The Chalk Man by C. J. Tudor

The Chalk Man (2018)

by C. J. Tudor

5 fabulously creepy stars!

What. The. Heck! Y’all, the creep was deep with this one! And I have no doubt this debut novel will be the top thriller of 2018

The “Chalk Man” utterly grabs you from page one and doesn’t let go until the last word. This was one heck of a jacked up crazy-train ride. And I loved every messed up minute of it.

This is a coming of age story that is told from the perspective of Ed, switching between two timelines 1986 and 2016. The “misfit gang” Eddie Munster, Fat Gav, Hoppo, Metal Mickey and Nicky (the girl of the group) are close friends in 1986. When Fat Gav receives a box of chalks for a birthday gift, they decide out of boredom, to use the chalk to draw stick men as secret codes. Only “someone” figures it out and uses the code to lead them to a dead body of a young girl.

This book is full of great characters, not so great characters, mystery, edge-of-your-seat-suspense, lies, new secrets, old secrets, forgotten secrets, murder, bullies, creepiness, humor and a did not see that coming reveal at the end.

January 9th, y’all need to one-click this baby or head to your local bookstore.

CJ Tudor you are a Genius! And I cannot wait till your next release. When will that be? ( )
  TraceyTurnsThePage2 | Jul 23, 2018 |
Brewed with a mix of quasi-familiar ingredients - a little It, a bit Stand by Me, a dash of Stranger Things, with - perhaps - a bit of Primal Fear mixed in.

Needlessly confusing because it seems to rely upon its similarities with Stephen King and tries to be several things, all at once. Is it a supernatural thriller? A coming-of-age mystery underlaid with social issue commentary? A Bad Seed cautionary tale?

The story alternates perspectives between 2016 and 1986, but the 'kids' haven't entirely matured since that time so it's not any more satisfying to get to know them as adults as it was to 'observe' them as children.

The narrator, Ed, is particularly bland and devoid of any real personality. It's hard to see what brought Ed and his group of friends together in the first place, or what kept them together then or 30 years later other than small-town proximity. There's not a character here to root for, like, or even feel any sense of loss or concern for.

In fact, though there were plenty of twists to keep the reader's attention, there's no emotional center to the book. And then there's the one final revelation at the end, which probably isn't the mic-drop ending the author was going for.

Not by any means the worst 'thriller,' or unreliable narrator book that I've read hoping for more than it gave me. Wish it was a better book, but the author's got potential to grow if she's not set up to disappoint because of over-hype that no one could live up to. ( )
  angiestahl | Jul 2, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this thriller - it lived up to the reviews that say you will stay up and find times to read it to get to the end. The bouncing between the main character as a kid and an adult was an effective way to build suspense and tell an unfolding mystery. If you have a long plane ride you should pick this up right away! ( )
  sbenne3 | Jun 29, 2018 |
The Chalk Man by C.J. Tudor is her debut novel about 12 year old Eddie and his group of friends, and the meeting of Mr. Halloran, the Chalk Man.

Plot 5/5: This is a horror mystery with so many twists and turns. It kept me engrossed.

Characters 5/5: The characters are well fleshed out. I loved getting to know the characters.

World building 4/5: The story goes back and forth from the present to 1986, when it all happened.

Pacing 4/5: The pace was steady.

Writing 4/5: There were a couple of errors, but did not in the least interfere with the flow of the story.

Overall: 4.4

I highly recommend this book to lovers of Stephen King stories.

Won in a blog giveaway at KissinBlueKaren for the January 2018 New Release #Giveaway Hop.

Thank you, Karen! ( )
  feeroberts64 | Jun 21, 2018 |
This is an excellent thriller, leaving me on edge until the very end. It has just the right amount of tension to make reading it a pleasure. The story line was well contrived and the characters were portrayed skillfully. This book builds the suspense higher with lots of twisty turns and characters who weren't always what they seemed. It was not a book that I wanted to put down until I was completely finished.
I highly recommend The Chalk Man to those who enjoy suspense and murder mysteries. Since it takes place over many years, it really raises questions about these people and what makes them tick.
My thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the chance to read and review this book. ( )
  c.archer | Jun 4, 2018 |
For Betty. Both of them.
The girl's head rested on a small pile of orange-and-brown leaves.

Narrated by 'Eddie' who receives a chalk drawing of a stick figure that hurtles him back to an innocent childhood game 30 years before which went terribly, terribly wrong. As history begins to repeat itself, it seems the game was never really over.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,101,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible