly whom to tell. The phenomenon continues to this day--think of how often you've received information in an e-mail message that had been forwarded at least half a dozen times before reaching you.

Gladwell develops these and other concepts (such as the "stickiness" of ideas or the effect of population size on information dispersal) through simple, clear explanations and entertainingly illustrative anecdotes, such as comparing the pedagogical methods of Sesame Street and Blue's Clues, or explaining why it would be even easier to play Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon with the actor Rod Steiger. Although some readers may find the transitional passages between chapters hold their hands a little too tightly, and Gladwell's closing invocation of the possibilities of social engineering sketchy, even chilling, The Tipping Point is one of the most effective books on science for a general audience in ages. It seems inevitable that "tipping point," like "future shock" or "chaos theory," will soon become one of those ideas that everybody knows--or at least knows by name. --Ron Hogan

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:45 -0400)

An introduction to the Tipping Point theory explains how minor changes in ideas and products can increase their popularity and how small adjustments in an individual's immediate environment can alter group behavior.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,961,166 books! | Top bar: Always visible