The Chalk Man: A Novel by C. J. Tudor

The Chalk Man: A Novel (original 2018; edition 2018)

by C. J. Tudor (Author)

"Narrated by 'Eddie' who receives a chalk drawing of a stick figure that hurtles him back to an innocent childhood game 30 years before which went terribly, terribly wrong. As history begins to repeat itself, it seems the game was never really over" --
Member:petrichor8
Title:The Chalk Man: A Novel
Authors:C. J. Tudor (Author)
Info:Crown (2018), 288 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Chalk Man by C. J. Tudor (2018)

English (84)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (86)
The novel bounces between events that occurred in the past and the current time. I enjoyed reading the novel where the main character tries to solve a murder from his childhood because of a threatening note he received in the present. ( )
  ladyoflorien | Nov 19, 2019 |
In 1986, when Eddie was 12, a lot of things happened. He and a new teacher saved a girl who’d been hit by debris when a carnival ride went out of control; his friend (Mickey)’s, brother (someone who had bullied Eddie, and probably other kids, too) died in the river; Eddie, Mickey, and their other friends (two more boys and one girl) started drawing symbols with chalk that meant something only to them; they found a dismembered body in the woods…

In 2016, Eddie and his friends are now 42 years old. Some have left the small town; others, including Eddie, stayed. However, they all received a letter with chalk figures on it. What is going on now?

I really liked this, especially as I was reading. There were a lot of characters, though, and many had nicknames. Somehow, at the start of each time I sat down to read, I got a bit confused as to who was who, and trying to remember what had happened the last time I read. Not sure why I had to much trouble keeping things straight in between readings, but I liked it a lot while I was actually reading it, so I’m leaving it at a 4 star rating. ( )
  LibraryCin | Nov 11, 2019 |
An accident at a fair, a drowning, a brutal beating, and a dismembered body and that is all in 1986! 4 friends discover a body in the woods. Who and why would some have reason to kill this girl? Fast forward to 2016 and the boys are now adults getting on with their lives. 1 of them ends up dead and that leads to all kinds of unanswered questions about the girl in the woods all those years ago. These characters stories are woven together and this shows how one harmless action can have unforeseen consequences. ( )
  marykuhl | Oct 24, 2019 |
Horror is not typically a genre I read so I was hesitant that this book might be too scary for me. On the contrary, I didn't find it scary enough! The first major incident is shocking and gory and potentially meaningful but then the narrative jumps back and forth between 2016 and 1986 when Eddie, the main character, and his friends were 'tweens. Tudor's storytelling technique involves long tangential yarns from Eddie that only serve to confuse the timeline rather than build suspense or terror. Tudor takes time to build his characters and they're interesting but I never felt invested in Eddie or what might happen to him. As a kid, he and his friends are strangely adversarial and, as adults, not much has changed. Finally, the symbolism of "the chalk man" is haphazardly employed and never created any sense of horror or suspense for me. ( )
  bookappeal | Oct 20, 2019 |
The Chalk Man
by C. J. Tudor
2018
Crown
4.0 / 5.0

Dark and creepy, this thriller delivers chills and thrills. A story of murder, secrets, friendship and mayhem. Told over the span of 2 decades, the dualities that just are, not labelled right or wrong, add much to the depth of characters and the horror. She is such a good writer!

1986: Eddie and his friends Gav, Mike, Hoppo and Nicky were all young kids, roaming the neighborhood by bicycle, meeting in the woods, building forts. They use chalk, each with their own color, to send secret messages to each other that no one else could read. Only they could understand their meaning.

2016: Eddie and his friends have grown up and moved on. They keep in touch but are no longer as close. Eddie receives a letter in the mail, a picture of the chalk man figures. He thinks it's a prank until he contacts his friends and they have all received the same letter....it brings back memories and they dont think much about it, until one of them dies.....who sent the pictures and why now?

I loved the alternating timelines, the charming and engaging characters ( I really liked Eddie). This is my first novel by this author, I definitely will read the others. ( )
  over.the.edge | Jul 31, 2019 |
For Betty. Both of them.
The girl's head rested on a small pile of orange-and-brown leaves.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,162,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible