The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can…

The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference (original 2000; edition 2002)

by Malcolm Gladwell

Member:jmcdbooks
Title:The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference
Authors:Malcolm Gladwell
Info:Back Bay Books (2002), Paperback, 301 pages
Collections:Read, Top 30 Business Leadership Books
Rating:***

The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell (2000)

English (224)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (227)
I am about a decade late to this book's status as a bestseller, but the subject matter still felt quite relevant and I was engaged throughout.

I am lacking in intent to begin a world movement (so far), but if I ever decide to begin a campaign toward world dominance then I will now know what type of people to get in my camp. ( )
  ratastrophe | Aug 9, 2014 |
The author uses well-chosen examples to highlight the different aspects of tipping points/epidemics. I would be interested to see what he could apply from tipping point knowledge to teaching/education. ( )
  sriemann | Jul 10, 2014 |
If you're a fan of the Freakonomics books, you'll like this one. Gladwell takes a number of cultural phenomena such as the rebirth of Hush Puppies Shoes, the success of Sesame Street to show how a given thing can go from niche to mainstream. It's not all being in the right place at the right time -- get the right cool kids to wear your stuff (the mavens) or just make a little adjustment, such as putting words in the middle of the screen where a child will focus as opposed to the bottom to turn a good idea into a great one.

Some companies can engineer this response -- Lexus did during an early recall where they took a very personal approach, knowing that their yet-small customer base was made up of car mavens who would spread good word-of-mouth about the company. Certainly, finding this Tipping Point should be a primary goal of marketing efforts if one wishes to make a little company into a big one. ( )
  JeffV | May 9, 2014 |
3.75 stars

This book looks at various "epidemics" and what causes them. One little idea or product or something that becomes a fad or very popular - how does it happen, what causes it to become popular? Gladwell considers such things as a resurgence in the popularity of Hush Puppies, Sesame Street, crime decreasing significantly in New York City in the 90s, and more.

I am disappointed in that I ended up with an abridged audio. I didn't even realize it was abridged (though it did seem really short) until I got to the Afterword and he mentioned something that he'd supposedly mentioned in the book, that I didn't remember hearing. That's when I wondered... It's only looking back now, that I see I could have checked an unabridged audio out of the library instead. I just happened to select the wrong one. I've never listened to an abridged audio before, so I never even thought to check for it.

I really liked what I heard, though. Enough that I would "rewind" if I missed something (often, I just let it go). Malcolm Gladwell was reading it, and I thought he did a good job. I was going to give the book 4 stars, but I'm bumping it down to 3.75 because it was an abridgement. I don't quite understand what the point of abridging a book for audio is, anyway. If someone's going to read it aloud, why not read the entire book? ( )
  LibraryCin | May 5, 2014 |
Gladwell has given us another book with interesting pop psychology. This time he gives an explanation about how some items, diseases, etc. 'go viral' where others do not. He describes three influential types of people; the Maven, the Salesman, and the Connector and how they move an item from relative obscurity to blinding success. ( )
  mamzel | Apr 17, 2014 |
This is a test.
added by timspalding | editTesting, Testing Testing (Jan 1, 2001)

I wish Malcolm Gladwell had chosen to use his considerable skills as a journalist to describe more examples of actual tipping points. In reaching instead for theory, he reaches well beyond where he, or anyone else, can safely travel.

What Mr. Gladwell has to say is instructive. If he hasn't got all the answers, he certainly offers a fresh way of looking at the problems.

This is a test.
added by timspalding | editTesting, Testing Testing (Jan 1, 2000)

Gladwell's narrative voice is so chummy and seductive, it's easy to get drawn into his worldview.

Malcolm Gladwellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sandin, GunnarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents,
Joyce and Graham Gladwell
For Hush Puppies -- the classic American brushed-suede shoes with lightweight crepe sole -- the Tipping Point came somewhere between late 1994 and early 1995.
In this brilliant and groundbreaking book, New Yorker writer Malcolm Gladwell looks at why major changes in out society so often happen suddenly and unexpectedly. Ideas, behavior, messages, and products, he argues, often spread like outbreaks of infectious disease. Just as a single sick person can start an epidemic of the flu, so too can a few fare-beaters and graffiti artists fuel a subway crime wave, or a satisfied customer fill the empty tables of a new restaurant. These are social epidemics, and the moment when they take off, when they reach their critical mass, is the Tipping Point.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316346624, Paperback)

"The best way to understand the dramatic transformation of unknown books into bestsellers, or the rise of teenage smoking, or the phenomena of word of mouth or any number of the other mysterious changes that mark everyday life," writes Malcolm Gladwell, "is to think of them as epidemics. Ideas and products and messages and behaviors spread just like viruses do." Although anyone familiar with the theory of memetics will recognize this concept, Gladwell's The Tipping Point has quite a few interesting twists on the subject.

For example, Paul Revere was able to galvanize the forces of resistance so effectively in part because he was what Gladwell calls a "Connector": he knew just about everybody, particularly the revolutionary leaders in each of the towns that he rode through. But Revere "wasn't just the man with the biggest Rolodex in colonial Boston," he was also a "Maven" who gathered extensive information about the British. He knew what was going on and he knew exactly whom to tell. The phenomenon continues to this day--think of how often you've received information in an e-mail message that had been forwarded at least half a dozen times before reaching you.

Gladwell develops these and other concepts (such as the "stickiness" of ideas or the effect of population size on information dispersal) through simple, clear explanations and entertainingly illustrative anecdotes, such as comparing the pedagogical methods of Sesame Street and Blue's Clues, or explaining why it would be even easier to play Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon with the actor Rod Steiger. Although some readers may find the transitional passages between chapters hold their hands a little too tightly, and Gladwell's closing invocation of the possibilities of social engineering sketchy, even chilling, The Tipping Point is one of the most effective books on science for a general audience in ages. It seems inevitable that "tipping point," like "future shock" or "chaos theory," will soon become one of those ideas that everybody knows--or at least knows by name. --Ron Hogan

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:09 -0400)

An introduction to the Tipping Point theory explains how minor changes in ideas and products can increase their popularity and how small adjustments in an individual's immediate environment can alter group behavior.

Nine editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,490,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible