Murder in the Manuscript Room by Con Lehane

Murder in the Manuscript Room

by Con Lehane

Much intrigue surrounds this murder in the library. Raymond Ambler, librarian of crime fiction, has a vested interest in solving the murder. He also has an interest in coworker Adele Morgan, who, in turn, is intrigued by an Islamic scholar doing research in the library. The scholar is a person of interest in the murder, and when Adele befriends him, she becomes a target of a violent attack. Because is this part of a series, some of the backstories of the characters are missing from this installment, making it somewhat difficult to get a handle on all the truly interesting characters if the reader has not read the previous book. Adding to that confusion is the meadering style of this book, vascilating from various story threads and people. A more direct path from the crime to its solution may have made it easier to follow. It was easy to get distracted by the personal relationships and the myriad of problems that surround them instead of focusing in the murder and its solution. The abrupt end of the mystery tells me there another book to follow. A good mystery, just not a great one. ( )
  Maydacat | Jul 31, 2018 |
Spies can be found anywhere including the library but when an undercover agent is found murdered and stuffed on the shelf, Raymond Ambler knows he needs to figure why his library was "targeted"

I have to admit that this second installment was a bit easier to read than the first and I got the beginnings of an interest in the characters. They seemed more real this book, but still have need to grow. I do think that the plot was a bit to convoluted and the book could have withstood a bit more editing.. ( )
  cyderry | Jul 3, 2018 |
I finished the book, but I kept rolling my eyes at the premise of a librarian really being that close to a police detective. I won’t be reading more in this series. ( )
  brangwinn | Jun 12, 2018 |
This was a great mystery and I was guessing through the entire book. I never did figure out what was happening until it was revealed to me. This was a well written mystery.

My thanks to netgalley and Minotaur Books for this advanced readers copy. ( )
  PamV | Mar 27, 2018 |
An employee of the New York City’s library is found murdered
It seems she is not the person she presented herself to be. Solving the case involves Raymond Ambler, the crime fiction curator at the library, a cast of his friends, family, and acquaintances, as well as the Intelligence Division of the NYPD, the investigation of the murder years ago of a trade union reformer, and perhaps some terrorists.

Despite all these characters, the story hangs together and the characters well developed. This is the second book in a series. Initially, some of the background was a little unclear. I do think reading the first book, though, would have helped in understanding the history of Ambler and his family.

It was a decent story that held my attention throughout. ( )
  vkmarco | Oct 31, 2017 |

Due November 21, 2017

When a murder desecrates the somber, book-lined halls of New York City’s iconic 42nd Street Library, Raymond Ambler, the library’s curator of crime fiction, has a personal interest in solving the crime. His quest to solve the murder is complicated by personal entanglements involving his friend—or perhaps more-than-friend—Adele Morgan. Not only does Adele’s relationship with the young woman staffer who was murdered get in the way of Ambler’s investigation, more disturbing for him is Adele’s growing interest in a darkly handsome Islamic scholar.

Soon the Intelligence Division of the New York Police Department takes over the case from NYPD homicide detective Mike Cosgrove, Ambler’s friend and sometimes partner-in-crime solving. Ambler suspects that the murder of the young woman, who’d been working at the library under an assumed name and the curious intervention of NYPD’s intelligence division are connected. The trail of intrigue leads to a seemingly unrelated murder in an upstate prison and a long ago murder of a trade union reformer.

No one else sees the connections Ambler is sure are there—not an unusual state of affairs for Ambler. But with the city’s law enforcement establishment determined to stop his investigation, the inquisitive and intrepid librarian faces challenges that may put his very life at risk. [retrieved 10/21/17 from Amazon.com]

The second in Con Lehane's 42nd Street Library Mystery, Murder in the Manuscript Room is a smart, compelling mystery in which the characters themselves are at least as interesting as the striking sleuthing. When a murder desecrates the somber, book-lined halls of New York City's iconic 42nd Street Library, Raymond Ambler, the library's curator of crime fiction, has a personal interest in solving the crime. His quest to solve the murder is complicated by personal entanglements involving his friend--or perhaps more-than-friend--Adele Morgan. Not only does Adele's relationship with the young woman staffer who was murdered get in the way of Ambler's investigation, more disturbing for him is Adele's growing interest in a darkly handsome Islamic scholar. Soon the Intelligence Division of the New York Police Department takes over the case from NYPD homicide detective Mike Cosgrove, Ambler's friend and sometimes partner-in-crime solving. Ambler suspects that the murder of the young woman, who'd been working at the library under an assumed name and the curious intervention of NYPD's intelligence division are connected. The trail of intrigue leads to a seemingly unrelated murder in an upstate prison and a long ago murder of a trade union reformer. No one else sees the connections Ambler is sure are there--not an unusual state of affairs for Ambler. But with the city's law enforcement establishment determined to stop his investigation, the inquisitive and intrepid librarian faces challenges that may put his very life at risk.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,029,954 books! | Top bar: Always visible