Twenty Years After by Alexandre Dumas

Twenty Years After (1845)

by Alexandre Dumas

Series: D'Artagnan Romances (2)

English (29)  French (2)  All languages (31)
This is the banally-named sequel to Dumas's much more famous The Three Musketeers, once again bringing together D'Artagnan and his former comrades from the various paths in life that the events of the earlier novel left them in. There are the usual swashbuckling scenes, daring escapes and dramatic confrontations, but the villain here, Mordaunt, the son of the villainess in the earlier novel, is nowhere near as striking and memorable. Part of the novel takes place in England at the time of the trial and execution of King Charles I (and which gives rise to a memorable comment from Aramis showing his contempt for England and the English - "We shall be murdered there....I hate the English - they are coarse, like every nation that swills beer"). The politics of the Fronde are rather confusing (and I remember them as such from my History A level 33 years ago!) and overall this novel is not as strong as its predecessor. ( )
1 vote john257hopper | Aug 10, 2018 |
I just finished 3 musketeers. Should have stopped. Had enough swashbuckling. If that's your thing then this is another dose of the same/
  kerns222 | May 25, 2018 |
No valid German National Library records retrieved.
1 vote | glsottawa | Apr 4, 2018 |
While Twenty Years After is great fun, it seems that the rule of weaker sequels operated even in Dumas's day. First things first: I thought the Oxford Worlds Classics translation worked a lot better than the Penguin Red Classics translation of the Three Musketeers. However, the plot straggles a little. Dumas can't really decide what story he wants to tell - the uprising of the Frondeurs in Paris, or the musketeers' sortie to England to try to save Charles I. (Am I the only one who found that whole section unconvincing, or is it just because I'm English and already know the story of Charles I?) It seemed a little too easy to have as the enemy Milady's son, whom we are meant to believe is as depraved and evil as his mother was. I found it difficult to credit Dumas's initial concept: that these supposedly bosom friends have barely met in twenty years. Nor did I think it likely that if their service to Anne of Austria was as important as the Three Musketeers makes out, she would behave to them as she does here. Nevertheless, there are many, many wonderful passages, and I did enjoy the book as a whole. And the good news is, I've just started The Vicomte de Bragelonne, and Dumas is back on form. ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Dec 8, 2017 |
Didn't finish this. I found it quite dull. ( )
  hemlokgang | Nov 8, 2017 |

Dumas, Alexandreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andræ, StaffanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Barrow, WilliamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Coward, DavidEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fernández, LorenzoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robson, WilliamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In a room of the Palais-Cardinal which we already know, near a table with silver gilt corners, loaded with papers and books, a man was sitting, his head resting in his hands.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0192838431, Paperback)

Two decades have passed since the famous swordsmen triumphed over Cardinal Richelieu and Milady in The Three Musketeers. Time has weakened their resolve, and dispersed their loyalties. But treasons and strategems still cry out for justice: civil war endangers the throne of France, while in England, Cromwell threatens to send Charles I to the scaffold. Dumas brings his immortal quartet out of retirement to cross swords with time, the malevolence of men, and the forces of history. But their greatest test is the titanic struggle with the son of Milady who wears the face of evil.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:43 -0400)

Two decades have passed since the musketeers triumphed over Cardinal Richelieu and Milady. Time has weakened their resolve, and dispersed their loyalties. But treasons and strategems still cry out for justice: civil war endangers the throne of France, and in England, Cromwell threatens to send Charles I to the scaffold. The quartet of musketeers come out of retirement to cross swords with time, the malevolence of men, and the forces of history. But their greatest test is the titanic struggle with the son of Milady who wears the face of evil.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,470,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible