dismiss

The Chalk Man (2018)

by C. J. Tudor

"Narrated by 'Eddie' who receives a chalk drawing of a stick figure that hurtles him back to an innocent childhood game 30 years before which went terribly, terribly wrong. As history begins to repeat itself, it seems the game was never really over" --
Recently added bythategray, Arina40, private library, ReadingProjects, AshleyVanessaGG, KShannahan, KeriLynneD

English (105)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (107)
2 stars.

You know what? It's a whole ass mood how the ~moral of the story~ for the majority of thriller novels written by women are that men are shit.

The first half of this book was kind of both very slow and simultaneously all over the place. I had issues with albinism being used as a horror device, hated that the one implied gay character is written as a pedophile/rapist... yikes??, but the second half was substantially better and it got intriguing as all the plot points were being tied together, which kind of brought it back a little from the brink of disaster for me. Side note this book deals with a lot of disturbing topics, and none of them are handled very tastefully - the main character's trauma is barely mentioned, and a lot of creepy shit other characters do is excused to the point where it exasperated me. The end plot twist though... Loved that.

Trigger warning: sexual assault & attempted rape (on page), discussions of statutory rape & adult/minor relationships, ableism, fatphobia, suicide ( )
  angelgay | Jul 1, 2020 |
A fast paced thriller that will keep you guessing til the end!

Read the full review over on kymisanreads.blogspot.com ( )
  kymisan | Jun 23, 2020 |
This was a fantastic debut novel by C.J. Tudor. It was excellently written and I was questioning everything I read. There were so many mysteries throughout the novel that I had to keep reading it within one day. It made me think more than any of the recent books that I have read. The more a book makes you think, the better the book is overall. ( )
  snickel63 | Jun 18, 2020 |
DNF.

uhh yeah i just do not care and read through some other reviews and have decided life is to short to read a predictable af thriller that isn't even written well with 2-dimensional characters ( )
  yvonnekins | May 18, 2020 |
Loved this book. When you think you know what's going on and who did what. Guess what...no you don't. ( )
  SpareTheBS | May 17, 2020 |
For Betty. Both of them.
The girl's head rested on a small pile of orange-and-brown leaves.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,956,071 books! | Top bar: Always visible