The Chalk Man by C. J. Tudor

The Chalk Man (2018)

by C. J. Tudor

Recently added bycannonpl, private library, rena75, Denollear, eclipse75048, joanne79

English (76)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (78)
It could have been a good thriller if the writer was less transparent with hints as thick as an elephant, I might have been surprised at the end. ( )
  bookloverreview | Mar 11, 2019 |
I’m not usually lacking in opinions, but this book left me a bit...hmm. The center of the story is well-written, interesting, and compelling. Most of the twists are dark fun and add to the atmosphere and plot of the story. But one of the twists is just bizarre and out of context enough that it threatens to ruin the whole novel.

One of my pet peeves is authors who can’t write a psychologically cohesive character. If something feels vastly out of character, and as an author you can’t make that peccadillo seem reasonable, then you should probably dial back on the level of difficulty you’ve set yourself. Here, Tudor fails at this task but the story was good enough that I’ll likely give the author another go.

Still. That one twist, y’all. It just doesn’t work. ( )
  mediumofballpoint | Mar 4, 2019 |
Well written and atmospheric this is a tale which is told in two differing times, the year of 1986 where the incident defining the book takes place, and then in 2016 where the author pulls the story together.

Gavin hangs out with a group of six, including himself, a tomboy girl and four other boys with widely varying personalities.

On his birthday Gavin receives the gift of chalk. His teacher, who happens to be in Gavin's life at pivotal times and places, told him that when he was young, his friends left secretive chalk markings throughout the community. Enthralled, Gavin does the same with his tight group.

When they find a marking directing them to the deep, dark woods where they find a body of a young girl who is dismembered, they are all forever changed.

As the story unravels, they fall apart and in 2016, one of the group, a troubled wise guy, seeks Gavin, now an English teacher at the school where he attended as a youngster. His childhood friend wants to write a book about their story and seeks Gavin's help to pull it all together.

This is a creepy, suspenseful book. Though I very much was let down by the ending. For that reason, this book gets three out of five stars. ( )
  Whisper1 | Mar 2, 2019 |
Love love love this book! It is as if Stephen Kings’ “It” and Netflix Stranger Things had a love child.
It is fast, it is creepy, it is funny and it is disturbing AF. So, in short, my kinda book.
The story goes back and forth between 1986 and 2016 and tells the story of 5 kids and how their lives were shook by events that took place in their teen years.
The whole thing takes off after a freak accident at the town fair and spirals downwards and out of control.
With constant twists and turns, creepy settings and situations, those freaky chalk men everywhere and that *gasp* ending, this book is one not to be missed.
Already bought the second one, so that is how much I liked C.J. Tudor. ( )
  AleAleta | Feb 18, 2019 |
I really wanted to love this book, but I think it had so much hype, that it could never live up to it. I did really like it a lot though. I do not want to give the story away so will be brief in my description. The Chalk Man is told in two different time periods, one in 1986 and the other in 2016. The story opens with the death and dismemberment of a young girl. This shapes the characters in the story. Eddie is the narrator and the story is told based on what happened to him in 1986. The group of friends consists of four boys and one girl. When Gavin received a pail of chalk for his 12th birthday, the kids begin to secretly communicate with one another using stick figures drawn in chalk of various colors to know who the message is from. But someone is using white chalk and that is not a colour any of the kids used.. I really enjoyed seeing these kids grow up and become adults. They all changed based on their circumstances, but when needed, they are still there for each other. One of the other storylines deals with an abortion clinic in town (remember this is 1986) and how the townspeople react to it. There is also some situations with bullying and a teacher who has albinism and how the kids react behind his back. As the story progressed, I began to figure out who the murderer was and I was correct, but the actual unveiling was a bit scary. If you like a good thriller/suspense you will enjoy this book. The publisher generously provided me with a copy of this book via Netgalley. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
For Betty. Both of them.
The girl's head rested on a small pile of orange-and-brown leaves.

Narrated by 'Eddie' who receives a chalk drawing of a stick figure that hurtles him back to an innocent childhood game 30 years before which went terribly, terribly wrong. As history begins to repeat itself, it seems the game was never really over.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,448,377 books! | Top bar: Always visible