Wandering Son: Volume 1 by Shimura Takako

Wandering Son: Volume 1 (original 2003; edition 2011)

by Shimura Takako, Matt Thorn (Translator), Shimura Takako (Illustrator)

Member:andrewreads
Title:Wandering Son: Volume 1
Authors:Shimura Takako
Other authors:Matt Thorn (Translator), Shimura Takako (Illustrator)
Info:Fantagraphics (2011), Hardcover, 192 pages
Collections:Your library, Read - owned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Japan, manga

Wandering Son, Volume 1 by Shimura Takako (2003)

Wandering Son: Volume 1 by Shimura Takako is the start of a middle school manga about family, friendship, and gender identity. There is also an anime series by the same name.

Shuichi Mitori and Yoshino Takatshiki are starting at a new school. Shuichi, a boy by birth, prefers to wear dresses but would never dare wear the girl's uniform to school. Yoshino, a girl by birth, is more comfortable with her fluid sense of gender. When she wants to dress like a boy, she does. It is her bravery that is the spark of a new friendship and encourages Shuichi to re-explore his own gender identity.

It's a beautiful start to the series and I hope to keep reading it. The anime, while in the spirit of the manga, rushes the early parts of Suichi's gender exploration. ( )
  pussreboots | May 17, 2014 |
At the end of the volume, the author says 'as usual, my characters are hard to tell apart, my backgrounds are too empty and I have a million other flaws to overcome'. I wouldn't be so hard on her but I did find the story hard to follow. I am perfectly willing to accept that a second reading might make things clearer but for me, although the story was fresh and intriguing, I probably wouldn't seek out other volumes. And now to read other reviews and see if I missed something...
  tixylix | May 27, 2013 |
A sparse story that has an emotional punch anyway. Sometimes the characters were confusing, namely the classmates and their own stories a bit obscure but a very important subject that doesn't get explored enough. ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |
The story focuses on Nitori and his confusion with his desire to be a girl and how Takatsuki struggles in the same way with her desire to be a boy. We see them both trying to figure out who they are in this coming of age story that deals with social perception, siblings, friends, and gender identity. This is a manga book which is a comic book done in a specific Japanese style with large eyes as a main feature and characters in middle school or junior high (the story is set in middle school). The illustrations are black and white and the book is read from back to front, the way traditional Japanese books are read. The characters are drawn very similarly to each other which makes keeping track of them a little difficult at times. That said, the confusion, insecurity, and fear of having a socially taboo secret are well handled. This is the first book in a series meant for young adults. Highly recommended for young adults who are having gender disphoria. Highly recommended. ( )
1 vote jjpionke | Oct 20, 2012 |
I found this book to be a touching and believable story about the difficulty of forging identity and finding your place in the world. Nitori and Takatsuki are both middle school kids who are coming to grips with the fact that each of them would prefer to be a different gender. This is a difficult thing to experience in real life, much less portray in fiction, and I think that the author did a wonderful job of building the story so that each character felt real, believable, and unique. Transgender stereotypes these are not.

I am looking forward to reading more of this series. ( )
1 vote Literate.Ninja | Jun 27, 2012 |

Shimura Takakoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thorn, MattTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My big sister says her dream is to become Maiko's classmate in an idol high school.
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

"The fifth grade. The threshold to puberty, and the beginning of the end of childhood innocence. Shuichi Nitori and his new friend Yoshino Takatsuki have happy homes, loving families, and are well-liked by their classmates. But they share a secret that further complicates a time of life that is awkward for anyone: Shuichi is a boy who wants to be a girl, and Yoshino is a girl who wants to be a boy" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,649,503 books! | Top bar: Always visible