The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can…

The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference (original 2000; edition 2002)

by Malcolm Gladwell

Member:jmcdbooks
Title:The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference
Authors:Malcolm Gladwell
Info:Back Bay Books (2002), Paperback, 301 pages
Collections:Read, Top 30 Business Leadership Books
Rating:***

The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell (2000)

English (228)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (232)
This book is an entertaining and thoughtful examination of what causes epidemics (of ideas or behaviors) among people. It's full of neat anecdotes from history, business, and science which illustrate its points. Of course talking about human behavior in broad terms requires constant generalization and over-simplification, but not so much that the book loses all coherence. I wouldn't say that this book proves very much, but it is at least thought provoking. ( )
  wishanem | Jan 27, 2015 |
You might think that the two months it took me to read The Tipping Point means I struggled with the writing or the content or the length or something similar. In fact, the delay had nothing to do with the book and everything to do with myself and life’s circumstances. The Tipping Point is a very good book, fully engaging and quite provocative. I truly enjoyed it and am excited to read the other Gladwell title that sits on my shelf. What began as such an intriguing premise evolved into an even more compelling argument with each and every anecdote and case study. From Paul Revere to Blue’s Clues to the teenage smoking epidemic, Gladwell makes a strong case for the power of influential people and word of mouth, and on several points I actually found myself rethinking long-held beliefs simply on the basis of his supposition. True, this is not light reading, but it’s worth the time and open mind one should bring to it. ( )
  phrenetic.mind | Dec 30, 2014 |
Even though I'm usually inspired and motivated by Gladwell's ideas and mostly his speakings, I find it hard to see why this book became the best seller and classic that it has become. He's got really great ideas and explains them into the closest detail, which makes me think that this book would be better and more useful as a short essay or article, not as a pretty thick book.
As someone who's constantly trying to keep up with marketing and how to reach people I got some really great thoughts on how to make my content spread wider, but still, he could have made his point in an essay or article and I would have walked away with just as much information.
A bit disappointing and overrated, but I would still recommend people to read it if you're really interested in marketing and content strategies.

[bc:Empty Roads & Broken Bottles; in search for The Great Perhaps|17829704|Empty Roads & Broken Bottles; in search for The Great Perhaps|Charlotte Eriksson|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1366309457s/17829704.jpg|24944198]
[a:Charlotte Eriksson|7056690|Charlotte Eriksson|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1367998964p2/7056690.jpg] author of [b:Empty Roads & Broken Bottles; in search for The Great Perhaps|17829704|Empty Roads & Broken Bottles; in search for The Great Perhaps|Charlotte Eriksson|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1366309457s/17829704.jpg|24944198] ( )
  theGlassChild | Dec 16, 2014 |
I am about a decade late to this book's status as a bestseller, but the subject matter still felt quite relevant and I was engaged throughout.

I am lacking in intent to begin a world movement (so far), but if I ever decide to begin a campaign toward world dominance then I will now know what type of people to get in my camp. ( )
  ratastrophe | Aug 9, 2014 |
The author uses well-chosen examples to highlight the different aspects of tipping points/epidemics. I would be interested to see what he could apply from tipping point knowledge to teaching/education. ( )
  sriemann | Jul 10, 2014 |
This is a test.
added by timspalding | editTesting, Testing Testing (Jan 1, 2001)

I wish Malcolm Gladwell had chosen to use his considerable skills as a journalist to describe more examples of actual tipping points. In reaching instead for theory, he reaches well beyond where he, or anyone else, can safely travel.

What Mr. Gladwell has to say is instructive. If he hasn't got all the answers, he certainly offers a fresh way of looking at the problems.

This is a test.
added by timspalding | editTesting, Testing Testing (Jan 1, 2000)

Gladwell's narrative voice is so chummy and seductive, it's easy to get drawn into his worldview.

Malcolm Gladwellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sandin, GunnarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents,
Joyce and Graham Gladwell
For Hush Puppies -- the classic American brushed-suede shoes with lightweight crepe sole -- the Tipping Point came somewhere between late 1994 and early 1995.
In this brilliant and groundbreaking book, New Yorker writer Malcolm Gladwell looks at why major changes in out society so often happen suddenly and unexpectedly. Ideas, behavior, messages, and products, he argues, often spread like outbreaks of infectious disease. Just as a single sick person can start an epidemic of the flu, so too can a few fare-beaters and graffiti artists fuel a subway crime wave, or a satisfied customer fill the empty tables of a new restaurant. These are social epidemics, and the moment when they take off, when they reach their critical mass, is the Tipping Point.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316346624, Paperback)

"The best way to understand the dramatic transformation of unknown books into bestsellers, or the rise of teenage smoking, or the phenomena of word of mouth or any number of the other mysterious changes that mark everyday life," writes Malcolm Gladwell, "is to think of them as epidemics. Ideas and products and messages and behaviors spread just like viruses do." Although anyone familiar with the theory of memetics will recognize this concept, Gladwell's The Tipping Point has quite a few interesting twists on the subject.

For example, Paul Revere was able to galvanize the forces of resistance so effectively in part because he was what Gladwell calls a "Connector": he knew just about everybody, particularly the revolutionary leaders in each of the towns that he rode through. But Revere "wasn't just the man with the biggest Rolodex in colonial Boston," he was also a "Maven" who gathered extensive information about the British. He knew what was going on and he knew exactly whom to tell. The phenomenon continues to this day--think of how often you've received information in an e-mail message that had been forwarded at least half a dozen times before reaching you.

Gladwell develops these and other concepts (such as the "stickiness" of ideas or the effect of population size on information dispersal) through simple, clear explanations and entertainingly illustrative anecdotes, such as comparing the pedagogical methods of Sesame Street and Blue's Clues, or explaining why it would be even easier to play Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon with the actor Rod Steiger. Although some readers may find the transitional passages between chapters hold their hands a little too tightly, and Gladwell's closing invocation of the possibilities of social engineering sketchy, even chilling, The Tipping Point is one of the most effective books on science for a general audience in ages. It seems inevitable that "tipping point," like "future shock" or "chaos theory," will soon become one of those ideas that everybody knows--or at least knows by name. --Ron Hogan

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:09 -0400)

An introduction to the Tipping Point theory explains how minor changes in ideas and products can increase their popularity and how small adjustments in an individual's immediate environment can alter group behavior.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,718,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible